The Best Construction Companies in Jefferson Parish LA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
General contractors in Jefferson Parish LA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the construction companies that have met a higher standard than the minimum Louisiana regulatory standard.
They are the ones proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, carry liability insurance for your protection, who use only employees verified legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as residential or commercial builders in Jefferson Parish LA, including new custom home builders, boat house builders, dock builders, builders of bridges, piers, bulkheads and other marine heavy construction contractors.
Updated February 13, 2019
The Best Construction Companies in Jefferson Parish LA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Only for work that exceeds $7,500 do residential general contractors in Jefferson Parish LA have to be registered with the state for which no test or exam is required. Commercial construction that exceeds $50,000 or residential construction that exceeds $75,000 calls for a license that does require passing an exam.
But those are no guarantee that any particular remodeling contractor in Jefferson Parish LA is doing business ethically, providing real value, or satisfying its customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all general contractors in Jefferson Parish LA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified state license, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Not all general contractors in Jefferson Parish LA can be equally experienced in every specialized area of construction. So find general contractors in Jefferson Parish LA based on the specific type of work you need done. Some general contractors specialize as custom home builders in Jefferson Parish LA, as design/build contractors, as commercial contractors, as marine heavy construction builders, or as municipal construction companies.
Regardless of the particular construction services you need, there are general contractors in Jefferson Parish LA who can perform the kind of construction you want done.
Marine Heavy Construction in Jefferson Parish LA and the Gulf Coast
The Gulf Coast area has the need for expert builders of marine construction such as custom boat houses, docks, piers, bulk heads, and the like. If the marine construction involves the need to drive pilings, then the law requires that marine builder to have a heavy construction license. Using a general contractor without that heavy construction license for driving pilings will result in your insurance company denying a future claim as the contractor will have been considered not properly licensed as the policy requires.
Marine construction contractors should also have Longshoreman's insurance to cover a potential injury that takes place on a water vessel as such is almost always used in the types of marine heavy construction involving piers, bulk heads, docks, bridges and the like.
Custom Dock Builders in Jefferson Parish LA
The best custom dock builders in Jefferson Parish LA can build a custom dock in a variety of styles and materials such as a wood dock or a manufactured composite material with the intent of greater resistance to weather, water, fading and rot so as to require less maintenance.
Hiring a local general contractor with experience building custom docks, including fixed docks, floating docks, wood docks, composite docks, boat docks, viewing docks or specialty docks is important so that you get the best construction and outcome.
Bulkhead Builders & Seawall Contractors
in Jefferson Parish LA
Most marine contractors in Jefferson Parish LA and the rest of Jefferson Parish can build both residential and commercial bulkheads and seawalls with a choice in materials that includes wood, vinyl, steel, or fiberglass.
Some General Contractors in Jefferson Parish LA Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these general building contractors in Jefferson Parish LA: .
Other construction firms, home builders and general contractors in Jefferson Parish LA that might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask General Contractors in Jefferson Parish LA
Step 1: Describe The Construction Work to the General Contractors in Jefferson Parish LA
When you talk with general contractors in Jefferson Parish, explain what type of construction you need. Be consistent so each of the construction companies can submit an estimate based on the same information.
Step 2: Ask Questions and Take Notes
Before you create a list of possible general contractors for your construction project, ask them some important questions about their technical abilities, experience, and the specifics of your construction project. When the general contractors ask you questions, take notes on their concerns. They may reveal some aspects of the construction that are new to you.
Ask the general contractors the following questions about their experience, abilities, and methods:
• How long have they been builders in Jefferson Parish LA specifically?
• How many other projects have they done that are like yours? (Custom home building versus commercial building, etc.)
• Will the general contractor give you names and numbers of customers that you can call as references? (All general contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had customers references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How long will it take them to prepare a written bid once they conduct the estimate?
• Will they show you proof of workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All general contractors in Jefferson Parish LA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will the general contractor prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All builders in Jefferson Parish LA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire legally documented workers.)
• How do they determine pricing? For example is it T&M (time and materials) or a flat price and how are cost overruns handled?
• Will they give you a written contract that details the exact brands of products, model numbers, materials and amounts to be used? Neglecting to show those in writing is a way that seemingly cheap contractors unrealistically underbid others to get your project. Either you're getting poor materials that look bad or will fail. or you request better materials once the job is underway and the cost goes up accordingly.
• What type of written guarantee does each of the construction companies provide and what are the terms?
• Will construction permits be needed? If so, will the general contractors be responsible for getting those or do they leave that to you? Failure to get permits is another way cheap contractors in Jefferson Parish are able to underbid legitimate ones. Unfortunately unpermitted work can stop you from selling the property and even make you liable you to big fines and repair costs to get it to code.
• Will they be bringing in subcontractors for your project and if so, what are those company names?
• How often and when will they clean up the work site? What does the final post-project clean up include?
• In the case of marine construction contractors in Jefferson Parish LA, if pile driving is to be done, do they specifically have the heavy construction license as required by law, as well as Longshoreman's insurance specifically covering an injury of their worker while aboard a water vessel? (All marine construction contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol have had their heavy construction license and Longshoreman's insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
When you've chosen the best general construction contractors in Jefferson Parish LA for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed by the state of Louisiana as required by law. (All general contractors in Jefferson Parish LA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Tips About General Contractors and Construction Companies in Jefferson Parish LA
Have A Plan For Evaluating the Builders
There are good commercial builders or home builders in Jefferson Parish LA. Feel free to have more than one conversation before moving forward and prepare what you want to cover before hand each time. You'll be happier with the end result when you make the time to properly outline your job and carefully match a builder to your needs.
Write a Description of the Job for the General Builders
Write up a paragraph or two (depending on the intricacy of the job) about the project specifics before contacting construction companies in Jefferson Parish LA.
Since each general contractor will see the same written specifics, you'll be sure that you are comparing responses on an equal basis.
Then you can better judge which construction company gave you the best answers to your consistent description.
Don't Decide on a Local General Contractor Based on Price Alone
It's okay to get a few separate estimates for comparison. But remember, price should not be your only determining factor. The cheap contractors in Jefferson Parish LA are usually not the best ones, and a cheap bid often turns out to be the most expensive in the long run due to cost overruns, or poor work that has to be fixed or redone by someone else.
Get All Aspects of the General Construction Job in Writing
Ask builders to give you everything in writing to prevent conflicts later. Ask the general contractors to provide you with a written description of the construction work, pricing and a time frame for completion.
Maintain Great Communication During Construction.
Communication is an often overlooked skill with general contractors. But to maintain a successful working relationship, both parties must make keep one another informed.
If you have doubt about how the project is going, don't jump to conclusions. Instead, call and ask the builder about your concerns. There may be a reasonable explanation for changes or delays.
Commit In Advance to Do a Walk-Through Upon Completion
After the project is finished, return to the agreement you signed and walk through the site with the most senior staff member available at the construction company to compare the results to the particulars in the contract. Bring up any items that differ from what was agreed to.
Resources About General Contractors in Jefferson Parish LA
Associations & Licensing for General Contractors in Jefferson Parish LA
ABC Associated Builders and Contractors www.abc.org
ABC of LA Associated Builders and Contractors of Louisiana www.abclouisiana.org
ACO American Contractors Association www.americancontrqactorsorganization.org
AGC Association of General Contractors www.agc.org
ASA American Subcontractors Association www.assaonline.com
BIAW Building Industry Association of Washington www.biaw.com
HBA Home Builders Association www.hbatc.com
HBASWLA Home Builders Association of Southwest Louisiana
HBAGNO Home Builders Association of Greater New Orleans www.hbagno.org
LCIA Louisiana Construction and Industry Association www.lciassociation.com
LHBA Louisiana Home Builders Association www.lhba.org
LAGC Louisana Associated General Contractors www.lagc.org
Louisiana Licensing Board for Contractors www.lslbc.louisiana.gov
IMCA International Marine Contractors Association www.imca-int.com
NAHB National Association of Home Builders www.nahb.org
PDCA Pile Driving Contractors Association www.piledrivers.org
STHBA Northshore Home Builders Association www.sthba.org
SLHBA Southeastern Louisiana Home Builders Association www.selhba.org
NAWIC National Association of Women in Construction www.nawic.org
General Building Contractors Media & Web Resources
Building Design and Construction
Environmental Design and Construction Magazine
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
Louisiana AGC News lagcnews.wordpress.com
New Old House
Old House Journal
This Old House
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 General Contractors in Jefferson Parish LA within the following zip codes:
70067, 70011, 70123, 70056, 70001, 70065, 70010, 70121-2, 70055, 70064, 70006, 70096, 70054, 70063, 70005, 70094, 70053, 70062, 70004, 70073, 70036, 70501, 70059, 70003, 70072, 70033, 70358, 70058 and 70002
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Construction Companies in Jefferson Parish LA within the following cities:
Avondale, Barataria, Bridge City, Elmwood, Elton, Estelle, Grand Isle, Gretna, Harahan, Harvey, Jean Lafitte, Jefferson, Jennings, Kenner, Lafitte, Lake Arthur, Marrero, Metairie, River Ridge, Terrytown, Timberlane, Waggaman, Welsh, Westwego, Woodmere, East Bank, West Bank, Bayou Barataria and Gulf of Mexico