The Best Construction Companies in Vancouver WA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
General contractors in Vancouver WA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the construction companies that have met a higher standard than the minimum Washington regulatory standard.
They are proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, carry liability insurance for your protection, who use only employees verified legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as residential or commercial builders in Vancouver WA, including new custom home builders.
Updated February 13, 2019
The Best Construction Companies in Vancouver WA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Washington requires general contractors in Vancouver WA to be licensed by the state with a residential endorsement in order to residential construction, a commercial endorsement in one of two categories of either small commercial structure of less than 10,000 square feet and lower than 20 feet, or large commercial structures.
The licensing requires that one person at the company have taken 16 hours of training in business practices and passed a test.
But the state license for residential or commercial general contractors is no guarantee that any particular general contractor in Vancouver WA is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all general contractors in Vancouver WA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified state license, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Not all general contractors in Vancouver WA can be equally experienced in every specialized area of construction. So find general contractors in Vancouver WA based on the specific type of work you need done.
Some general contractors specialize as custom home builders in Vancouver WA, as design/build contractors, as commercial contractors or as municipal construction companies. Regardless of the particular construction services you need, there are general contractors in Vancouver WA who can perform the kind of construction you want done.
Some General Contractors in Vancouver WA Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these general building contractors in Vancouver WA: . Other construction firms, home builders and general contractors in Vancouver WA that might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask General Contractors in Vancouver WA
Step 1: Describe The Construction Work to the General Contractors in Vancouver WA
When you talk with general contractors in Vancouver, explain what type of construction you need. Be consistent so each of the construction companies can submit an estimate based on the same information.
Step 2: Ask Questions and Take Notes
Before you create a list of possible general contractors for your construction project, ask them some important questions about their technical abilities, experience, and the specifics of your construction project. When the general contractors ask you questions, take notes on their concerns. They may reveal some aspects of the construction that are new to you.
Ask the general contractors the following questions about their experience, abilities, and methods:
• How long have they been builders in Vancouver WA specifically?
• How many other projects have they done that are like yours? (Custom home building versus commercial building, etc.)
• Will the general contractor give you names and numbers of customers that you can call as references? (All general contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had customers references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How long will it take them to prepare a written bid once they conduct the estimate?
• Will they show you proof of workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All general contractors in Vancouver WA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will the general contractor prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All builders in Vancouver WA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire legally documented workers.)
• How do they determine pricing? For example is it T&M (time and materials) or a flat price and how are cost overruns handled?
• Will they give you a written contract that details the exact brands of products, model numbers, materials and amounts to be used? Neglecting to show those in writing is a way that seemingly cheap contractors unrealistically underbid others to get your project. Either you're getting poor materials that look bad or will fail. or you request better materials once the job is underway and the cost goes up accordingly.
• What type of written guarantee does each of the construction companies provide and what are the terms?
• Will construction permits be needed? If so, will the general contractors be responsible for getting those or do they leave that to you? Failure to get permits is another way cheap contractors in Vancouver are able to underbid legitimate ones. Unfortunately unpermitted work can stop you from selling the property and even make you liable you to big fines and repair costs to get it to code.
• Will they be bringing in subcontractors for your project and if so, what are those company names?
• How often and when will they clean up the work site? What does the final post-project clean up include?
When you've chosen the best contractors in Vancouver WA for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed by the state of Washington as required by law. (All general contractors in Vancouver WA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Tips About General Contractors and Construction Companies in Vancouver WA
Have A Plan For Evaluating the Builders
There are good commercial builders or home builders in Vancouver WA. Feel free to have more than one conversation before moving forward and prepare what you want to cover before hand each time. You'll be happier with the end result when you make the time to properly outline your job and carefully match a builder to your needs.
Write a Description of the Job for the Builders
Write up a paragraph or two (depending on the intricacy of the job) about the project specifics before contacting construction companies in Vancouver WA. Since each general contractor will see the same written specifics, you'll be sure that you are comparing responses on an equal basis. Then you can better judge which construction company gave you the best answers to your consistent description.
Don't Decide Based on Price Alone
It's okay to get a few separate estimates for comparison. But remember, price should not be your only determining factor. The cheap contractors in Vancouver WA are usually not the best ones, and a cheap bid often turns out to be the most expensive in the long run due to cost overruns, or poor work that has to be fixed or redone by someone else.
Get it in Writing
Ask builders to give you everything in writing to prevent conflicts later. Ask the general contractors to provide you with a written description of the construction work, pricing and a time frame for completion.
Maintain Great Communication During Construction.
Communication is an often overlooked skill with general contractors. But to maintain a successful working relationship, both parties must make keep one another informed. If you have doubt about how the project is going, don't jump to conclusions. Instead, call and ask the builder about your concerns. There may be a reasonable explanation for changes or delays.
Commitment In Advance to do a Walk-Through Upon Completion
After the project is finished, return to the agreement you signed and walk through the site with the most senior staff member available at the construction company to compare the results to the particulars in the contract. Bring up any items that differ from what was agreed to.
Resources About General Contractors in Vancouver WA
Associations & Licensing for General Contractors in Vancouver WA
ABC Associated Builders and Contractors www.abc.org
ACO American Contractors Association www.americancontrqactorsorganization.org
AGC Association of General Contractors www.agc.org
AGC-OR Association of General Contractors Oregon www.agc-oregon.org
ASA American Subcontractors Association www.assaonline.com
BIAW Building Industry Association of Washington www.biaw.com
HBA Home Builders Association www.hbatc.com
NAHB National Association of Home Builders www.nahb.org
NAMC-OR National Association of Minority Contractors Oregon www.namc-oregon.org
NAWIC National Association of Women in Construction www.nawic.org
NICA Northwest Independent Contractors Association www.nicatraining.com
OCA Oregon Contractors Association www.orcontractors.org
OHBA Oregon Home Builders Association www.oregonhba.com
ORCA Oregon Residential Contractors Association www.oregonrca.org
Oregon Construction Contractors Board www.oregon.gov/ccb/
General Building Contractors Media &Web Resources
Building Design and Construction
Environmental Design and Construction Magazine
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
New Old House
Old House Journal
This Old House
Western Interiors and Design
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 General Contractors in Vancouver WA within the following zip codes:
98685, 98684, 98687, 98686, 98661, 98668, 98601, 98660, 98666, 98683, 98642, 98665, 98682, 98629, 98664, 98675, 98607, 98663, 98674, 98606, 98662, 98671 and 98604
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Construction Companies in Vancouver WA within the following cities:
Battle Ground, Camas, La Center, Ridgefield, Vancouver, Washougal, Yacolt, Amboy, Barberton, Brush Prairie, Dollars Corner, Felida, Five Corners, Hazel Dell, Hazel Dell North, Hazel Dell South, Hockinson, Lake Shore, Lewisville, Meadow Glade, Mill Plain, Minnehaha, Mount Vista, Orchards, Salmon Creek, Venersborg, Walnut Grove, Duluth and Fern Prairie