The Best Construction Companies in Brooklyn NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
General contractors in Brooklyn bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the construction companies that have met a higher standard than the New York City minimum standard.
They are those proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency, reliability, and value, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who have agreed to hire only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as residential or commercial builders in Brooklyn, including new custom home builders, retail construction, restaurant builders, and other commercial construction.
Updated September 19, 2019
Brooklyn, NY 11204
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Brooklyn, NY 11220
Brooklyn, NY 11228
Brooklyn, NY 11228
Brooklyn, NY 11231
The Best Construction Companies in Brooklyn NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
New York state does not require any state license of general contractors in Brooklyn so there is no state standard for competency. New York City requires general contractors, including new home builders in Brooklyn to have a city license, but for which no test or exam of skill or ability is required.
So obviously the NYC general contractors license is no guarantee that any particular construction company in Brooklyn is competent, is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all residential or commercial construction companies in Brooklyn that bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified NYC general contractors license, proof of liability insurance for your protection, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Not all general contractors in Brooklyn NY can be equally experienced in every specialized area of construction. So find general contractors in Brooklyn based on the specific type of work you need done.
The experience and skill set needed between general contractors as custom home builders in Brooklyn including design/build contractors is very different from commercial contractors to do new retail construction, restaurant construction, high-rise builders, or other large commercial building projects which require managing more personnel and having greater financial resources, as well as better understanding the particulars as commercial builders in Brooklyn and New York City.
Some General Contractors in Brooklyn NY Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these general building contractors in Brooklyn NY: TR General Contractors LLC Brooklyn NY, Riggs Construction Company Inc Brooklyn NY, Turner Construction Company Brooklyn NY, Daffodil General Contractors Brooklyn NY, Nativo General Contractors Inc Brooklyn NY, CAP General Contractors Inc Brooklyn NY, Losardo General Contractors Inc Brooklyn NY, HL General Contractors Inc Brooklyn NY, Four Star Construction & General Contractors LLC Woodcliff Lake NJ, Abbey's Kitchens Baths & Interiors LLC Short Hills NJ. Other construction firms, home builders and general contractors in Brooklyn NY that might still be in business include: RM General Contractors Corp Brooklyn NY.
Questions To Ask General Contractors in Brooklyn
Ask these questions of general contractors, including custom home builders and commercial general contractors in Brooklyn and New York City, regarding their methods, pricing, experience and qualifications:
Step 1: Describe The Construction Work to the General Contractors in Brooklyn
When you talk with general contractors in Brooklyn, explain what type of construction you need. Be consistent so each of the construction companies can submit an estimate based on the same information.
Step 2: Ask Questions and Take Notes
Before you create a list of possible general contractors for your construction project, ask them some important questions about their technical abilities, experience, and the specifics of your construction project. When the general contractors ask you questions, take notes on their concerns. They may reveal some aspects of the construction that are new to you.
Ask the general contractors the following questions about their experience, abilities, and methods:
• How long have they been builders in Brooklyn specifically?
• How many other projects have they done that are like yours? (Custom home building versus commercial building, new retail construction, high-rise builders, etc.)
• In the case of new retail construction, such as new store builders, restaurant builders, or even multi-unit residential contractors including high-rise construction companies, how many other projects have they done in any of the boroughs of New York City that are the same scope, size, and complexity? What was the outcome of each, and how did the final cost compare to the original budget, and how did the actual completion date compare to the original due date?
• Will the general contractor give you names and numbers of customers that you can call as references? (All general contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had customers references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How long will it take them to prepare a written bid once they conduct the estimate?
• Will they show you proof of workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All general contractors in Brooklyn NY bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will the general contractor prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All builders in Brooklyn NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire legally documented workers.)
• How do they determine pricing? For example is it T&M (time and materials) or a flat price and how are cost overruns handled?
• Will they give you a written contract that details the exact brands of products, model numbers, materials and amounts to be used? Neglecting to show those in writing is a way that seemingly cheap contractors unrealistically underbid others to get your project. Either you're getting poor materials that look bad or will fail. or you request better materials once the job is underway and the cost goes up accordingly.
• What type of written guarantee does each of the construction companies provide and what are the terms?
• Will construction permits be needed? If so, will the general contractors be responsible for getting those or do they leave that to you? Failure to get permits is another way cheap contractors in Brooklyn are able to underbid legitimate ones. Unfortunately unpermitted work can stop you from selling the property and even make you liable you to big fines and repair costs to get it to code.
• Will they be bringing in subcontractors for your project and if so, what are those company names?
• How often and when will they clean up the work site? What does the final post-project clean up include?
When you've chosen the best contractors in Brooklyn NY for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed by New York City as required by law. (All general contractors in Brooklyn NY bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their NYC license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Tips About General Contractors and Construction Companies in Brooklyn
Have A Plan For Evaluating the Builders
There are good commercial builders or home builders in Brooklyn NY. Feel free to have more than one conversation before moving forward and prepare what you want to cover before hand each time. You'll be happier with the end result when you make the time to properly outline your job and carefully match a builder to your needs.
Write a Description of the Job for the General Contracting Firms in NYC
This is an obvious necessity with large commercial construction projects, but even with more modest or preliminary new retail construction or new home builders, at least write up a paragraph or two about the project specifics before contacting construction companies in Brooklyn.
Since each general contractor will see the same written specifics, you'll be sure that you are comparing responses on an equal basis. Then you can better judge which construction company gave you the best answers to your consistent description.
Don't Decide Based on Price Alone
It's okay to get a few separate estimates for comparison. But remember, price should not be your only determining factor. The cheap contractors in Brooklyn NY are usually not the best ones, and a cheap bid often turns out to be the most expensive in the long run due to cost overruns, or poor work that has to be fixed or redone by someone else.
Get it in Writing
Ask builders to give you everything in writing to prevent conflicts later. Ask the general contractors to provide you with a written description of the construction work, pricing and a time frame for completion.
Maintain Great Communication During Construction.
Communication is an often overlooked skill with general contractors. But to maintain a successful working relationship, both parties must make keep one another informed.
If you have doubt about how the project is going, don't jump to conclusions. Instead, call and ask the builder about your concerns. There may be a reasonable explanation for changes or delays.
Commitment In Advance to Do a Walk-Through Upon Completion
After the project is finished, return to the agreement you signed and walk through the site with the most senior staff member available at the construction company to compare the results to the particulars in the contract. Bring up any items that differ from what was agreed to.
Resources About General Contractors in Brooklyn
The following is a list of trade associations, and regulatory agencies, and publications relevant to construction companies and general contractors in Brooklyn:
Associations & Licensing for General Contractors in Brooklyn NY
ABC Associated Builders and Contractors www.abc.org
ABCNY Associated Builders and Contractors of NY www.abcnys.org
ABOGNY Associated Builders and Owners of Greater New York www.abogny.com
AGC Associated General Contractors www.agc.org
AGCNYS Associated General Contractors of New York State www.agcnys.org
ASA American Subcontractors Association www.assaonline.com
Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York www.nycbuildingtrades.org
BCA NY Building Contractors Association New York City www.ny-bca.com/home
BPCA/NYS Building Performance Contractors Association of New York State www.home-performance.org
BRANNY Builders Association of Northern New York www.branny.org
BSCAI Building Service Contractors Association International www.bscai.org
BTEA Building Trades Employers' Association of New York City www.bteany.com
CAGNY Contractors' Association of Greater New York www.cagnyonline.com
ECA Eastern Contractors Association www.ecainc.org
ECA Environmental Contractors Association of New York City www.ecanyc.org
GCANY General Contractors Association of New York www.gcany,com
NAHB National Association of Home Builders www.nahb.org
NYSBA New York State Builders Association www.nysba.com
Retail Contractors Association www.retailcontractors.org
General Building Contractors Media &Web Resources
Building Design and Construction
Environmental Design and Construction Magazine
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
New Old House
Old House Journal
This Old House
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 General Contractors in Brooklyn NY within the following zip codes:
11203, 11211, 11219, 11228, 11236, 11201, 11210, 11218, 11226, 11235, 11249, 11209, 11217, 11225, 11234, 11245, 11208, 11216, 11224, 11233, 11242, 11207, 11215, 11223, 11232, 11241, 11206, 11214, 11222, 11231, 11239, 11205, 11213, 11221, 11230, 11238, 11204, 11212, 11220, 11229 and 11237
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Construction Companies in Brooklyn NY within the following cities or neighborhoods:
Williamsburg, Bushwick, Clinton Hill, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, Park Slope, Brownsville, East Flatbush, Flatlands, Canarsie, Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Coney Island, Dyker Heights, Gravesend, Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Borough Park, Midwood, Bensonhurst, Homecrest, Flatbush, Kensington, Greenpoint, Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill, BoCoCa, Farragut, Little Odessa, City Line, Ocean Hill, New Lots, Prospect Leffert Gardens, South Slope, Fort Greene, North Williamsburg, Georgetown, Paedergat Basin, Wingate, Weeksville, Remsen Village, East Williamsburg, Ocean Parkway, Highland Park, Stuyvesant Heights and Prospect Park