The Best Painting Companies in San Mateo County CA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Painting contractors in San Mateo County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol are the painters that have exceeded the minimum California state standard. They are the painting companies in San Mateo County proven by our independent research to have passed the Top Ten requirements for value and reliability, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who use only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as commercial painters or house painters in San Mateo County CA.
Updated August 16, 2019
San Mateo, CA 94403
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Redwood City, CA 94063
The Best Painting Companies in San Mateo County CA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of California requires that painting contractors in San Mateo County CA be licensed by the state with the C33 license specifically for painting, including interior painting, exterior painting, residential painters, and commercial painters in San Mateo County. The C-33 license for painting companies is a legal requirement for all projects over $500 including labor and materials. The painting contractors must be licensed to be able to submit bids.
But even the state license is no guarantee that any particular painting company in San Mateo County CA is doing business honestly, is delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all commercial painters and house painters in San Mateo County CA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as research phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, proof of liability insurance and workers comp insurance for your protection, good complaint record, verified state license, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Things To Look For with Painters in San Mateo County CA
Preparation Work Should Be Done By The Painter
Preparing the surface that's to be painted (prep work) is critical because a poorly prepared surface won't hold paint properly no matter how good the paint is or how well it's applied. The best painting companies in San Mateo County will do thorough prep work.
Preparing the surface can include pressure washing, possibly with a product that kills fungus and mildew, hand scraping surfaces, sanding, filling holes with caulk or epoxy filler, treating rusty nails, and removing wood rot. And prep work is labor time so the cheap painters in San Mateo County often promote cut-rate pricing because unknown to you, they're not preparing the surface like they should, and this can mean the paint begins to flake and chip within months, or comes off the next time your home or building is power washed.
Price quotes from painting companies in San Mateo County can differ and one reason might be the paint they're planning to use because paint costs can vary widely from $12 to $45 per gallon or more. And it's not just about the brand. Every brand, even the best ones, have starter grades that aren't meant to last as long. In fact, the starter grade of a high quality brand will not perform as well as a higher grade paint within a less expensive brand. These cheap paints can fade noticeably in as little as a few months.
The best painting companies in San Mateo County will specify in writing the
3) Product number
Getting that information allows you to see why price quotes might differ. Also, some painting contractors water down the paint in order to use less of it. It's another way that cheap painters in San Mateo County can appear like a bargain when they really aren't. So make sure the written bid includes the number of gallons to be used, and if it seems low compared to someone else, be sure to ask why.
The type of paint to be used also influences price quotes. Flat finish paints may be water based, where semi-gloss can be oil-based or latex-based paints. Oil-based is considered more durable so the job will last longer but latex will hold its sheen better. If you have a preference, make sure the painting company has experience with it, since some new painters have never worked with oil-based paints.
Many painting companies in Redwood City CA have experience working with organic paints, no-VOC and low-VOC paints (Volatile Organic Compounds). These options can cost a little more but some consumers prefer these paints as more environmentally friendly, or better for interior painting since they can have less of a smell with less off-gassing of chemical components. Other options include elastomeric paint, which boasts increased durability and flexibility, and water repellent finishes, which last longer in outdoor environments.
Many painting companies in San Mateo County use only brushes and rollers, insisting that this traditional method means a longer lasting paint job because the paint adheres to the surface more completely, and allows for better detail work. Other painting companies use airless sprayers, a modern method that can cut the time it takes to paint. Some painting contractors might use a combination, starting with airless sprayers and then going over it with brushes and rollers.
The best painters in San Mateo County will have seen different designs and color combinations over hundreds of previous painting jobs that they can share with you. They may also know what color combinations are among the latest trends in painting. Some painting companies in San Mateo County provide virtual computer color consultation so you can really see the potential result of your choices. These devices have virtually eliminated the guesswork involved in optimizing your new color scheme.
If you have custom colors done, ask the painting contractors to provide you with a custom color card with actual samples of the paint that was used as a record for the future, including what brand and the exact mix formula. Then if you need touch ups in the future, you'll know the exact match for your existing paint.
The owner of the painting company is a state-licensed painting contractor and may have years of industry experience, but what about the crew who will actually be doing the painting? The best painting companies use experienced, long-term employees and journeyman painters who know how to apply paint in a way that lasts for many years. Cheap painting companies often hire day laborers off the street with dubious levels of experience and whom the painting contractor doesn't even really know.
Faux Painting in San Mateo County (Including Faux Finishing / Decorative Painting in San Mateo County)
Faux painting or faux finishing are terms used for a wide variety of decorative painting techniques. Sometimes the intent is for the painted surface to look like some other material such as marble (faux marble) or wood grain (faux wood). Decorative painters in San Mateo County are also who to call if you're looking for muralists (mural painters). These faux painters in San Mateo County can paint scenic murals, or ones that create an optical illusion (trompe l'oeil) such as painting the illusion of three-dimensional depth on that flat wall or ceiling.
Some painting contractors do offer faux painting services or decorative painting services in addition to their house painting. A company that is decorative painting or faux finish painting only, need not be a licensed painting contractor. However, all decorative painters in San Mateo County CA recommended by The Prime Buyer's Report still needed to show our research staff proof of general liability insurance, and if they have employees, proof of worker's comp insurance as protection for you.
Faux painting is more than just faux finishes and decorative finishes. Decorative painters in San Mateo County can create texturing effects too. Sponge painting (or ‘sponging') is one commonly used method of adding texture to fresh paint.
The cost of faux finishing & decorative painters in San Mateo County varies greatly depending on the skill and experience of the faux painters, the type of faux finish desired and on the complexity of decorative painting effects. Many good decorative painters in San Mateo County will want to see the space to get decorative painting treatment, in order to give you a detailed estimate for the faux finishing or decorative painting you desire.
Some Painters in San Mateo County CA Are A Much Better Value Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these painters in San Mateo County CA: Palladino Painting, Inc. Half Moon Bay CA, Landucci Quality Painting San Mateo CA, Top Coat Painting, Inc. Redwood City CA, Pacific Coast Painting and Waterproofing Co., Inc. Burlingame CA, San Francisco Renaissance Painting San Francisco CA, Integrity Construction Maintenance, Inc Sebastopol CA. Other painting contractors in San Mateo County CA who might still be in business include: San Mateo Painting San Mateo CA, Larry Mohr Painting, Inc. Half Moon Bay CA, Stella Robert Painting Contractor San Mateo CA.
Questions To Ask Painters in San Mateo County CA
When it comes to interior and exterior painting by C33 licensed painting contractors in San Mateo County, ask some questions about the abilities, experience, and credentials of the commercial painters or residential painters you're considering spending with.
• How long have the painting contractors been house painters or commercial painters in San Mateo County?
• How many clients have the painting companies serviced in San Mateo County?
• Can the painting companies give you names and numbers you can call as references? (All painting contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
• Do the painting companies have experience in the same kind of project as yours, such as residential painting versus commercial painting in San Mateo County, or interior painters versus exterior painting?
• What are their hours of availability?
• How do the painting contractors determine pricing for residential painting or commercial painting jobs?
• Can the painters vouch that all their employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? (All painting companies bearing The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Do the commercial or residential painting contractors in San Mateo County have active workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All painting companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already shown proof of insurance to research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
• Will the painting contractors provide written estimates and if so, will it detail the exact brand of paint, grade of paint within that brand, number of gallons to be applied, and number of coats to be applied, allowing you to make accurate comparisons among bids? For the same purpose, will it specify how many hours of prep work will be done, what tasks are included in that prep work, i.e. sanding, filling small holes, removing rot, etc.?
• Does the painting contractor provide written warranties for their labor beyond the 1 year warranty mandated by the state of California for C-33 licensed contractors?
• If the existing paint contains lead as is typical with paint applied many years ago, is the painting contractor EPA Lead Safe Certified for safe removal of the old paint and will they be following the required protocols to ensure your safety and avoid causing you legal liabilities from improper removal of lead paint?
• Does the painting contractor perform all phases of the work or do they hire subcontractors to finish the job?
• How long should it take the painting crews to complete the work?
• Are there any measures you should take before the painters show up (moving furniture, covering valuables, patching nail holes, etc.), or will the painting contractors provide such services?
• Do the licensed owner personally hire and train their painting crew?
• How and when do the painting contractors clean up the job site?
• Will you have access to your home while the painters are working?
• Will they provide a written contract and will it detail the amount of paint to be used, the brand, the grade, the product number, the number of coats, and the number of hours to be spent preparing the surface?
When you've selected the most suitable house painting or commercial painting contractor in San Mateo County, make sure they are still licensed in good standing with a C33 contractors license to perform your painting services. (All painting companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had their license verified by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
Resources About Painting Companies in San Mateo County CA
Licensing & Trade Organizations Related to Painting in San Mateo County CA
BBB Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.com)
CSLB Contractors State Licensing Board (http://www.cslb.ca.gov/)
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs (www.dca.ca.gov)
Diamond Certified www.diamondcertified.org
FCA Finishing Contractors Association (www.finishingcontractors.org)
MPDA Master Painters and Decorators Association (www.mpda.net)
MPI Master Painters Institute (http://www.mpi.net/)
NAPP National Alliance of Professional Painters (www.thenapp.com)
NPCA National Paint and Coatings Association (www.paint.org)
PDCA Painting and Decorating Contractors of America (http://www.pdca.org/)
IDAL (International Decorative Artisans League) www.decorativeartisans.org
Media & Web Resources Relevant to Painting Companies in San Mateo County CA
The Faux Finisher Magazine
Painting and Wallcovering Magazine
Faux Effects World Magazine
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Painting Contractors in San Mateo County within the following zip codes:
94026, 94018, 94017, 94016, 94011, 94083, 94064, 94037, 94063, 94401, 94005, 94021, 94061, 94074, 94002, 94020, 94060, 94128, 94027, 94019, 94044, 94070, 94404, 94038, 94098, 94062, 94030, 94096, 94080, 94014, 94028, 94066, 94403, 94010, 94065, 94402, 94015 and 94025
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Painting Companies in San Mateo County within the following cities:
Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Broadmoor Village, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, Emerald Hills, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, La Honda, Loma Mar, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Moss Beach, Pacifica, Palomar Park, Pescadero, Portola Valley, Princeton by the Sea, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Gregorio, San Mateo, Sharp Park, South SF, West Menlo Park, Woodside, El Granada and Montara