The Best Remodelers in Harford County MD Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Remodeling contractors in Harford County MD bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol are those that have exceeded the minimum Maryland regulatory standard. They are the remodelers proven by our independent research to have passed the Top Ten requirements for reliability and value, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who have agreed to hire only documented employees, and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as home remodelers, addition builders, commercial remodeling contractors or for home repairs in Harford County MD, including basement remodeling, basement finishing, and more.
Updated February 27, 2020
The Best Remodelers in Harford County MD Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Maryland requires remodeling contractors in Harford County MD to be licensed by the state in order to do any residential remodeling, including condominiums. The state license is obtained by home improvement companies without any kind of exam of competancy in the field, merely requiring that they have worked in the industry in some manner for only two years, or have no industry experience but have two years of related education.
So the state license is no guarantee that any particular commercial or home remodeling company in Harford County MD is even competent, is doing business ethically, providing real value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all commercial or home remodelers in Harford County MD who bear The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten status, such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as remodeling contractors, good complaint record, verified state license, liability and workers' comp insurance to protect you, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Signs of the Best Remodelers in Harford County MD:
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE WITH REMODELS
A remodeling project, whether home improvement or commercial remodeling, is often more complex than building from scratch. First, the remodeling contractor has to work within the limitations or peculiarities of the existing structure. Second, it's common for surprises to come up during the remodel, because some things can't be known until walls or ceilings are opened, floors taken up, etc. exposing hidden factors. The best remodeling contractors in Harford County MD are those with the experience to forsee these possibilities and the honesty to explain them to you at the outset, particularly, how it can affect the final cost of the remodel.
Respect and consideration for the customer are also hallmarks of good remodeling contractors since remodels often require work done while the customer is working or living in the space. For this reason, communicating their expected work schedule to you all along the way, keeping to it, or giving you notice on occasions where they can't, are all characteristics of the best remodeling contractors. Some remodelers in Harford County will even bring portable toilets for the use of the crew to avoid their use of your washroom (or your bushes). A customer living on site during a home remodeling project should expect some inconvenience during the project, but again, respectful remodeling contractors will keep the potential inconvenience to the minimum possible.
Attention to keeping the work site as neat as possible throughout, and cleaning thoroughly at the end of each day, like vacuuming dust and putting materials away, are behaviors that set some remodeling contractors far above the rest and result in much higher customer satisfaction with the finished project.
Home remodelers should know their crew well and be able to vouch for them as trustworthy especially when that crew has access to your home or family.
Of course attention to detail is important for quality work, but detail is critical right from the beginning with the cost proposal they prepare for you. Such a bid should detail the exact brands, fixtures, types of materials and amounts of each. If not, the bid might be quoting only the cheapest options so that later when you find out once the project is underway and you request better substitutions, the cost goes up. So good remodelers will go over those options with you before submitting a written proposal, and include your specific choices, and their costs, in the written bid.
Home Remodelers in Harford County MD Add Value
Remodeling contractors in Harford County MD perform many aspects of home repair or specialized home remodeling. A straightforward way to add value to your home is to remodel areas where dated technology and style are most glaring.
Not only are home improvement companies in Harford County MD able to make an existing space appear larger, they can also create space by shifting square footage to one room from another or by doing a home addition. Finishing a basement is a great way to get extra living space without a home addition, or perhaps a wine cellar.
Other home remodeling contractors specialize in just certain aspects of home improvement like carports and patio covers, sunrooms and screen rooms in Harford County. But even contractors building patio covers or sun rooms in Harford County must be state-registered contractors.
Whether it's a big family room with a new fireplace or a new guest room, office, granny unit, garage, sunroom, patio cover, patio enclosure, screen room, carport, wine cellar, second story addition, or even a complete reconstruction of an older house, use the above list of home remodeling companies in Harford County proven through independent research as safer, more reliable, and who provide more value.
Added Value From Basement Finishing by Basement Remodelers in Harford County MD
Many homeowners have gotten additional value and a higher quality of life from their home with basement finishing in Harford County MD done by experienced basement remodeling contractors. It's an immediate increase in living space often for less cost than a home addition. But the basement remodelers in Harford County MD must be experienced with the specifics to basement finishing, such as moisture control, checking floor joists, proper and safe ventilation, and what it will take to get a basement remodeling project to conform to local building codes for a space that is often starts as non-conforming. The best basement remodeling contractors in Harford County MD will be able to show you previous finished basement remodeling projects.
Increased Popularity of Patio Enclosures, Sunrooms & Patio Covers in Harford County MD
Changes to more comfortably enjoy your outdoor space or to bring facets of the outdoors to an inside space are increasing in popularity. Patio cover companies and sunroom contractors in Harford County are frequent choice.
A sunroom, sun lounge, sun porch or sun parlor is a portion of the home providing enjoyment of the sun and the view while avoiding adverse weather such as wind and rain. They also go by the terms patio room, solarium, conservatory, patio enclosure or Florida room. Some are designed with the view as the priority, others are intended to collect sunlight for light and warmth.
Patio enclosures and patio covers are another option. Patio cover companies build a roof with supports to cover a patio. Patio covers provide protection from rain and shade. If such an area is also surrounded by screens, it may be referred to as a screen room.
Some Home Remodeling Contractors in Harford County MD Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these remodeling contractors in Harford County: Harford Home Improvements Bel Air MD, B Keith Home Improvements Havre De Grace MD, Moats Home Improvements Jarrettsville MD, Wampler & Sons Joppa MD, Independence Home Improvement Street MD, Basement Systems USA Joppa MD. Other home remodeling contractors in Harford County MD that might still be in business include: .
Questions to Ask Remodelers in Harford County MD
When hiring commercial or home remodelers in Harford County MD, ask these questions about their abilities, experience, and methods before hiring:
• How long have they been doing business specifically as remodeling contractors in Harford County MD?
• Will they show you examples of remodels they've completed that are similar to what you want done?
• Will the remodeling contractors give you names and numbers of previous clients you can call as references? (All remodeling contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already had their customers references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do they have experience with the exact kind of remodeling you want? The expertise needed to build a patio cover or sunroom is different than that needed for a home addition, which in turn is different than a second story addition.
• Will they give a written bid with complete detail on the exact fixtures, items, and brands including product numbers, types of material and amount of material to be used? (This is critical because cheap remodeling contractors often only appear lower cost because they intentionally quote for only the lowest cost items, knowing that later you will probably want upgrades once you see them, which will the make the final cost much higher than their unrealistically low cost estimate.)
• Can they foresee any aspects that are unknown until the project is underway, such as what's under floors, inside ceilings, behind walls, that could change the cost of the project, and by how much specifically in each case? (Some home remodelers only seem cheap because they don't tell you about these possible unknowns, either due to lack of experience to anticipate them, or purposely to look like the low bidder in order to get your business).
• Is the individual who is doing the estimate (and making promises to you) the same one who will be doing the remodeling or overseeing the project? Or instead, will you be handed off to a different person in the company and if so, who?
• Will the remodeler give you a written contract to sign?
• How soon after the contract is signed will they begin?
• What is the project time frame from contract signing to completion?
• Once the remodeling starts, will they be there every day until done , or is it possible they will be absent for days at a time to do work for other customers? If so, will this alter the estimated completion date?
• Can they prove to you that all their employees are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All remodelers in Harford County bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Will they give any written guarantees on their workmanship besides manufacturers warranties on products used, and if so, for what time period and what in included?
• Is a permit required by your city for the remodeling you intend? If so, will the remodeling be getting those permits or do they leave that up to you?
• Will they be using only actual employees of their company, or instead do they bring in subcontractors? If so, what are the names of those subcontractors so you can research those?
• If they do use subcontractors, will you pay those subcontractors directly, or does the remodeling contractor do that? If the remodeling company, will they collect and give you a lien release from each subcontractor as assurance for you that those subcontractors will not file a lien on your property for any claims against the remodeler, such as if they are not paid on time?
• If you will be using the space while it is being remodeled, such as living in your house during a home remodel, how often and when do they clean up throughout the project?
• What methods or equipment do they use to keep the remodeling as clean as possible while you're using the space, for example air filters, dust barriers etc?
• How often will they communicate to you their expected schedule and by what method?
• Will they show you copies of their liability insurance and workers' compensation insurance? (All remodelers in Harford County MD bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff.)
When you've chosen the best remodeling contractors in Harford County MD for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed by the state of Maryland. (All remodeling companies in Harford County bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already had their license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About Home Remodeling Contractors in Harford County MD
Licensing & Trade Associations Related to Remodelers in Harford County MD
ABC Associated Builders and Contractors www.abc.org
ASA American Subcontractors Association www.assaonline.com
Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation www.dllr.state.md.us
Maryland Improvement Contractors Association www.marylandremodelers.com
Maryland Home Improvement Commission www.dllr.state.md.us/license/mhic/
NARI National Association of the Remodeling Industry www.nari.org
Media & Web Resources for Remodelers in Harford County MDCONTRACTOR Magazine
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
Interiors and Sources
New Old House
Old House Journal
Professional Remodeler Magazine
This Old House
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Remodeling Contractors in Harford County MD within the following zip codes:
21078, 21160, 21154, 21132, 21085, 21084, 21018, 21001, 21017, 21050, 21015, 21047, 21014, 21040, 21010, 21034, 21009, 21028 and 21005
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Remodelers in Harford County Maryland within the following cities:
Aberdeen, Havre de Grace, Bel Air, Bel Air North, Bel Air South, Edgewood, Fallston, Jarrettsville, Joppatowne, Perryman, Pleasant Hills, Riverside, Abingdon, Dublin, Norrisville and Pylesville