The Best Drywall Contractors in Grand Rapids MI Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Drywall contractors in Grand Rapids MI bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are ones proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for ability and safety, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who use only employees documented as legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as new drywall installers in Grand Rapids MI, or for drywall repair.
Updated December 24, 2016
The Best Drywall Contractors in Grand Rapids MI Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Michigan doesn't require any state license of drywall contractors in Grand Rapids MI for drywall installation or repair that doesn't involve other work on the load bearing part of the wall, instead leaving it up to the cities, and in unincorporated areas, the county as to whether or not the industry is regulated, so there is no state standard for competency for drywall installers in Grand Rapids MI.
So there is no guarantee that any particular company for drywall in Grand Rapids MI is even competent, is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all residential or commercial drywall contractors in Grand Rapids MI who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified liablity and workers comp insurance for your protection, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Drywall is sometimes known as wallboard, plasterboard or gypsum board. (You may also think of it as Sheetrock, but that only applies if it is manufactured by U.S. Gypsum Company as Sheetrock because a brand name). Drywall consists of a paper liner over a core of gypsum.
Drywall is sturdy, strong, relatively inexpensive, easy to install and long lasting, making it the perfect material for modern wall and ceiling construction and repair. In the days before gypsum wallboard, interior walls were done with lathing and plaster, a process that took considerably more time and effort than drywall installation and with less uniformity.
Today, drywall contractors in Grand Rapids have the expertise to professionally hang drywall and do drywall repair in a way that leaves no visible seams, bumps, nail or screw holes or other imperfections, creating a smooth wall or ceiling surface, ready to paint or cover in some other way.
Drywall Contractors in Grand Rapids MI Have Skills
Hanging drywall correctly is a true skill. The best drywall contractors in Grand Rapids MI have honed this skill through years of experience. Drywall typically is manufactured in panels four feet wide and of varying lengths. Custom drywall panels of non-standard sizes can be ordered as well. Drywall panels are commonly one-half-inch thick, but it is available up to one-inch thick. Drywall offers some passive fire resistance since gypsum resists the transfer of heat.
Drywall panels are cut to size by scoring each side using a straight edge and snapping the drywall along the scored edge. The drywall contractor then fastens the panels to the wood or metal framing of the structure using drywall screws, specially designed for this purpose. In certain instances, the drywall is fastened to the structure using adhesives.
Since drywall comes in panels, there are seams between each section which must be eliminated after installation. Drywall contractors cover and conceal these seams along with screw holes, by using joint tape over each seam, and with joint compound (sometimes referred to as mud). This allows the drywall contractor to eliminate any imperfections, seams and holes, leaving a smooth surface. The joint compound is allowed to dry and is then sanded to smooth the drywall texture. To further reduce the visible differences between the drywall itself and the joint compound and tape, drywall contractors may apply a light overall coat of finishing compound.
Lightweight, inexpensive and eminently utilitarian, drywall is the material of choice for modern ceilings and walls. The process of drywall installation seems relatively simple, but to ensure your drywall project is successful it's important to find a drywall contractor in Grand Rapids who is experienced, creative and will take the time to do the drywall right.
Some Drywall Contractors in Grand Rapids MI Are A Much Better Value Than Others.
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these contractors for drywall in Grand Rapids MI: . Other contractors that might still do drywall in Grand Rapids MI include: .
Questions To Ask Drywall Contractors in Grand Rapids MI
When choosing which drywall contractors in Grand Rapids MI to hire, ask these questions about their experience, range of services, credentials, and methods and materials.
• How long have they been doing drywall in Grand Rapids MI specifically?
• How many installations have they done similar to yours, in terms of size of job, residential versus commercial?
• Can the drywall contractor give you names and numbers of customers who had a similar kind of installation done who you can call as references? (All drywall contractors in Grand Rapids MI bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do the drywall contractors specialize in the type of drywall need you've described, such as drywall repair, drywall texture, drywall finishing or drywall hanging?
• Can the company vouch that all employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? (All drywall companies in Grand Rapids MI bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• How will they determine pricing?
• How long do they expect the work to take?
• What kinds of restrictions will there be on your access to the property during the project and how often will they clean up the work space?
• Will they show you proof of active workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All drywallers in Grand Rapids MI bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will they provide a written estimate that is detailed, including the amount of material to be used, its thickness, brand name, country of origin, and product number? (This is key because the cheapest drywall contractors often only appear cheaper by using less material or poor quality drywall.)
• What are the manufacturer warranties on the material to be used?
• Do they provide a written warranty for their labor, aside from manufacturer warranties?
• Will they perform all phases of the drywall job including drywall tape services, drywall mud application or drywall finishing, or do they hire journeymen and/or subcontractors to finish the drywall jobs?
• Will permits be needed? If so, will the contractors be responsible for getting them or do they leave that up to you?
• Do they use only their own employees, or do they hire subcontractors, and if so, what are the names of those companies?
When you've chosen the best drywall contractors in Grand Rapids MI for your specific needs, make sure they have a county or city license if that is legally required in your area, since the state of Michigan doesn't require any state license for drywall installers. (All drywall contractors in Grand Rapids MI bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their county or city contractor license, if required by law, verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
The Best Drywall Contractors in Grand Rapids MI Use Good Drywall Brands
CalRock® Brand Lami, Sheetrock, USG Drywall, Hi-Abuse Wallboard, Hi-Impact Wallboard, No-Coat Strait Flex, No Pock Pro, Ultraflex, Zooma-Flex, Levelline, The Nailer, The Great Wall Patch, Bullnose, E-Z Anchor, Twist-N-Lock, BPB, Georgia Pacifice, James Hardi, National Gypsum, Pabco Gypsum, Temple Inland, Unifix Inc., United States Gypsum, Big Daddy's Toolz, Alto, Porter Cable-Loveless Sanding System, Mud Master, Cinta, Benron Airlessco, Telpro, Spray Tek, XP Wallboard, Gold Bond Gypsum Wallboard, Durabase Gypsum Wallboard.
Resources About Drywall in Grand Rapids MI
Associations & Licensing for Drywall Repair and Drywall Installation in Grand Rapids MI
AWCI Association of the Wall and Ceiling Industry www.awci.org
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
Gypsum Association www.gypsum.org
Drywall Recycling www.drywallrecycling.org
Drywall Information Trust Fund www.drywallca.com
Drywall Info.com www.drywallinfo.com
Walls & Ceilings Magazine www.wconline.com
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Drywall Contractors in Grand Rapids MI within the following zip codes:
49504, 49510, 49341, 49519, 49503, 49548, 49509, 49331, 49518, 49502, 49546, 49508, 49330, 49516, 49501, 49544, 49507, 49326, 49515, 49468, 49534, 49506, 49514, 49418, 49525, 49505, 49512, 49345, 49523, 49318, 48418, 49316, 49315, 49306, 49302, 49321, 49301, 49319 and 48436
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Drywall in Grand Rapids MI within the following cities:
Caledonia, Cedar Springs, Comstock Park, East Grand Rapids, Forest Hills, Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kent City, Kentwood, Northview, Rockford, Walker, Wyoming, Ada, Algoma, Alpine, Bowne, Byron, Cannon, Cascade, Courtland, Gaines, Grattan, Lowell, Nelson, Oakfield, Plainfield, Solon, Sparta, Spencer, Tyrone, Vergennes and Cutlerville