How To Find the Best Awnings in Ventura County CA
Companies for awnings in Ventura County sell and install residential awnings, commercial awnings, awnings for restaurants including retractable awnings, and do awning repair of canvas awnings, aluminum awnings, and more. In California, the same license for awning contractors allows for the building of patio covers in Ventura County.
The following research by The Prime Buyer's Report lists the best companies for new awnings in Ventura County and issues related to hiring them.
Updated November 4, 2016
201 N Ventura St
Ojai, CA 93023
Areas Served: Simi Valley CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Oxnard CA, Ventura CA, Ventura County CA
|Martin Awning Co|
40 S Linden
Ventura, CA 93004
Areas Served: Simi Valley CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Oxnard CA, Ventura CA, Camarillo CA, Moorpark CA
237 Spring St
Ventura, CA 93001
Areas Served: Ventura County, Thousand Oaks CA, Oxnard CA, Ventura CA, Simi Valley CA, Ojai CA
|Ace Awning Inc|
11182 Azahar Street
Ventura, CA 93004
Areas Served: Oxnard CA, Ventura CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Camarillo CA, Simi Valley CA, Ojai CA
174 North Poli
Ojai, CA 93023
Areas Served: Thousand Oaks CA, Oxnard CA, Ventura CA, Simi Valley CA, Camarillo CA, Santa Paula CA
Awnings in Ventura County are available in different materials including canvas or acrylic fabric, and aluminum awnings. Metal support frames for fabric awnings can come in either steel or aluminum. Awning options include support poles that reach the ground, or without support poles (lateral arm awnings). Retractable awnings can be manual or motorized, including operation by remote control. Especially with commercial awnings for restaurants, some may be a standard awning that can be converted to a winterfront awning in cold or wet weather to surround an outdoor seating area. With fabric awnings there are many options among styles of valences.
Truly waterproof awnings are rare among fabric awnings, with most being merely water-repellant, but to such a good degree that they should perform well in a drizzle. Awning cleaning is a must for fabric awnings, yearly at least. If well maintained, the fabric may last a decade or more but the metal frame should last much longer, though it too should get periodic maintenance, tightening, etc.
Retractable awnings can be damaged by wind and should be retracted when not in use and in inclement weather, and ideally a motorized retractable awning should have a manual override allowing it to be cranked so that you can retract it despite the loss of electricity that can accompany stormy conditions. Retractable awnings also have the option of a protective hood to protect the retraction unit when that unit is mounted where it is not already sheltered by some kind of overhang.
Awning installers should drill the mounting holes into wall studs or headers, or tie into the rafters for roof-mounted awnings. Holes should be pre-drilled to prevent cracking, and caulked to prevent leaks. Awning installation requires a state licensed contractor, such as the specialty D03 license for awning contractors in Ventura County.
Types of Awnings:
Some awning installers make their own awnings with a high degree of custom work, where others may simply be installing some other company's manufactured product, so when choosing which awning contractor to hire, ask these questions about their experience, range of services, credentials, and methods and materials before deciding.
Questions To Ask Makers of Awnings in Ventura County:
• Are they awning makers, or awning installers, or both? If both, are they doing the installation themselves as licensed contractors or they are subcontracting it out to an awning contractor and if so, which one?
• Can the awning company give you client names and numbers you can call as references? (All awning companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report so you don't have to.)
• Do they offer a written guarantee on their labor and for how long? Is there a written warranty on the awning itself whether or not they are the awning manufacturer? In the case of motorized retractable awnings, what is the warranty period for the motor verus the one for the fabric? (There are often two different warranty periods).
• How many awnings do they do each year that are the same type as yours? There can be a difference in the experience required to between different types of awnings, such as standard awnings versus retractable awnings, motorized retractable awnings, aluminum awnings versus fabric, commercial versus residential, etc.
• Can they do computer design visuals of your specific property so you can see how different style options in new awnings would look before making a decision among all the options of awning type, size, material, color, etc.?
• After you explain what you want, is there a similar, but less expensive alternative to what you've asked for and what would you lose? Similarly, is there a big leap in quality or function that can be had for just a little bit more money?
• Will they give you a detailed bid in writing for the new awning including the exact materials used to make your awning (type and amount of canvas or aluminum, thickness of framework, etc ) construction method, fastening method, etc? This is important. A cheap awning company may only appear less expensive because they've left out important details from the bid, preventing you from seeing that you're getting much less than what another awning company has quoted.
Questions To Ask Installers of Awnings in Ventura County: • Do they offer ongoing awning maintenance or awning repair services after installation?
• What permits for the awning will be required for your area of Ventura County? Will they be pulling the necessary permits or do they expect you to do that? If they will, is that cost included in their price quote or is it extra and by how much?
• How many other awnings have they installed in Ventura County? How many in your town? This can be an indication of how familiar they are, or not, with state, county, or city ordinances regarding awnings.
• In preparation for a written bid for your evaluation, what process will they undertake to do a thorough survey of your property first?
• Can the awning contractor prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All awning companies in Ventura County bearing The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• How well does the awning company know the installation crew coming to your property? Are they using trained, long term employees, or do they use temporary labor on a project-by-project basis? Remember, the owner of the awning company may be a licensed awning contractor but his employees probably aren't and employee abilities and degree of professionalism can vary widely.
• Does the awning contractor have active workers' compensation and general liability insurance for your protection? (All awning contractors in Ventura County bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already shown proof of insurance to research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
Once you've got answers to these questions, you're ready to review their bid. Price should rarely be the determining factor since cheap awnings in Ventura County usually aren't the best awnings and it can cost you more to repair or replace than if you chose the best awning company to begin with.
When you've chosen the best awning company in Ventura County for your specific needs and priorities, make sure they are licensed in good standing with the State to do the installation. (All awning companies in Ventura County bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had their license verified by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
The following is a list of trade associations and publications relevant to awnings & canopies.
Regulatory Bodies & Trade Associations for Awning Contractors in Ventura County CA
CSLB Contractors State License Board
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs
PAMA (Professional Awning Manufacturers Association)
IFAI (Industrial Fabrics Association International)
WCPA (Western Canvas Products Association)
Publications Relevant to Awning Companies in Ventura County
Fabric Architecture Magazine
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Contractors for Awnings in Ventura County within the following zip codes:
91361, 93034, 93003, 93035, 91320, 93060, 93061, 93099, 93010, 93062, 93044, 93024, 93002, 93020, 93063, 93004, 93041, 93036, 93007, 93094, 93001, 93006, 93032, 91359, 93042, 93065, 93040, 93015, 93016, 93012, 93021, 91358, 93033, 93023, 91362, 93031, 93030, 93011, 93043, 93005, 91319, 91360, 93022, 93066, 93009 and 93064
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Awning Companies in Ventura County within the following cities:
Fillmore, Oak Park, Port Hueneme, Oxnard, Camarillo, Moorpark, Simi Valley, Westlake Village, Ventura, El Rio, Newbury Park, Channel Islands Beach, Casa Conejo, Thousand Oaks, Ojai and Santa Paula CA