The Best Funeral Services in Chicago IL Are the Ones Proven Safe To Spend With
Funeral services in Chicago IL bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the funeral homes that have exceeded the minimum Illinois regulatory requirement. They are the ones proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for professionalism and ethics, carry liability insurance as protection for you the client, and for whom our staff has called previous clients to verify high satisfaction with them for funeral services in Chicago IL, including cremation services, funeral homes, memorial services, interment, pre-need funeral planning, mortuaries, cemeteries, and more.
Updated December 19, 2018
The Best Funeral Services in Chicago IL Are the Ones Proven Safe To Spend With
The state of Illinois requires providers of cremation services and funeral services in Chicago IL to be licensed through the State of Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation which requires an education in mortuary science, an internship under a licensed funeral director, and passing an exam.
But the state license is no guarantee that any particular cremation service or funeral home in Chicago IL is doing business ethically, providing value, or satisfying their clients.
That makes it all the more significant that all cremation services and funeral homes in Chicago IL that bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous clients to verify high satisfaction with their funeral or cremation services, good complaint record, verified liability insurance, verified state license, best business practices, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Cremation Services in Chicago IL
Cremation is gaining an increasing percentage of services arranged with funeral providers since many feel cremation in Chicago IL to be simpler, requiring fewer decisions and more affordable than burial. Cremation in Chicago IL can follow a funeral service or take place prior to a memorial service. Families can choose whether to have a traditional casket service prior to cremation. In contrast, a family might want to have cremation performed then have a memorial service at which the urn is displayed, often accompanies by a photo and flowers.
After the funeral and cremation services, funeral providers can scatter the remains, place the urn in a cemetary or return the cremains.
Funeral Homes in Chicago IL Perform a Variety of Services
There is much to consider when choosing between funeral homes in Chicago IL including for funeral services, memorial services, interment, and cremation in Chicago IL Depending on how large or small of a service you are seeking, the choices and prices can vary widely. Planning a funeral or memorial service requires coordinating myriad services, filling out paperwork, contacting friends and family, scheduling, gathering of relevant and necessary documents and more, all while in the process of grieving.
To avoid having to make difficult decisions during a time of great stress and emotion, many are now pre-planning memorial services. Some funeral homes in Chicago IL offer discounts or locked-in prices for making and paying for funeral arrangements ahead of time. Should you choose this, it's a good idea to review your decisions every few years and revise them accordingly.
Rules for Funerals in Chicago IL
While most funeral directors and/or funeral providers have the best interests of their clients in mind, others inflate prices or push unwanted services on their clients during their time of need. There is a federal law, known as the funeral rule, that helps prevent this. Among other things, the funeral rule states that:
• You have the right to choose the funeral goods and services you want (with some exceptions).
• Funeral providers in Chicago must state this in writing on the general price list.
• If state or local law requires you to buy any particular item, funeral homes must disclose this on the price list, with a reference to the specific law.
• Federal law requires funeral establishments to quote prices over the phone and to give you a General Price List (GPL) and a Casket Price List (CPL) when you ask in person about arrangements and prices.
• Funeral establishments are legally required to give you an itemized statement of your choices in funeral arrangement, including estimates for costs that are unknown at the time. The statement must also show charges for outside vendors arranged by the funeral provider such as music, flowers, newspaper notices, fees to clergy, etc
• Funeral providers may not refuse to handle a casket you built or bought elsewhere or charge fees to do so.
• The law does not require the purchase of a casket before cremation. Funeral providers that offer cremations must make a combustible cremation container available.
• Funeral providers may not provide embalming services without permission.
• Funeral providers may not falsely state that embalming is required by law.
• Funeral providers must disclose in writing that embalming is not required by law, except in certain, special cases.
• Funeral homes in Chicago may not charge a fee for unauthorized embalming unless embalming is required by state law.
• Funeral providers must disclose in writing that you usually have the right to choose a disposition, such as direct cremation or immediate burial, that does not require embalming if you do not want this service.
• Funeral homes in Chicago must disclose in writing that some funeral arrangements, such as a funeral with viewing, may make embalming a practical necessity and, if so, a required purchase.
• Funeral providers in Chicago must not tell you that state or local law requires a casket for direct cremations, because none do.
• Funeral homes must disclose in writing your right to buy an unfinished wood box or an alternative container for a direct cremation.
• Retail casket sellers are not allowed to arrange funerals or cremations or perform any other functions requiring a license as a funeral establishment.
• State or local law does not require you to buy a container to surround the casket in the grave. However, many cemeteries require that you have such a container so that the grave will not sink in. Either a grave liner or a burial vault will satisfy these requirements.
Some Funeral Services in Chicago IL Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these funeral homes in Chicago IL: . Other funeral homes and funeral providers in Chicago IL that might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask Cremation & Funeral Services in Chicago IL
Know What You're Looking for from Funeral Homes in Chicago IL
Hopefully, when you find yourself needing the services of a funeral home, you will have some idea of what you are looking for. Do you want the funeral home to handle paperwork and other arrangements? Do you want an expensive casket or something more budget conscious? Do you want burial or cremation services? Various funeral homes in Chicago and beyond specialize in different aspects of funeral services. Some offer alternative choices such as scattering the cremation remains in unique places or ways. Some offer green funerals in which the remains are not embalmed and are buried in caskets that biodegrade more quickly.
The following questions will get you started as you ask questions of local funeral directors and funeral homes:
• How long have the Chicago funeral directors been in the funeral home / undertaking business?
• How long have they been serving clients and families in Cook County and Chicago IL? (Rules, laws, and regulations vary by area, so having an experienced local funeral home take care of you can help minimize stress and issues.]
• What are the funeral homes' fees, broken down by individual services?
• Can the Chicago funeral homes provide forms for a newspaper obituary?
• Can the funeral homes provide a viewing or visitation without embalming if that's something you or your loved one wants?
• Is there a way the local funeral homes can prove that previous family members have been satisfied with their funeral services? This may include a list of references or recommendations. (All funeral homes and cremation services in Chicago IL have already had client references verified for satisfaction by our research staff.)
• Do the Chicago funeral homes provide additional funeral services such as flowers, clergy, music, catering, space for family gatherings after the funeral, etc.?
• What are your options at the funeral homes in Chicago regarding cremation services, burial, and final disposition?
• If the body is donated to science, will the funeral homes still provide funeral services?
• Who does the embalming at the mortuary? What is their experience and education?
• Will the local funeral homes in Chicago show you proof of insurance that reimburses you in the event of any damages due to error? (All funeral homes and cremation services in Chicago IL have already had their proof of insurance verified by our research staff.)
• How long after death is embalming necessary, and can the funeral homes guarantee they'll be able to provide those services within that time frame?
• Is an obituary in the newspaper required? Is there a cost associated with the obituary writing or placement? Can the Chicago funeral home help with obituary writing services and placement if needed?
• What are your options regarding time of service at each of the Chicago funeral homes and mortuaries in Cook County IL?
• Do the funeral directors in Chicago have suggestions for personalizing the funeral services?
• Is there a way to substantially reduce the cost of the funeral services? If so, what would you be sacrificing as a result? Alternatively, is there an upgrade in the services possible for just a little bit more money?
• Can the funeral homes help with securing social security or veteran's death benefits?
• Will the funeral homes allow you to arrange payments to pay for the funeral services if needed?
Once you've chosen the best funeral providers in Chicago IL for your particular needs, make sure they are licensed by the state since that's required by law. (All funeral homes and cremation services in Chicago IL have already had their state license verified by our research staff.)
Resources About Funerals in Chicago IL
Regulatory Bodies & Trade Associations For Funeral Homes in Chicago IL
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
Funeral Consumers Alliance www.funerals.org
CANA Cremation Association of North America www.cremationassociation.org
Cremation Society of Illinois www.cremation-society.com
IFDA Illinois Funeral Directors Association www.ifda.org
IFDF Independent Funeral Directors of Florida www.ifdf.org
ICCFA International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association www.iccfa.org
NFDA National Funeral Directors Association www.nfda.org/resources
National Funeral Directors and Morticians Association www.nfdma.com
NEIFDA Northeastern Illinois Funeral Directors Association www.facebook.com/NEIFDA
Federal Trade Commission Facts for Consumers www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/services/funeral.shtm
Magazines & Publications Relevant to Funeral Homes in Chicago IL
International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association Magazine www.iccfa.com/publications/iccfa-magazine/iccfa-magazine
Funeral Business Advisor www.funeralbusinessadvisor.com
American Funeral Director www.americanfuneraldirector.com
Official Publication of the National Funeral Directors Association nfda.org/nfda-publications/the-director.html
Mortuary Management www.mortuarymanagement.com
Funeral Business Advisor www.funeralbusinessadvisor.com
Funeral Home & Cemetery Directory www.nomispublications.com
Cremationist Magazine www.cremationassociation.org/?page=CremationistMagazine
American Cemetery & Cremation Magazine www.mortuarymall.com/American-Cemetery-Magazine-p/ns-kb-ac.htm
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Funeral Homes in Chicago IL within the following zip codes:
60638, 60827, 60623, 60660, 60644, 60630, 60706, 60652, 60637, 60805, 60622, 60659, 60643, 60629, 60690, 60651, 60636, 60804, 60621, 60657, 60642, 60628, 60684, 60649, 60634, 60803, 60620, 60656, 60641, 60626, 60680, 60647, 60633, 60714, 60655, 60640, 60625, 60666, 60646, 60632, 60712, 60654, 60639, 60624, 60661, 60645, 60631, 60707, 60653, 60604, 60456, 60425, 60480, 60610, 60463, 60439, 60526, 60616, 60471, 60603, 60455, 60422, 60478, 60609, 60462, 60438, 60525, 60615, 60469, 60602, 60454, 60477, 60608, 60461, 60430, 60513, 60614, 60467, 60453, 60601, 60476, 60607, 60459, 60429, 60501, 60613, 60466, 60452, 60558, 60619, 60475, 60606, 60458, 60428, 60487, 60612, 60465, 60445, 60546, 60618, 60473, 60605, 60457, 60426, 60482, 60611, 60464, 60443, 60534, 60617, 60472, 60193, 60160, 60078, 60204, 60168, 60130, 60402, 60192, 60159, 60077, 60203, 60165, 60107, 60305, 60179, 60155, 60419, 60076, 60202, 60164, 60104, 60304, 60176, 60154, 60415, 60074, 60201, 60163, 60093, 60303, 60173, 60153, 60411, 60195, 60162, 60091, 60302, 60171, 60133, 60409, 60194, 60161, 60090, 60301, 60169, 60131, 60406, 60067, 60011, 60026, 60004, 60065, 60010-2, 60025, 60062, 60009, 60022, 60056, 60008, 60018, 60053, 60007, 60070, 60017, 60043, 60006, 60068, 60016, 60029 and 60005
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Funeral Services in Chicago IL within the following cities:
Berwyn, Blue Island, Burbank, Calumet City, Chicago, Chicago Heights, Des Plaines, Evanston, Harvey, Oak Forest, Oak Lawn, Palos Hills, Park Ridge, Cicero, Alsip, Arlington Heights, Barrington, Bellwood, Brookfield, Dolton, Elk Grove Village, Elmwood Park, Evergreen Park, Franklin Park, Glenview, Hanover Park, Hoffman Estates, Homewood, Kenilworth, Lansing, Lemont, Matteson, Maywood, Melrose Park, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Northbrook, Northfield, Oak Park, Orland Park, Palatine, Palos Park, Park Forest, Prospect Heights, Schaumburg, Skokie, South Holland, Streamwood, Tinley Park, Westchester, Wheeling, Wilmette and Winnetka