The Best Garage Door Contractors in Grand Rapids MI Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the ones that have exceeded the minimum Michigan regulatory standard. They are those proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, that carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who hire only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff have called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with themas installers of new garage doors in Grand Rapids MI, including overhead doors, garage door repair, rollup doors, and garage door openers.
Updated December 25, 2016
The Best Garage Door Contractors in Grand Rapids MI Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Michigan requires residential garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI to be licensed by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) for any work over $600 in material and labor. Commercial garage door or overhead door companies are not required to be licensed at all. Those licensed after June 1 2008 had to complete 60 hours of prelicensure education and pass an exam.
But even the state license for residential garage doors is no guarantee that any particular garage door contractor in Grand Rapids MI is doing business ethically, is delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all contractors for garage door repair or new garage doors in Grand Rapids MI who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified state license (residential garage doors only), only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
It's a relief to have a garage and all the benefits that come with it, such as a dry parking space and extra storage. But the whole package is worthless if you can't get inside. Garage doors need regular maintenance and upgrades, tasks which can be a hassle to undertake on your own. Take advantage of one of the experienced garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI to install or service your garage doors and the job will go much more smoothly and quickly. The Prime Buyer's Report has researched local garage door professionals to teach you about the business and recommend some great companies to work with.
Cheap Garage Door Companies in Grand Rapids MI Usually Aren't the Good Ones
There are reports of discount garage door contractors who quote dishonestly low prices on the phone for something like spring replacement to get the appointment, and then triple the price once they arrive, claiming the reason for the drastic price increase is that the springs need to be measured. "Springs don't need to be measured," an industry insider tells us. "The spring to use is determined by the weight of the door." Other garage door contractors are claiming that their springs come with a Lifetime Guarantee from the manufacturer. "There are no such springs," says the same insider. "Some springs may be warrantied by the maker for a certain number of cycles, like 40,000 to 50,000 cycles for the better quality springs, but there aren't any springs guaranteed for life. A garage door installer claiming that should immediately be suspect."
Garage Door Companies in Grand Rapids MI Perform Numerous Services
Garage door contractors specialize in all of the intensive labor necessary to keep your garage doors in proper working condition. There are different classes of garage doors that require greater durability, as in warehouses and commercial settings, but most contractors take care of residential garage door service too. If you've decided to change your original garage doors, good garage door installers can install custom overhead or automatic garage doors for easy access. They can even convert carports into garage enclosures with custom metal garage doors or wood garage doors. They regularly provide garage doors service and garage door repair for all of the moving parts in existing installations. Some local garage door contractors are torsion spring specialists who can readily replace broken springs or repair salvageable springs. If your garage door springs suddenly fail (and trap you inside), many contractors are available 24 hours for emergency visits. Good garage door repair companies will also repair broken cables, automatic motors, sagging doors, and various hardware. After installation, garage door contractors will usually perform regular preventative maintenance to avoid future mishaps, and some of the parts they use, including garage door springs and commercial-grade garage door coiling, are factory direct and come with a lifetime warranty. The garage door contractors in Grand Rapids are familiar with most types of garage doors and install a large variety of styles and brands.
Garage Door Installers in Grand Rapids MI Offer Many Garage Door Styles and Materials
Most garage door contractors have access to a large selection of styles and functional options. If you're replacing a residential garage door, you can choose from custom applied sliding doors, good one-piece doors, carriage style or carriage garage doors, automatic garage doors, garage door panels, or rolling doors. Each type of garage doors are available in a number of materials that may enhance the appearance of the garage, including vinyl garage doors, polyurethane, cedar garage doors steel garage doors, wood garage doors, polystyrene, composite, metal garage doors, wooden garage doors, aluminum garage doors, and fiberglass garage doors. You can choose from different relief patterns as well, such as flush, ribbed, raised panel, or elongated panels. Doors can usually be outfitted with automatic garage door openers, and the contractor will provide and repair garage door remotes, transmitters, quiet glide rollers or radio controls for increased accessibility and decreased noise. Commercial sites and warehouses have an entirely different suite of options, including sheet steel garage doors, security and pass doors, raised panel steel doors, UL listed fire rated doors, aluminum and glass overhead doors, rolling steel and grille, insulated garage doors, sectional garage doors, and roll-up doors or rollup garage doors.
Some Garage Door Companies in Grand Rapids MI Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report listes these garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI: . Other companies for garage doors in Grand Rapids MI that might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask Garage Door Contractors in Grand Rapids MI
When it comes to hiring for garage doors in Grand Rapids MI, ask these questions about the abilities, experience, and credentials:
• How long have they been repairing or installers of garage doors in Grand Rapids MI specifically? (Different regions have their own unique weather such as amount of sunlight, coldest temperatures, ocean spray, wind spees etc. that will effect choices in models, material and finishes. The length of experience doing garage doors in your location specifically shows familiarity with these aspects.)
• Will they guarantee that all their garage doors conform to the specific wind speed requirement for Grand Rapids as called for in the Michigan state building code?
• How many installations have they done similar to yours, in terms of size of job, residential versus commercial, steel versus wood garage doors, etc.?
• Will the garage door installers give you names and numbers of customers who had a similar kind of installation done who you can call as references? (All garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will they provide a written estimate that is detailed, including the brand name, product numbers, types of springs and other hardware? (This is key because cheap garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI often only seem cheaper because they are using inferior garage door brands or hardware compared to others which will not last and require expensive repairs and maintenance later.)
• Do they see an obvious modification you could make to your specifications that would substantially reduce the cost of the estimate, and if so, what would you lose in performance? Similarly, do they see a big lift in performance or visual appeal that can be had for just a little bit more money?
• For a wood garage door, how the wood treated to be weather resistant? If so, is there a manufacturer warranty to that effect on the material?
• How long will it take them to complete the work once they begin?
• Do they have a showroom where you can evaluate different samples of materials and finishes? If not, can they bring such samples to you?
• What are the manufacturer warranties on the new garage door or the garage door opener?
• Do they provide a written warranty for their labor, aside from manufacturer warranties?
• Will they check the local zoning ordinances to make sure the new garage door conforms to code?
• Will permits be needed? If so, will the contractors be responsible for getting them or do they leave that up to you?
• Can the company vouch that all employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? (All garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Will they show you proof of active workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All garage door companies in Grand Rapids MI bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do they use only their own employees, or do they hire subcontractors, and if so, what are the names of those companies?
When you've chosen the best garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed with the state of Michigan if the garage door is residential, since that's required by law. (All garage door contractors in Grand Rapids MI bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About Garage Doors in Grand Rapids MI
Associations & Licensing for Garage Doors in Grand Rapids MI
AAADM American Association of Automatic Door Manufacturers www.aaadm.com
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
DASMA Door and Access Systems Manufacturers Association www.dasma.com
IDA International Door Association www.doors.org
Media & Web Resources Relevant to Garage Door Companies in Grand Rapids MI
Access Control Magazine www.sdmmag.com
International Door & Operator Magazine www.idoimag.com
Window and Door Magazine www./windowanddoor.com/advertise-window-and-door-magazine
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Garage Door Contractors in Grand Rapids MI within the following zip codes:
49504, 49510, 49341, 49519, 49503, 49548, 49509, 49331, 49518, 49502, 49546, 49508, 49330, 49516, 49501, 49544, 49507, 49326, 49515, 49468, 49534, 49506, 49514, 49418, 49525, 49505, 49512, 49345, 49523, 49318, 48418, 49316, 49315, 49306, 49302, 49321, 49301, 49319 and 48436
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Garage Doors in Grand Rapids MI within the following cities:
Caledonia, Cedar Springs, Comstock Park, East Grand Rapids, Forest Hills, Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kent City, Kentwood, Northview, Rockford, Walker, Wyoming, Ada, Algoma, Alpine, Bowne, Byron, Cannon, Cascade, Courtland, Gaines, Grattan, Lowell, Nelson, Oakfield, Plainfield, Solon, Sparta, Spencer, Tyrone, Vergennes and Cutlerville