The Best Roofers in Monterey County CA Are the Ones Verified as Safe To Hire
Roofing contractors in Monterey County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are ones who have exceeded the minimum California regulatory standard. They are the roofers proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for ability and value, have liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who use only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as roofers in Monterey County CA for new roofing, re-roofing, or roofing repair including shingle roofing, shake roofing, metal roofing, tile roofing and more.
Updated February 20, 2019
The Best Roofers in Monterey County CA Are the Ones Verified as Safe To Hire
The state of California requires roofing contractors in Monterey County CA to be licensed by the state, such as with the C39 license for roofing. The C14 license specifically for metal roofing contractors has been repealed and metal roofing is now done under the C39 roofing license which includes roofs using metal, asphaltum, pitch, tar, flet, glass fabric, flax, shakes, shingles, slate or any other roofing materials.
But the state license for roofers is no guarantee that any particular roofing contractor in Monterey County CA is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all roofing companies in Monterey County CA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as research phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, proof of liability insurance and workers comp insurance for your protection, good complaint record, verified state license, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Roofing Contractors in Monterey County CA Perform Numerous Services
Roofing contractors install new roofs, but their experience with certain tasks and materials can vary. for instance, pitched roofs require a greater level of skill to install or repair. Most roofing companies in Monterey County CA also perform regular roof maintenance or roof repairs, including foam recoats and shake roof conversions. Some roofing contractors in Monterey County CA do emergency roofing repairs in the event of a roof leak, often with 24 hour availability.
In addition to installation and roof repair for roof coatings and coverings, some roofers install downspouts and gutters (even seamless gutters). Some of the best roofing contractors in Monterey County use manufacturer certified technicians to install, repair or refurbish your roof, so you can expect a greater level of workmanship and better manufacturer warranties on their work.
In addition to new roofing, roofing companies can fix a leaky roof, replace roof shingles, or repair broken slate roofs.
The Best Roofing Contractors in Monterey County CA Offer Multiple Roofing Materials
There is such a wide variety of roofing materials and styles and each roofing material has its own benefits. Choices include shake roofs or imitation shake roofs, wood shingle roofs, cedar shingle roofs, clay tile roofs, slate roofs or even concrete tile roofs.
There are roofing companies in Monterey County CA who specialize in metal roofs. They can fix or recoat steel roofing, steel roof shingles, stone coated steel roofing, aluminum roofing, insulated aluminum roofing, corrugated metal roofing, copper roofing, or zinc roofing. Some local roofing contractors can rejuvenate an aging roof and take preventative measures to avoid future roof problems. They might use adhesive methods or modified bitumen to lay down new fire resistant roofing, or may apply elastomeric coatings or polyurethane foam for protection against the elements. In addition to basic roof coverings, some roofing contractors apply hot tar, tar and gravel, or install custom roof edging.
There are also some new products available for the eco-minded homeowner. Instead of wooden roof shingles, roofers might substitute composite roofing or energy efficient roofing. Some roofers in Monterey County CA even have access to ventilation products to insert into your preexisting roof.
There are three main roof types based on their slope or pitch: High Slope, Low Slope, and Flat.
High Slope Roof: Over five inches of vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
Low Slope Roof: Two inches to five inches of vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
Flat Roof: Less than two inches vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
The components of a roofing system are: Structural Support, Roof Sheathing, Underlayment, Flashing, and Roofing Material.
Structural Support: Rafters, trusses or joists that support the roofing system.
Roof Sheathing: What immediately covers the structural support. This is most commonly plywood or OSB (Oriented Strand Board).
Underlayment: A moisture barrier immediately on top of the roof sheathing. Sometimes called roof felt.
Flashing: Where the roof surface meets vertical surfaces (like a chimney) or at valleys created where adjoining roof sections of different angles meet, a metallic flashing is installed.
Roofing Material: The topmost layer of the roof which you can see, such as shingles, tile, etc.
Asphalt Shingles, or alternatively, Fiberlass Shingles
Rolled Roofing / Built Up Roofing: Used for flat roofs or very low slope roofs.
Foam Roofing / Polyurethane Roofing: Used for flat roofs as an alternative to Rolled Roofing or Built Up Roofing
Tar & Gravel
Reflective Lightweight Rocks
Clay Tile / Concrete Tile
Ice and Water Shields for Roofing
A roofing ice and water shield looks very similar to the traditional felt paper used to line roofs but is higher performance. Felt paper stops most leaks where water gets under the tiles or shingles but sometimes still lets leaks form by letting water through where one sheet of felt paper overlaps another or where nails have created holes in the felt paper.
The ice and water shield roofing material is made of a rubberized asphalt with a sticky backing that seals overlaps unlike felt paper, and forms a seal around nails when it is penetrated. Roofers in Monterey County CA can cover your entire roof with the ice and water shield, or apply it only where leaks frequently happen. The roofing contractors can also bend the ice and water shield to create a leak-proof barrier around anything that penetrates a roof, such as vents, chimneys, and skylights, then use standard roof flashings to cover the ice and water shield sub-flashing.
Some Roofers in Monterey County Are Safer To Spend With Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these roofing contractors in Monterey County CA: . Other roofing contractors in Monterey County CA who might still be in business include: Dority Roofing Pacific Grove CA.
Questions To Ask Roofing Companies in Monterey County CA
When choosing which roofer to hire, ask the right questions about their experience, range of services, credentials, and methods and materials.
• How long have they been in business as roofers in Monterey County? This indicates how well they know the local city ordinances, codes, and permit requirements for your area.
• How many roofs have they done specifically in Monterey County? This indicates how well they know the performance of different materials and installation methods in your particular climate, rainfall and wind patterns.
• How many roofs have they done of the same type as yours, i.e. same materials: clay tile versus asphalt shingle, same type: flat versus high slope, and same scope: repair only versus tear-off and reroof versus new roofing, etc.
• Can the roofing company give you customer names and numbers you can call as references? (All roofing contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• What is the projected time frame for completion of the new roof installation or roof repair?
• Does the roofing contractor have active workers' compensation and general liability insurance for your protection? (All roofers in Monterey County bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How will the roofing companies calculate pricing for new roofs or roof repairs?
• Will they provide a written estimate that specifices the exact amount of material to be used, including sizes, brand names, product numbers etc? (This is key because the cheapest roofing companies often only seem cheaper because they are quoting inferior materials or low quality brands compared to other roofers.)
• Will the roofing contractors provide a written contract?
• Will permits be needed? If so, will they be responsible for getting them or will that be up to you?
• Can the roofing contractor prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All roofing companies in Monterey County bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• How often and when do they clean up?
• What is the manufacturer's warranty on the roofing system or material the contractor is suggesting?
• What kind of warranties and guarantees on their labor do they offer besides the manufacturer warranty on the roofing materials, and can you see a copy?
• Do they offer multiple types of roofing materials and brands, or are they restricted to quoting one manufacturer?
• For new roofing or re-roofing, does their quote include replacing the flashings around chimneys and vents? Not doing so is one way that cheap roofing companies merely appear cheap.
• What type of wood will be used on your roof and in what thickness? For example, using cheap plywood made from pine which is suseptible to warping is another way cheap roofers merely appear cheaper, as opposed to using plywood made from stronger Douglas fir.
• Will they being using nails (proper) or instead using staples (cheaper and faster for them but lacks holding power and can invalidate a manufacturer's warranty)?
When you've chosen the best roofing contractor in Monterey County CA for your specific needs, make sure they have a license specifically as a roofing contractor from the state of California which is required by law. (All roofing companies in Monterey County CA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their California state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Good Roofing Contractors in Monterey County Use the Best Roofing Brands
Some of the brands local roofing contractors in Monterey County CA use include: Air Vent, Atlas Roofing Corp., GAF Materials, GenFlex Roofing Systems, Recon Building Products, Award Metals, CertainTeed Roofing, Dura-Loc Roofing Systems, DECRA Roofing Systems, Eagle Roofing Products, Firestone Building Products, Elk Building Products, Stone Metal Products, Energy Star Cool Roofing Systems, Hardishake, PABCO, Tamko Roofing Products, and Gardner-Gibson Materials.
Resources About Roofing Companies in Monterey County CA
Licensing & Trade Associations Relevant to Roofers in Monterey County CA
ARCNC Associated Roofing Contractors of Northern California www.arcnc.wordpress.com
ARCBAC Associated Roofing Contractors of The Bay Area Counties www.arcbac.org
IRCC Independent Roofing Contractors of California www.ircc.org
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
CSLB Contractors State License Board www.cslb.ca.gov
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs www.dca.ca.gov
NRCA National Roofing Contractors Association www.nrca.net
RCAC Roofing Contractors Association of California www.rcacal.com
RCASC Roofing Contractors Association of Southern California www.rcasocal.org
SRCA Slate Roofing Contractors Association www.slateroofers.org
TRI Tile Roofing Institute www.tileroofing.org
Union Roofing Contractors Association www.urca.org
WSRCA Western States Roofing Contractors Association www.wsrca.com
Media & Web Resources Related to Roofing in Monterey County CA
Professional Roofing Magazine
Roofing RSI Magazine
Roofing Contractor Magazine
Traditional Roofing Magazine
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Roofing Contractors in Monterey County CA within the following zip codes:
93902, 93921, 93932, 93960, 93901, 93920, 93930, 93955, 93915, 93927, 93953, 93912, 93926, 93950, 95076, 93908, 93925, 93944, 95039, 93907, 93924, 93942, 95012, 93906, 93923, 93940, 95004, 93905, 93922, 93933, 93962, 93450 and 93426
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Roofers in Monterey County CA within the following cities:
Aromas, Boronda, Carmel Valley Village, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Castroville, Chualar, Del Monte Forest, Del Rey Oaks, Elkhorn, Gonzales, Greenfield, King City, Las Lomas, Marina, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pajaro, Pine Canyon, Prunedale, Salinas, Seaside, Soledad, Spreckels, Big Sur, Carmel Valley, Toro Park and Carmel Highlands