How to Find the Best Funeral Homes in Sonoma County CA
When a loved one dies, grief can overwhelm the survivors. Arrangements for funerals, cremation, interment or memorial services are often too difficult to manage personally and so are best left in the caring hands of reliable funeral homes, funeral planners and mortuaries in Sonoma County CA.
The following research by The Prime Buyer's Report identifies the best funeral providers in Sonoma County CA and issues related to funeral services, including memorial services, pre-need funeral arrangements, cremation services in Sonoma County CA and more.
Updated March 16, 2017
|Adobe Creek Funeral Home|
331 Lakeville St
Petaluma, CA 94952
Areas Served: Petaluma, Santa Rosa CA, Sonoma, Glen Ellen, Healdsburg, Penngrove, Monte Rio, ...
Services: local funeral home & funeral directors for services incl. cremation,memorial services
|Pleasant Hills Memorial Park & Mortuary|
1700 Pleasant Hill Road
Sebastopol, CA 95472
Areas Served: Healdsburg CA,Sebastopol CA,Santa Rosa CA,Rohnert Park CA,Sonoma CA,Cotati CA
Services: funeral directors for memorial services, cremation,pre-need funeral arrangements
|Redwood Coast Mortuary Service|
507 Carriage Ct
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Areas Served: Santa Rosa CA,Sebastopol CA,Fulton CA,Rohnert Park CA, Sonoma CA,Healdsburg CA
Services: funeral providers & funeral pre-need sales incl caskets,headstones,cemetary plots
|Fred Young Funeral Home|
428 N Cloverdale Blvd
Cloverdale, CA 95425
Areas Served: Petaluma CA, Santa Rosa CA,Healdsburg CA,Guerneville CA,Windsor CA,Sonoma CA
Services: local funeral services, pre-need funeral sales incl. headstones, caskets,plots
|Santa Rosa Mortuary|
1540 Mendocino Ave
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Areas Served: Santa Rosa CA,Larkfield CA,Healdsburg CA,Sebastopol CA,Guerneville CA,Sonoma CA
Services: funeral home, memorial services
|Duggan's Mission Chapel|
525 W Napa St
Sonoma, CA 95476
Areas Served: Santa Rosa CA,Rohnert Park CA,Cotati CA,Sebastopol CA,Sonoma CA,Petaluma CA
Services: funeral home, funeral services, funeral directors, cremation care, funeral pre-needs
|Daniels Chapel of the Roses|
1225 Sonoma Ave
Santa Rosa, CA 95405
Areas Served: Santa Rosa CA,Sonoma CA,Healdsburg CA,Rohnert Park CA,Windsor CA,Petaluma CA
Services: funeral providers, cremation services, memorial services
|Redwood Memorial Gardens|
1700 Pleasant Hill Rd
Sebastopol, CA 95472
Areas Served: Sebastopol CA,Graton CA,Occidental CA,Rohnert Park CA,Santa Rosa CA,Monte Rio CA
Services: funeral services, memorial services,funeral planners,cremation services
But all funeral services, including those not looked at by the state, which bear The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 designation have passed all requirements for Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 status such as verified client satisfaction, hiring only documented workers, verification of required licenses, proof of liability insurance for your protection, clean complaint record, and more.
Funeral Homes in Sonoma County CA Perform a Variety of Services
There is so much to consider when choosing between funeral homes in Sonoma County CA including for funeral services, memorial services, interment, and cremation in Sonoma County CA Depending on how large or small of a service you are seeking, the choices and prices can vary widely. Planning a funeral or memorial service requires coordinating myriad services, filling out paperwork, contacting friends and family, scheduling, gathering of relevant and necessary documents and more, all while in the process of grieving.
To avoid having to make difficult decisions during a time of great stress and emotion, many are now pre-planning memorial services. Some funeral homes in Sonoma, Healdsburg, Sebastopol, Rohnert Park, Petaluma and Santa Rosa offer discounts or locked-in prices for making and paying for funeral arrangements ahead of time. Should you choose this, it's a good idea to review your decisions every few years and revise them accordingly.
Rules for Funerals in Sonoma County CA
While most funeral directors and/or funeral providers have the best interests of their clients in mind, some try to inflate prices or push unwanted services on their clients during their time of need. There is a federal law, known as the funeral rule, that helps prevent this. Among other things, the funeral rule states that:
• You have the right to choose the funeral goods and services you want (with some exceptions).
• Funeral providers in Sonoma County must state this in writing on the general price list.
• If state or local law requires you to buy any particular item, funeral homes must disclose this on the price list, with a reference to the specific law.
• Federal law requires funeral establishments to quote prices over the phone and to give you a General Price List (GPL) and a Casket Price List (CPL) when you ask in person about arrangements and prices.
• Funeral establishments are legally required to give you an itemized statement of your choices in funeral arrangement, including estimates for costs that are unknown at the time. The statement must also show charges for outside vendors arranged by the funeral provider such as music, flowers, newspaper notices, fees to clergy, etc
• Funeral providers may not refuse to handle a casket you built or bought elsewhere or charge fees to do so.
• The law does not require the purchase of a casket before cremation. Funeral providers that offer cremations must make a combustible cremation container available.
• Funeral providers may not provide embalming services without permission.
• Funeral providers may not falsely state that embalming is required by law.
• Funeral providers must disclose in writing that embalming is not required by law, except in certain, special cases.
• Funeral homes in Sonoma County may not charge a fee for unauthorized embalming unless embalming is required by state law.
• Funeral providers must disclose in writing that you usually have the right to choose a disposition, such as direct cremation or immediate burial, that does not require embalming if you do not want this service.
• Funeral homes in Sonoma County must disclose in writing that some funeral arrangements, such as a funeral with viewing, may make embalming a practical necessity and, if so, a required purchase.
• Funeral providers in Sonoma County must not tell you that state or local law requires a casket for direct cremations, because none do.
• Funeral homes must disclose in writing your right to buy an unfinished wood box or an alternative container for a direct cremation.
• Retail casket sellers are not allowed to arrange funerals or cremations or perform any other functions requiring a license as a funeral establishment.
• California law requires retail casket sellers, when beginning any discussion of prices, to give customers a written price list of all caskets, alternative containers, and outer burial containers normally offered for sale and the price for each. In addition, if customers ask for the list in person or by phone, the retail casket seller must give them a written statement identifying caskets or containers by price, thickness of metal, type of wood or other construction, and by interior and color.
Some Funeral Services in Sonoma County CA Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these funeral homes in Sonoma County: Pleasant Hills Memorial Park & Mortuary, Duggan's Mission Chapel, Santa Rosa Mortuary, Fred Young Funeral Home, Adobe Creek Funeral Home, Daniels Chapel of the Roses, Redwood Memorial Gardens, Redwood Coast Mortuary Service. Other funeral homes and funeral providers in Sonoma, Healdsburg, Sebastopol, Rohnert Park, Petaluma and Santa Rosa CA that might still be in business include: Parent-Sorensen Mortuary & Crematory, Neptune Society, Chapel of the Chimes-Cemetery Mausoleum Crematory, Memorial Park Santa Rosa, Lafferty & Smith Colonial Chapel, Windsor & Healdsburg Mortuary & Cremation Service. Didn't find what you wanted with the TOP 10 Funeral Homes and Funeral Services in Sonoma County? Then click here to see additional companies in this category.
Know What You're Looking for from Funeral Homes in Sonoma County CA
Hopefully, when you find yourself needing the services of a funeral home, you will have some idea of what you are looking for. Do you want the funeral home to handle paperwork and other arrangements? Do you want an expensive casket or something more budget conscious? Do you want burial or cremation services? Some funeral homes specialize in different aspects of funeral services. Some offer alternative choices such as scattering the cremation remains in unique places or ways. Some offer "green" funerals in which the remains are not embalmed and are buried in caskets that biodegrade quickly.
• How long have the funeral directors been in the funeral home / undertaking business?
• What are the funeral homes' fees, broken down by individual services?
• Can the funeral homes provide forms for a newspaper obituary?
• Can the funeral homes provide a viewing without embalming?
• Is there a way the funeral home can prove that previous family members have been satisfied with their funeral services? (All funeral homes and cremation services in Sonoma County [;stateabb] have already had client references verified for satisfaction by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do the funeral homes provide funeral services such as flowers, clergy, music, catering, etc.?
• What are your options at the funeral homes regarding cremation services, burial and final disposition?
• If the body is donated to science, will the funeral homes still provide funeral services?
• Who does the embalming at the mortuary?
• Will the funeral home show you proof of insurance which reimburses you in the event of any damages due to error? (All funeral homes and cremation services in Sonoma County [;stateabb] have already had their proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How long after death is embalming necessary and can the funeral homes guarantee they'll be available?
• Is an obituary in the newspaper required?
• What are your options regarding time of service at each of the funeral homes and mortuaries?
• Do the funeral directors have suggestions for personalizing the funeral services?
• Is there a way to substantially reduce the cost of the funeral services and if so, what would you be sacrificing as a result? Alternatively, is there an upgrade in the services possible for just a little bit more money?
• Can the funeral homes help with social security or veteran's death benefits?
• Will the funeral homes allow you to payments to pay for the funeral services?
Once you've chosen the best funeral providers in Sonoma County CA for your particular needs, make sure they are licensed by the state since that's required by law. (All funeral homes and cremation services in Sonoma County [;stateabb] have already had their state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Regulatory Bodies & Trade Associations For Funeral Homes in Sonoma County
BBB Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.com/)
California Department of Consumer Affairs (www.dca.ca.gov/)
Funeral Consumers Alliance (http://www.funerals.org/)
Cremation Association of North America (http://www.cremationassociation.org/)
International Cemetery and Funeral Association (http://www.icfa.org/)
National Funeral Directors Association (www.nfda.org/resources)
Diamond Certified www.diamondcertified.org
National Funeral Directors and Morticians Association (http://www.nfdma.com/)
Federal Trade Commission Facts for Consumers (www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/services/funeral.shtm)
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Funeral Homes in Sonoma County within the following zip codes:
95401, 95405, 95421, 94953, 95442, 95441, 94999, 95471, 94922, 94952, 94955, 95448, 95431, 95480, 95444, 95472, 95407, 94923, 95450, 95465, 94927, 95402, 95439, 95452, 94972, 95409, 95486, 95406, 95412, 94928, 95419, 95476, 95404, 94975, 94954, 95430, 95408, 95433, 95436, 95446, 95403, 94951, 95497, 95473, 95462, 95416, 95492, 94931, 95487 and 95425
Funerals Bodega Bay CA
A Beautiful Alternative Bodega Bay CA 94923
Funerals Cloverdale CA
Fred Young Funeral Home Cloverdale CA 95425
Funerals Petaluma CA
Adobe Creek Funeral Home Petaluma CA 94952
Parent-Sorensen Mortuary Petaluma CA 94952
Funerals Rohnert Park CA
Abby Mortuary Rohnert Park CA 94928
Funerals Santa Rosa CA
Daniels Chapel of the Roses Santa Rosa CA 95405
Lafferty & Smith Colonial Chapel Santa Rosa CA 95409
Neptune Society Santa Rosa CA 95407
Redwood Coast Mortuary Service Santa Rosa CA 95402
Santa Rosa Memorial Park Santa Rosa CA 95401
Funerals Sebastopol CA
Home Funeral Ministry Sebastopol CA 95472
Parent-Sorensen Mortuary Sebastopol CA 95472
Pleasant Hills Memorial Park & Mortuary Sebastopol CA 95473
Redwood Memorial Gardens Sebastopol CA 95472
Funerals Sonoma CA
Duggan's Mission Chapel Sonoma CA 95476
Funerals Windsor CA
Windsor Hills Mortuary Windsor CA 95492