The Best Roofers in Virginia Beach Area VA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Roofing contractors in Virginia Beach VA, Chesapeake VA, Norfolk VA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the residential or commercial roofers who have exceeded the minimum Virginia regulatory standard. They are the ones proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who have agreed to hire only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as roofers in Chesapeake VA, Norfolk VA and Virginia Beach for new roofing, re-roofing, or roofing repair including shingle roofing, shake roofing, metal roofing, tile roofing and more.
Updated November 04, 2016
The Best Roofers in Virginia Beach Area VA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Virginia requires roofing contractors in Virginia Beach CA, Norfolk VA, Chesapeake VA and Portsmouth VA to be licensed by the state with the correct license class for the cost of your project (Class C = less than $10,000, Class B = less than $120,000, Class A = no cost restriction), and the printed license for roofing companies must have at the bottom the three letter code for roofers, which is "ROC" for which they had to take an exam specific to roofing and demonstrate previous experience specifically in roofing.
But even the state license for roofing contractors is no guarantee that any particular roofer in the Virginia Beach area is doing business ethically, providing real value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all contractors for roofing in Virginia Beach VA, Chesapeake VA, Portsmouth VA and Nofolk VA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified state license, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
There are three main roof types based on their slope or pitch: High Slope, Low Slope, and Flat.
High Slope Roof: Over five inches of vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
Low Slope Roof: Two inches to five inches of vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
Flat Roof: Less than two inches vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
The components of a roofing system are: Structural Support, Roof Sheathing, Underlayment, Flashing, and Roofing Material.
Structural Support: Rafters, trusses or joists that support the roofing system.
Roof Sheathing: What immediately covers the structural support. This is most commonly plywood or OSB (Oriented Strand Board).
Underlayment: A moisture barrier immediately on top of the roof sheathing. Sometimes called roof felt.
Flashing: Where the roof surface meets vertical surfaces (like a chimney) or at valleys created where adjoining roof sections of different angles meet, a metallic flashing is installed.
Roofing Material: The topmost layer of the roof which you can see, such as shingles, tile, etc.
Asphalt Shingles, or alternatively, Fiberlass Shingles
Rolled Roofing / Built Up Roofing: Used for flat roofs or very low slope roofs.
Foam Roofing / Polyurethane Roofing: Used for flat roofs as an alternative to Rolled Roofing or Built Up Roofing
Tar & Gravel
Reflective Lightweight Rocks
Clay Tile / Concrete Tile
Ice and Water Shields for Roofing
A roofing ice and water shield looks very similar to the traditional felt paper used to line roofs but is higher performance. Felt paper stops most leaks where water gets under the tiles or shingles but sometimes still lets leaks form by letting water through where one sheet of felt paper overlaps another or where nails have created holes in the felt paper.
The ice and water shield roofing material is made of a rubberized asphalt with a sticky backing that seals overlaps unlike felt paper, and forms a seal around nails when it is penetrated. Roofers in Virginia Beach Area can cover your entire roof with the ice and water shield, or apply it only where leaks frequently happen. The roofing contractors can also bend the ice and water shield to create a leak-proof barrier around anything that penetrates a roof, such as vents, chimneys, and skylights, then use standard roof flashings to cover the ice and water shield sub-flashing.
Some Roofers in Virginia Beach Area VA Are Safer To Spend With Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these roofing contractors in Virginia Beach Area VA: Best Roofing of Tidewater Virginia Beach VA. Other roofing contractors in Virginia Beach Area VA who might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask Roofing Companies in the Virginia Beach VA Area
When choosing which roofer to hire, ask the right questions about their experience, range of services, credentials, and methods and materials.
• How long have they been in business as roofers in Virginia Beach Area? This indicates how well they know the local city ordinances, codes, and permit requirements for your area.
• How many roofs have they done specifically in Virginia Beach Area? This indicates how well they know the performance of different materials and installation methods in your particular climate, rainfall and wind patterns.
• How many roofs have they done of the same type as yours, i.e. same materials: clay tile versus asphalt shingle, same type: flat versus high slope, and same scope: repair only versus tear-off and reroof versus new roofing, etc.
• Can the roofing company give you client names and numbers you can call as references? (All roofing contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their client references called by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report so you don't have to.)
• What is the projected time frame for completion of the new roof installation or roof repair?
• Does the roofing contractor have active workers' compensation and general liability insurance for your protection? (All roofers in Virginia Beach Area bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How will the roofing companies calculate pricing for new roofs or roof repairs?
• Will they provide a written estimate that specifices the exact amount of material to be used, including sizes, brand names, product numbers etc? (This is key because the cheapest roofing companies often only seem cheaper because they are quoting inferior materials or low quality brands compared to other roofers.)
• Will the roofing contractors provide a written contract?
• Will permits be needed? If so, will they be responsible for getting them or will that be up to you?
• Can the roofing contractor prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All roofing companies in Virginia Beach Area bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• How often and when do they clean up?
• What is the manufacturer's warranty on the roofing system or material the contractor is suggesting?
• What kind of warranties and guarantees on their labor do they offer besides the manufacturer warranty on the roofing materials?
• Do they offer multiple types of roofing materials and brands, or are they restricted to quoting one manufacturer?
• For new roofing or re-roofing, does their quote include replacing the flashings around chimneys and vents? Not doing so is one way that cheap roofing companies merely appear cheap.
• What type of wood will be used on your roof and in what thickness? For example, using cheap plywood made from pine which is suseptible to warping is another way cheap roofers merely appear cheaper, as opposed to using plywood made from stronger Douglas fir.
• Will they being using nails (proper) or instead using staples (cheaper and faster for them but lacks holding power and can invalidate a manufacturer's warranty)?
When you've chosen the best roofing contractor in Virginia Beach Area VA for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed with a state or county license for roofing contractors. (All roofing companies in Virginia Beach Area VA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Good Roofing Companies in Virginia Beach Area VA Use Good Roofing Brands
Good roofers in Virginia Beach Area use the best roofing materials. Some companies purchase these materials at discounted rates and then pass the savings on to you. Other roofers are able to qualify you for a manufacturer's warranty on their labor by being pre-approved by some brand manufacturers. Some of the better roofing brands include: Energy Star Cool Roofing Systems, CertainTeed Roofing, Firestone Building Products, Atlas Roofing Corp., GenFlex Roofing Systems, Recon Building Products, Award Metals, Dura-Loc Roofing Systems, , Elk Building Products, Hardishake, PABCO, Tamko Roofing Products, Gardner-Gibson Materials, DECRA Roofing Systems, Stone Metal Products, GAF Materials, Eagle Roofing Products and Air Vent.
Resources About Roofing Contractors in Virginia Beach Area VA
Roofing Companies Chesapeake VA
Atlantic Craftsman Co Chesapeake VA 23320-2806
Bevins Roofing & Home Improvement Chesapeake VA 23320-3972
Brothers Roofers Chesapeake VA 23320-6414
C W Petty Contracting Chesapeake VA 23320-3728
Gibbs Roofing Chesapeake VA 23323-4705
Greenbrier Vinyl & Gutter Inc Chesapeake VA 23320-3628
Hutto Roofing Inc Chesapeake VA 23322-3027
K H Exterior Chesapeake VA 23322-7315
McDaniels Roofing Corp Chesapeake VA 23323-4764
Mid Atlantic Roof Service LLC Chesapeake VA 23327-1153
Miles Roofing Inc Chesapeake VA 23324-0008
Snider's Roofing & Repair Inc Chesapeake VA 23322-1458
Square Roofing Chesapeake VA 23325-3547
Still Well Roofing Chesapeake VA 23323-4222
Stublen Roofing Chesapeake VA 23321-1862
Taylor Roofing Systems Chesapeake VA 23324-1401
Tidewater Green Roofing Chesapeake VA 23323-6100
Vannier Roofing Chesapeake VA 23325-4019
Wright Roofing Inc Chesapeake VA 23320-3627
Roofing Companies Norfolk VA
A&S Contracting Roofers Norfolk VA 23509-1333
All American Roofers Norfolk VA 23508-2703
Bailey Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23517-1210
Baker Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23504-2335
Bayview Exteriors Roofing Norfolk VA 23505-0655
Block Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23502-3123
Burridge Contracting Roofing Norfolk VA 23513-2220
Century Roofing Norfolk VA 23509-2642
Dalton Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23509-2532
McDaries Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23504-4610
Reliable Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23503-5510
Roof Engineering Corp Norfolk VA 23502-3112
Roof Systems of Virginia Norfolk VA 23517-1297
Roofing World Norfolk VA 23505-0655
Shaddeau Roofing Norfolk VA 23517-1210
States Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23504-2696
Stevens Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23508-2698
Weatherford Roofing Company Norfolk VA 23513-4408
Roofing Companies Portsmouth VA
Andrews Roofing Company Portsmouth VA 23707-2020
Ducks Roofing Company Portsmouth VA 23702-1732
Heymer Roofing Portsmouth VA 23702-1608
P&M Roofing Company Portsmouth VA 23701-2057
WL Pope Contractors Roofers Portsmouth VA 23707-2115
Roofing Companies Virginia Beach VA
Aapex Roofing Company Virginia Beach VA 23452-1157
Advanced Roofing Systems of VA Virginia Beach VA 23464-3808
Alan Fibish Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23456-8058
All Area Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23453-3125
Another Beautiful Job Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23455-6428
Aquashield Roofing Company Virginia Beach VA 23453-1934
Atlantic Building Company Virginia Beach VA 23453-3111
A-Z Creative Contractors Virginia Beach VA 23464-6217
Bayshore Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23452-5608
Beck Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23462-6516
Best Roofing of Tidewater Virginia Beach VA 23451-0451
Burton Enterprises Virginia Beach VA 23466-6205
Cameron Bradford Roofing Contractor Virginia Beach VA 23452-6601
Christopher Foy Roofing Contractor Virginia Beach VA 23452-7816
East Coast Cedar Co Virginia Beach VA 23453-3133
Garcia Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23452-1049
Good Works Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23452-6318
Harrison Roofing & Son Virginia Beach VA 23464-1706
HD Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23454-5828
John Kurtz Construction Roofers Virginia Beach VA 23454-5237
Kempsville Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23452-7615
Levin Contracting Roofers Virginia Beach VA 23453-2975
Omega Contracting Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23455-4019
Quality Built Exteriors Virginia Beach VA 23464-8869
Roof Services Corp Virginia Beach VA 23453-2610
Shencorp Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23462-6545
Superior Roofing Systems Virginia Beach VA 23462-6526
United Roofing Corp Virginia Beach VA 23456-4819
Virginia Beach Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23454-5200
Waymar Inc Virginia Beach VA 23454-5574
West Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23455-2828
Wood Roofing Virginia Beach VA 23455-4802