How To Find the Best Excavation & Grading Contractors in Contra Costa County CA
Earthwork contractors in Contra Costa County do excavation, grading, digs trenches (trenching), dirt removal, and earth moving in a way that a cut, fill, excavation, grade, trench, backfill, or tunnel can be executed, including the use of explosives for these purposes. Excavators in Contra Costa County also provide topsoil and fill services, as well as landslide repair. Excavation is done on both residential and commercial sites to prepare them for construction, and can include removing, hauling, relocating dirt, gravel, and sand, or bringing them in. Excavation services are also done to prepare for foundations, basements, parking lots, driveways, roads, highways, and more.
The following research by The Prime Buyer's Report identifies the best earthwork contractors in Contra Costa County and issues related to hiring them.
Updated December 3, 2016
|Ted W Yeghoian Grading Inc|
964 Scots Lane
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Areas Served: Concord CA, San Ramon CA, Danville CA, Antioch CA, Walnut Creek CA, Oakley CA
Services: earthwork & excavation incl trenching, dirt haulers, grading
|Delta Excavating Inc|
PO Box 338
Knightsen, CA 94548
Areas Served: San Ramon CA, Walnut Creek CA, Danville CA, Richmond CA, Concord CA, Alamo CA
Services: earth moving contractors & dirt haulers for backhoe & tractor services
|Pacific West Excavation|
101 Monet Dr
Oakley, CA 94561
Areas Served: Richmond CA, Concord CA, Walnut Creek CA, Danville CA, San Ramon CA, Lafayette CA
Services: residential & commercial earthwork contractors,dirt movers,site preparation
|Jim Freethy Excavating Inc|
122 La Questa Dr
Danville, CA 94526
Areas Served: Concord CA, Walnut Creek CA, San Ramon CA, Pittsburg CA, Antioch CA, Richmond CA
Services: earthwork contractors,excavators & earth movers for excavation,trenching
|Finta Grading & Tractor Service|
PO Box 425
Byron, CA 94514
Areas Served: Concord CA, Richmond CA, Antioch CA, San Ramon CA, Walnut Creek CA, Pittsburg CA
Services: local excavators, trenching,bobcat services
The state of California requires earthmovers and trenchers in Contra Costa County to have a state license such as the C12 license for earthwork specifically. The former specialty licenses of: D19 license for Land Clearing, D56 for Trenching only, and a D43 license for Soil Grouting (including slurry trench cut-off walls and soil stabilization) are all now under this C-12 license category for earthwork contractors, or a contractor can do these activities with the broader "A" contractor license. Earthwork companies, especially those doing earthmoving or land clearing, will sometimes call themselves bobcat services, backhoe services, or tractor services due to those machines being used.
But the state license for earthwork is no guarantee that any particular earthmover in Contra Costa County CA is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all earthwork and excavation contractors in Contra Costa County CA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified state license, proof of liability and workers comp insurance for your protection, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Excavation vs Trench
Excavation is often defined as any man-made cavity, trench, cut, or depression formed by earth removal. This includes excavations for anything from cellars to highways, dirt removal to landslide repair.
A trench is formally defined as a narrow underground excavation that is deeper than it is wide, and no wider than 15 feet.
No matter how many shoring, trenching, and backfilling jobs an excavator or grading contractor in Contra Costa County has done in the past, they must approach each new job with complete preparation and care, and the success of excavation work is dependent upon thorough planning. When a trenching contractor waits until after the work has started to correct mistakes in shoring or sloping, it slows down the project, adds to the cost, and increases the chance of a cave-in or other excavation failure.
Before preparing a bid, excavation & earthwork contractors should be learning as much as possible about your property site and the materials needed to perform the work safely. Things they should be assessing on your job site prior to submitting a bid include utility lines both overhead and underground, weather, location of the water table, surface and ground water, soil conditions, traffic, and proximity of nearby structures. A trenching contractor who prepares a bid without this full assessment is more likely to charge you for cost overruns or miss your deadline.
To make that assessment, the trench contractor should be doing a jobsite study, observations, test borings for soil type or soil condition, and consultations with local officials and utility companies. Failure to do so means the excavator is unlikely to correctly determine the right cost and equipment necessary to do your project safely and on time.
Some Earthwork Contractors in Contra Costa County Are Much Better than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these contractors for earthwork in Contra Costa County CA: Ted W Yeghoian Grading Inc, Finta Grading & Tractor Service, Pacific West Excavation, Jim Freethy Excavating Inc, Delta Excavating Inc. Other earthwork contractors in Walnut Creek, Pittsburg, San Ramon and Richmond CA that might still be in business include: .
When it comes to earth moving, excavation or trenching by C12 licensed earthwork contractors in Contra Costa County CA, ask some questions about the abilities, experience, and credentials of the commercial trenching or residential excavators you're considering hiring.
• How long have the trench contractors been servicing Contra Costa County?
• How many other earthmoving or excavation projects have they done specifically in Contra Costa County, indicating how familiar or not they are with your local agencies, utilities, soil conditions, water table, and weather.
• Can the excavation companies give you names and numbers of previous customers who you can call as references? (All earth moving contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report so you don't have to.)
• Do the earth moving companies have experience in the same kind of project as yours, such as residential versus commercial earth moving or grading?
• How does the earthwork and grading company determine pricing?
• Can the graders and excavators vouch that all their employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? (All excavation companies bearing The Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Does the earth mover have active workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All earth moving companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already shown proof of insurance to research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
• In preparation for a written bid for your evaluation, what process will the excavator undertake to do a thorough assessment of the site, including soil conditions, local agencies, traffic, and more?
• Does the excavator provide written warranties for their labor beyond the 1 year warranty mandated by the state of California for C-12 licensed contractors?
• What happens if the excavator encounters toxic substances in the soil? Are they licensed and qualified to do remediation, or will you have to hire an outside company?
• How will the trenching company handle cost overruns due to inadequate planning? Do they guarantee to absorb any such costs or will they expect you to?
• Does the excavation company give any kind of guarantee of completion by your deadline date?
• How well do the excavators know their crews? Do they personally hire and train their crews, or do they bring them in from the outside on a project-by-project basis?
• How often and when do the excavators clean up your job site?
• If the excavation project is residential, will you have access to your home during the project?
When you've chosen the most suitable excavation company in Contra Costa County make sure they are still licensed in good standing with a C12 contractor's license to perform your earth moving. (All excavation companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already had their license verified by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
The following is a list of trade associations and publications relevant to earthwork contractors in Contra Costa County CA.
Associations & Licensing for Earthwork & Excavators in Contra Costa County CA
CSLB Contractors State License Board
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs
ARTBA (American Road & Transportation Builders Association)
LICA (Land Improvement Contractors of America)
APWA (American Public Works Association)
CUIRE (Center for Underground Infrastructure Research and Education)
Common Ground Alliance
ISP (Infrastructure Security Partnership)
NASTT (North American Society for Trenchless Technologies)
UULLA (Underground utility and Leak Locators Association)
Publications for Contra Costa County Excavation & Grading Contractors
Grading & Excavation Contractor Magazine
Better Roads Magazine
Compact Equipment Magazine
ENR California Magazine
Equipment World Magazine
RAI Magazine (Rebuilding Americas Infrastructure Magazine)
Site Prep Magazine
Tunnel Business Magazine
If you are looking for earthmoving, grading services or excavators The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Earthwork Contractors in Contra Costa County within the following zip codes:
94563, 94513, 94511, 94522, 94524, 94805, 94801, 94582, 94802, 94514, 94516, 94850, 94517, 94570, 94556, 94547, 94807, 94803, 94548, 94561, 94549, 94519, 94506, 94806, 94820, 94569, 94598, 94527, 94575, 94572, 94596, 94509, 94507, 94528, 94583, 94595, 94521, 94530, 94553, 94531, 94597, 94525, 94520, 94804, 94518, 94523, 94564, 94526, 94808 and 94565
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Earthwork Contractors in Contra Costa County within the following cities:
El Sobrante, Walnut Creek, Canyon, Vine Hill, El Cerrito, Pittsburg, Byron, Rheem Valley, Discovery Bay, Oakley, Briones, Danville, Tara Hills, Maltby, North Richmond, Richmond, Pacheco, Cowell, Diablo, Concord, Knightsen, Pleasant Hill, Port Costa, Blackhawk, Orinda, San Pablo, Lafayette, Rodeo, Alamo, Hercules, Moraga, Martinez, Crockett, Clayton, Los Medanos, Brentwood, Bethel Island, Antioch, West Pittsburg, N Richmond, Point Richmond, Pinole, Walnut Heights, Port Chicago, San Ramon, Bay Point, Hilltop Mall, Clyde and Kensington