The Best Remodelers in Austin TX Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Remodeling contractors in Austin TX bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the commercial or home remodelers proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for ability and value, have liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who use only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as commercial or home remodelers in Austin TX, including home improvement companies and home repair services.
Updated February 27, 2020
The Best Remodelers in Austin TX Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Texas does not require any state license of commercial remodelers or home remodeling contractors in Austin TX so there is no state standard of competency among commercial remodeling contractors or home improvement companies, (with the exception of Registered Accessibility Specialists who remodel for disability access and compliance with the ADA which does require a state license.). Similarly, there is no requirement that they first show the state proof of liability and workers comp insurance, and both are critical to you. If the remodeling company doesn't have it and accidental damage occurs to your property, or an employee of theirs is hurt on your property, you can be on the hook for the cost.
So there's no guarantee that any particular commercial or home remodeler in Austin TX is even competent, is doing business honestly, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all commercial or home remodelers in Austin TX who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, proof of liability and workers comp insurance for your protection, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Signs of the Best Remodelers in Austin TX:
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE WITH REMODELS
A remodeling project, whether home improvement or commercial remodeling, is often more complex than building from scratch. First, the remodeling contractor has to work within the limitations or peculiarities of the existing structure. Second, it's common for surprises to come up during the remodel, because some things can't be known until walls or ceilings are opened, floors taken up, etc. exposing hidden factors. The best remodeling contractors in Austin TX are those with the experience to forsee these possibilities and the honesty to explain them to you at the outset, particularly, how it can affect the final cost of the remodel.
Respect and consideration for the customer are also hallmarks of good remodeling contractors since remodels often require work done while the customer is working or living in the space. For this reason, communicating their expected work schedule to you all along the way, keeping to it, or giving you notice on occasions where they can't, are all characteristics of the best remodeling contractors. Some remodelers in Austin will even bring portable toilets for the use of the crew to avoid their use of your washroom (or your bushes). A customer living on site during a home remodeling project should expect some inconvenience during the project, but again, respectful remodeling contractors will keep the potential inconvenience to the minimum possible.
Attention to keeping the work site as neat as possible throughout, and cleaning thoroughly at the end of each day, like vacuuming dust and putting materials away, are behaviors that set some remodeling contractors far above the rest and result in much higher customer satisfaction with the finished project.
Home remodelers should know their crew well and be able to vouch for them as trustworthy especially when that crew has access to your home or family.
Of course attention to detail is important for quality work, but detail is critical right from the beginning with the cost proposal they prepare for you. Such a bid should detail the exact brands, fixtures, types of materials and amounts of each. If not, the bid might be quoting only the cheapest options so that later when you find out once the project is underway and you request better substitutions, the cost goes up. So good remodelers will go over those options with you before submitting a written proposal, and include your specific choices, and their costs, in the written bid.
Home Remodelers in Austin TX Add Value
Remodeling contractors in Austin TX perform many aspects of home repair or specialized home remodeling. A straightforward way to add value to your home is to remodel areas where dated technology and style are most glaring.
Not only are home improvement companies in Austin TX able to make an existing space appear larger, they can also create space by shifting square footage to one room from another or by doing a home addition. Finishing a basement is a great way to get extra living space without a home addition, or perhaps a wine cellar.
Other home remodeling contractors specialize in just certain aspects of home improvement like carports and patio covers, sunrooms and screen rooms in Austin. But even contractors building patio covers or sun rooms in Austin must be state-registered contractors.
Whether it's a big family room with a new fireplace or a new guest room, office, granny unit, garage, sunroom, patio cover, patio enclosure, screen room, carport, wine cellar, second story addition, or even a complete reconstruction of an older house, use the above list of home remodeling companies in Austin proven through independent research as safer, more reliable, and who provide more value.
Added Value From Basement Finishing by Basement Remodelers in Austin TX
Many homeowners have gotten additional value and a higher quality of life from their home with basement finishing in Austin TX done by experienced basement remodeling contractors. It's an immediate increase in living space often for less cost than a home addition. But the basement remodelers in Austin TX must be experienced with the specifics to basement finishing, such as moisture control, checking floor joists, proper and safe ventilation, and what it will take to get a basement remodeling project to conform to local building codes for a space that is often starts as non-conforming. The best basement remodeling contractors in Austin TX will be able to show you previous finished basement remodeling projects.
Increased Popularity of Patio Enclosures, Sunrooms & Patio Covers in Austin TX
Changes to more comfortably enjoy your outdoor space or to bring facets of the outdoors to an inside space are increasing in popularity. Patio cover companies and sunroom contractors in Austin are frequent choice.
A sunroom, sun lounge, sun porch or sun parlor is a portion of the home providing enjoyment of the sun and the view while avoiding adverse weather such as wind and rain. They also go by the terms patio room, solarium, conservatory, patio enclosure or Florida room. Some are designed with the view as the priority, others are intended to collect sunlight for light and warmth.
Patio enclosures and patio covers are another option. Patio cover companies build a roof with supports to cover a patio. Patio covers provide protection from rain and shade. If such an area is also surrounded by screens, it may be referred to as a screen room.
Some Home Remodeling Contractors in Austin TX Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these remodeling contractors in Austin: .
Other home remodeling contractors in Austin TX that might still be in business include: .
Questions to Ask Remodeling Contractors in Austin TX
When hiring commercial or home remodelers in Austin TX, ask these questions about their experience, abilities, and process before hiring:
• How long have they been doing business specifically as remodeling contractors in Austin?
• Can they show you examples of remodels they've done similar to what you're seeking?
• Can the remodeling company give you names and numbers of previous clients you can call as references? (All remodeling contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customers references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do they have experience with the exact kind of remodel work you want? The expertise needed to build a screen enclosed patio or sunroom is different than that needed for a home addition, or a finished basement.
• Will they give a written estimate with complete detail of the exact items, fixtures, and brands including project numbers, types of materials and exact amount to be used? (This is key because cheap remodeling companies often only seem so because they intentionally bid only the lowest cost options, knowing you will probably want upgrades once you see them, causing an increase in actual cost over the one in their estimate.)
• Can they see any aspects that are unknown until the work is ongoing, such as what's behind walls or under floors, that could affect the total cost of the project, and by how much specifically in each instance? (Some remodelers only seem cheap because they don't tell you about these possible cost increases, either because they lack the experience to anticipate them, or intentionally to appear as the low bidder).
• Is the person who is doing the estimate (and making you promises) the same person who will be doing the remodeling or leading the project? Or instead, will you be handed off to a different person in the company and if so, who?
• Will the remodeler give you a written contract to sign?
• How soon after the contract is signed will they start?
• What is the project time frame from contract signing to completion?
• Once the remodeling starts, will they be there every day until finished, or will they be leaving for days at a time to do work on other projects? If so, will this change the estimated finish date?
• Can they demonstrate to you that all their employees are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All remodelers in Austin bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Do they provide any written guarantees on their labor besides manufacturers warranties, and if so, for how what time period and what does it include?
• Are permits needed for the remodeling by Austin or by your city? If so, who will be responsible for getting the permits, you or the remodeler?
• Do they use only actual employees or do they hire subcontractors? If so, what are the names of those companies so you can research those?
• If they use subcontractors, will you pay those subcontractors or will the remodeling company? If the remodeling company, what assurance do you have that those subcontractors will be paid on time and not file a lien on your property?
• If you will be using the space while it is being remodeled, such as living in your house during a home remodel, how often and when do they clean up during the project?
• What equipment or procedures do they use to keep the remodeling as clean as possible while you're using the space, for example dust barriers, air filters, etc?
• How often will they communicate to you their expected schedule and by what method?
• Can they show you proof of liability insurance and workers' compensation? (All remodelers in Austin bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About Remodeling Contractors Austin TX
Licensing & Trade Associations Related to Remodelers in Austin TX
ABC Associated Builders and Contractors (http://www.abc.org/)
ASA American Subcontractors Association (http://www.assaonline.com/)
BBB Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.com)
NARI National Association of the Remodeling Industry (http://www.nari.org/)
Media & Web Resources for Remodelers in Austin TX
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
New Old House
Old House Journal
This Old House
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Remodeling Contractors in Austin TX within the following zip codes:
78713, 78747, 78654, 78732, 78766, 78719, 78753, 78703, 78738, 78725, 78759, 78712, 78746, 78653, 78731, 78765, 78718, 78752, 78702, 78737, 78724, 78758, 78711, 78745, 78652, 78730, 78764, 78717, 78751, 78701, 78736, 78723, 78757, 78709, 78744, 78645, 78729, 78763, 78716, 78750, 78691, 78735, 78722, 78756, 78708, 78742, 78641, 78728, 78762, 78715, 78749, 78669, 78734, 78768, 78721, 78755, 78705, 78741, 78621, 78727, 78761, 78714, 78748, 78660, 78733, 78767, 78720, 78754, 78704, 78739, 78617, 78726, 78760 and 78610
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Remodelers in Austin TX within the following cities:
Austin, Barton Creek, Bee Cave, Briarcliff, Elgin, Garfield, Hornsby Bend, Hudson Bend, Jonestown, Lago Vista, Lakeway, Lost Creek, Manchaca, Manor, Pflugerville, Point Venture, Rollingwood, Shady Hollow, Sunset Valley, Hills, Wells Branch, West Lake Hills, Windemere, Anderson Mill, Onion Creek, Del Valle and McNeil