How To Find the Best Financial Planners in Ventura County CAFinancial planners are hired to craft a detailed financial plan for you to reach long term financial and investment goals such retirement planning, estate planning, insurance, as well as cash flow management and risk management. Additionally, they provide on-going financial advice for decisions that will affect financial planning, such as whether to refinance or pay-off a loan, or whether to buy or lease.
The following research by The Prime Buyer's Report identifies the best financial planners in Ventura County and the issues related to hiring them.
Updated September 27, 2013
|Lamia Financial Group, LLC|
100 E Thousand Oaks Blvd, Ste 200
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Areas Served: Ventura County, Oxnard CA, Camarillo CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Ventura CA, Simi Valley CA
300 E Esplanade Dr, Ste 1800
Oxnard, CA 93036
Areas Served: Oxnard CA, Simi Valley CA, Ventura CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Camarillo CA, Ojai CA
|Westlake Financial Advisors LLC|
4510 E Thousand Oaks Blvd, Ste 200
Westlake Village, CA 91362
Areas Served: Westlake Village CA, Simi Valley CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Oxnard CA, Ventura CA
|Knightsgate Financial Advisors LLC|
4067 Weeping Willow Dr
Moorpark, CA 93021
Areas Served: Simi Valley CA, Oxnard CA, Ventura CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Santa Paula CA, Ojai CA
|Leon Rousso & Associates, Inc|
3585 Maple St, Ste 222
Ventura, CA 93003
Areas Served: Ventura CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Oxnard CA, Simi Valley CA, Ojai CA, Camarillo CA
|Lifetime Planning, Inc|
1200 Paseo Camarillo, Ste 190
Camarillo, CA 93010
Areas Served: Oxnard CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Simi Valley CA, Ventura CA, Camarillo CA, Moorpark CA
|Waddell & Reed|
299 W Hillcrest Dr, Ste 112
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Areas Served: Ventura CA, Oxnard CA, Camarillo CA, Simi Valley CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Moorpark CA
Financial planners assess your overall life circumstances and short term and long term financial goals to formulate a written financial plan to reach them, and then give ongoing advice on decisions that can affect them.
Financial planners are not legally required to carry professional liability insurance to protect you from financial loss in the event of a mistake, however all financial planners bearing The Prime Buyer's Report─TOP 10 designation have professional liability insurance coverage, in addition to passing all other requirements for certification as Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 such as phone calls with previous clients, verified state or SEC registration, clean complaint record, and more.
Many financial planners are also investment advisors. Investment advisors give advice about buying and trading securities such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds and often are the broker/dealers of those securities. Some of these investment advisers will manage for you your entire portfolio of securities. Not all investment advisors do financial planning however which is a more comprehensive management of all your financial goals and the items and decisions that affect them. Because financial planners are not necessarily selling or brokering financial products to you, they don't have to be registered with the state or federal government. Investment advisers, or financial planners that also perform as investment advisors do have to be registered. Those who manage more than $100 million in client assets must register with the SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission). Those who manage less must register with the state securities agency in their state.
Some financial planners and investment advisors are limited in their recommendations to a narrow range of investment products, including ones that aren't securities, meaning their advice may be influenced by commissions they're paid by the investment product company. So before you hire a financial planner or investment adviser ask them what limitations there are on their advice or products, what outside compensation they might be getting for brokering those financial products and how they are paid overall, including fees to you, and what their services include and don't include.
Financial planners and investment advisors are usually paid in one or more of the following ways:
• A fixed fee
• A commission on the securities they sell
• An hourly rate for the time they spend for you
• A percentage of the value of the assets they manage for you
Each of the above compensation methods have possible positives and negatives depending on your situation so ask the financial planner or investment advisor to explain the differences to you and to make a case for why their specific method of compensation is beneficial.
Some Financial Planners in Ventura County Are Much Better than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these investment advisors or financial planners in Ventura County CA: Lifetime Planning, Inc, Knightsgate Financial Advisors LLC, United Capital, Waddell & Reed, Lamia Financial Group, LLC, Leon Rousso & Associates, Inc, Westlake Financial Advisors LLC. Other financial planners in Oxnard, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks and Ventura CA that might still be in business include: .
When it comes to finding investment advisors or financial planners in Ventura County, as these questions about their abilities, background, experience and credentials:
• Do the financial planners have a minimum requirement for the net worth of clients they agree to take on, and if so what is it?
• Have they done financial planning for clients with situations similar to yours (such as individual vs business, single vs married, raising children, retirement focused, high net worth vs middle class, etc.), and if so, how many and with what outcome?
• Will they show you their ADV form which shows if they've had problems with regulators or clients? (All financial planners and investment advisors bearing The Prime Buyer's Report─TOP 10 symbol have already had their ADV form verified by our research staff as free of such problems.)
• Will they show you proof of professional liability insurance (such as E&O insurance) which protects you from financial loss in the event of their error? (All financial planners and investment advisors bearing The Prime Buyer's Report─TOP 10 symbol have already shown proof of liability insurance.)
• Will they provide you with client names and numbers you can call as references? (All financial planners and investment advisors bearing The Prime Buyer's Report─TOP 10 symbol have already had their client references called by our researchers so you don't have to.)
• How long have they been financial planners or investment advisers in Ventura County?
• What is their employment history prior to becoming a financial planner or investment adviser?
• How do they get paid, by whom, and how is it calculated?
• What do and don't their services include? (Many investment advisers do not do overall financial planning, and they might not manage your entire investment portfolio.)
• What method will they use to formulate an overall financial plan for you (if financial planners) or before they recommend specific investments (if investment advisors) and how much time will they spend with you doing so?
• Who at their firm will be your regular point of contact and what is their experience compared to the principal or partner?
• What credentials do they hold and what was required to earn them? Examples include CFP (Certified Financial Planner) and CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst).
When you've chosen the best financial planners in Ventura County for your specific needs, make sure they are registered by the SEC or the state if they broker financial products. (All financial planners and investment advisors bearing The Prime Buyer's Report─TOP 10 symbol have already had their registration verified by our researchers so you don't have to.)
The following is a list of trade associations and publications related to financial planning & investing.
Associations & Licensing for Investing & Financial Planning in Ventura County CA
CFA Institute (Chartered Financial Analyst)
CFP Board of Standards (Certified Financial Planners)
NAPFA (National Association of Personal Financial Advisor)
NAIFA (National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors)
AFCPE (Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education)
FPA (Financial Planning Association)
NAIPFA (National Association of Independent Public Finance Advisors)
AAAFA (Association of African American Financial Advisors)
IAA (Investment Adviser Association)
NAAIM (National Association of Active Investment Managers)
SROIIA (Self-Regulatory Organization for Independent Investment Advisers)
NOIP (National Organization of Investment Professionals)
NASD (National Association of Securities Dealers)
NASAA (North American Securities Administrators Association)
MFA (Managed Funds Association)
CFBTA (Commodity Floor Brokers and Trade Association)
ICAA (Investment Counsel Association of America)
STA (Security Traders Association)
AIMSE (Association of Investment Sales Executives)
Publications for Investment & Financial Planners in Ventura County
Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine
Business Finance Magazine
Pensions & Investments
Trusts and Estates
If you are looking for investment or financial planning services The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Financial Planners in Ventura County within the following zip codes:
93021, 93001, 93002, 93033, 93060, 93062, 93063, 93066, 91361, 93040, 93065, 93010, 91319, 91362, 93030, 93043, 93034, 93031, 93036, 93023, 93009, 93012, 93022, 93016, 93015, 93024, 93006, 93005, 93020, 93004, 91358, 93003, 91360, 93042, 93035, 91359, 93064, 91320, 93099, 93007, 93011, 93041, 93032, 93044, 93061 and 93094
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Financial Planners in Ventura County within the following cities:
Fillmore, Simi Valley, Channel Islands Beach, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard, Oak Park, Newbury Park, Ojai, Camarillo, Port Hueneme, Santa Paula, Westlake Village, Casa Conejo, Ventura, Moorpark and El Rio