How To Find the Best Companies for Home Theaters in San Mateo County CA
The best home theater contractors in San Mateo County have skills for the construction or remodeling, and in home theater electronics and lighting. They should also be able to perform as home theater designers, helping you choose the seating and other furniture, drapery, and gear best for your particular space and intended use. Many also provide home automation systems. The following research by The Prime Buyer's Report identifies the best home theater companies in San Mateo County and issues related to custom home theaters.
Updated February 20, 2019
How To Find the Best Companies for Home Theaters in San Mateo County CA
Home theater contractors in San Mateo County must be licensed by the state of California, and the most common license is the C-7 license for low voltage wiring. However, others may be doing custom home theaters with the specialty D48 license for theater equipment or a C10 electrical license.
Whichever license type they hold, local home theater installers should have expertise in both the construction aspect and the electrical and electronic aspects of home theater services to be good home theater installers.
If the in-home theater contractor service has employees, it is legally required to have workers' compensation insurance to protect you from being sued in the event an injury occurs during work performed at your property.
Home theater contractors are not required by law to have general liability insurance; however, all home theater companies bearing The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 designation have general liability insurance coverage to reimburse you in the event of any damages, in addition to passing all other requirements for certification as Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 such as our research phone calls to their previous clients, hiring only documented workers, verified license and workers' comp insurance, clean complaint record, and more.
Local home theater contractors in Redwood City and the rest of San Mateo County can install a home entertainment system during new construction or remodel your existing room into a home theater whether it is a standard-sized room or a larger space like a basement. A new home media system can even be as simple as setting up a portion of the living room and building or installing a home theater entertainment center rather than dedicating an entire room to a home theater.
The best home theater companies will also perform as home theater designers helping guide you through choices regarding raised seating, tiered flooring, home theater lighting systems, projector versus TV screen (or both), audio systems, seating and more. They can also source and buy the electronics for you. Home theater contractors should also demonstrate expertise in wiring and how to soundproof a home theater.
Because they should be experts in electronics and wiring, many home theater contractors in San Mateo County also provide home automation systems that include remotes and timers to provide automation and remote control of your home thermostat, lighting, security system, media, window blinds and more.
Some Contractors for Home Theaters in San Mateo County Are Much Better than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these contractors for home theaters in San Mateo County CA: Bruce Construction San Bruno CA, Sigura Construction, Inc Santa Clara CA. Other installers of home theaters in Redwood City CA that might still be in business include: Western Audio-Video La Honda CA, Hermary's, Inc. San Carlos CA, Coitcom Custom Audio Visual Solutions Redwood City CA, Beeswing Audio Video Redwood City CA, C&C Building Automation Company Inc South SF CA, Theater Works TV & Hi Fi San Carlos CA.
Questions to Ask Home Theater Contractors in Redwood City CA
When it comes to new home theaters in San Mateo County CA, including those in Redwood City and your area, ask these questions about the abilities, experience, and credentials of the local home theater contractors you're considering hiring:
• How many installations have the local home theater companies in San Mateo County done of your exact type? Setting up a home media system in corner of your living room can be very different from remodeling an entire basement into a custom home theater, which can be different still from designing home theaters for new construction. You want to find a local home theater contractor who can do the kind of work you want to have done and have experience doing it successfully.
• Does the home theater contractor do all work themselves or do they use subcontractors? (The use of subcontractors can create liability issues and accountability problems.)
• Can the San Mateo County home theater contractors give you names and numbers you can call as references? (All home theater installers bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have had customer references called by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
• How do the home theater and home automation contractors in Redwood City, CA and San Mateo County determine pricing?
• Does the local home theater company offer you the choice of different types and brands of home theater equipment and furnishings, or are you locked into one type or one manufacturer? Ask them what their estimate includes and, if possible, to include your specific choices of equipment, furnishings, and finish details in the complete bid.
• Is there a written guarantee on the home theater installation services apart from any manufacturer warranties?
• Can the local home theater contractors guarantee that all their employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? (All home theater installers bearing The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Do the home theater installers have active workers' compensation and general liability insurance? (All San Mateo County home theater contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already shown proof of insurance to research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
• How will the home automation services and home theater companies handle cost overruns due to mistakes in planning? Do they guarantee to absorb any such costs, or will they expect you to?
• How well do the San Mateo County home theater installation services know their crews? Do they personally hire and train their crews as permanent employees, or do they bring workers in from the outside on a project-by-project basis?
When you've chosen the best home theater contractor in San Mateo County for your specific needs, make sure they are still licensed in good standing as home theater installers. (All home theater companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had their licenses verified by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
Resources About Home Theaters in San Mateo County CA
The following is a list of trade associations and publications related to home theater contractors and home automation contractors in San Mateo County CA.
Regulatory Bodies & Trade Associations for Home Theater Contractors in San Mateo County CA:
CSLB Contractors State License Board
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs
CEDIA (Custom Electronic Design & Installation Association) www.cedia.net
HTSA (Home Theater Specialists of America) www.htsa.com
ALA (American Lighting Association) www.americanlightingassoc.com
CEA (Consumer Electronics Association) www.cta.tech.org
NECA (National Electrical Contractors Association) www.necanet.org
NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry) www.nari.org
Publications Regarding Home Theaters in San Mateo County
Sound and Vision Magazine www.soundandvisionmag.com
Electronic House www.electronichouse.com
Home Theater Magazine www.hometheater.com
Home Entertainment Magazine www.hemagazine.com
Home Electronic Ideas www.homeelectronicideas.com
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Home Theater Contractors in San Mateo County within the following zip codes:
94083, 94064, 94037, 94026, 94018, 94017, 94016, 94011, 94014, 94030, 94096, 94080, 94010, 94028, 94066, 94403, 94015, 94025, 94065, 94402, 94005, 94021, 94063, 94401, 94002, 94020, 94061, 94074, 94027, 94019, 94060, 94128, 94404, 94044, 94070, 94062, 94038 and 94098
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Home Theater Installation Companies in San Mateo County within the following cities:
Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Broadmoor Village, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, Emerald Hills, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, La Honda, Loma Mar, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Moss Beach, Pacifica, Palomar Park, Pescadero, Portola Valley, Princeton by the Sea, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Gregorio, San Mateo, Sharp Park, South SF, West Menlo Park, Woodside, El Granada and Montara