The Best Painting Companies in Madera County CA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Painting contractors in Madera County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol are the painters that have exceeded the minimum California regulatory standard. They are the ones proven by our independent research to have passed the Top Ten requirements for value and reliability, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who use only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as house painters or commercial painters in Madera County CA.
Updated August 16, 2019
The Best Painting Companies in Madera County CA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of California requires both commercial and house painters in Madera County CA be licensed as painting contractors by the state such as with the C33 license specifically for painting companies.
But the state license is no guarantee that any particular painting company in Madera County CA is doing business ethically, providing real value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all painting contractors in Madera County CA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified license, liability insurance, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Things To Look For with Painters in Madera County CA
Preparation Work Should Be Done By The Painter
Preparing the surface that's to be painted (prep work) is critical because a poorly prepared surface won't hold paint properly no matter how good the paint is or how well it's applied. The best painting companies in Madera County CA will do thorough prep work.
Preparing the surface can include pressure washing, possibly with a product that kills fungus and mildew, hand scraping surfaces, sanding, filling holes with caulk or epoxy filler, treating rusty nails, and removing wood rot. And prep work is labor time so the cheap painters in Madera County CA often promote cut-rate pricing because unknown to you, they're not preparing the surface like they should, and this can mean the paint begins to flake and chip within months, or comes off the next time your home or building is power washed.
Price quotes from painting companies in Madera County can differ and one reason might be the paint they're planning to use because paint costs can vary widely from $12 to $45 per gallon. And it's not just about the brand. Every brand, even the best ones, have starter grades that aren't meant to last as long. In fact, the starter grade of a high quality brand will not perform as well as a higher grade paint within a less expensive brand. These cheap paints can fade noticeably in as little as a few months.
The best painting companies in Madera County will specify in writing the
3) Product number
Getting that information allows you to see why price quotes might differ. Also, some painting contractors water down the paint in order to use less of it. It's another way that cheap painters in Madera County can appear like a bargain when they really aren't. So make sure the written bid includes the number of gallons to be used, and if it seems low compared to someone else, be sure to ask why.
The type of paint to be used also influences price quotes. Flat finish paints may be water based, where semi-gloss can be oil-based or latex-based paints. Oil-based is considered more durable so the job will last longer but latex will hold its sheen better. If you have a preference, make sure the painting company has experience with it, since some new painters have never worked with oil-based paints.
Many painting companies in Madera County CA have experience working with organic paints, no-VOC and low-VOC paints (Volatile Organic Compounds). These options can cost a little more but some consumers prefer these paints as more environmentally friendly, or better for interior painting since they can have less of a smell with less off-gassing of chemical components. Other options include elastomeric paint, which boasts increased durability and flexibility, and water repellent finishes, which last longer in outdoor environments.
Many painting companies in Madera County CA use only brushes and rollers, insisting that this traditional method means a longer lasting paint job because the paint adheres to the surface more completely, and allows for better detail work.
Other painting companies use airless sprayers, a modern method that can cut the time it takes to paint. Some painting contractors might use a combination, starting with airless sprayers and then going over it with brushes and rollers.
Experienced painters in Madera County CA will have seen different designs and color combinations over hundreds of previous painting jobs that they can share with you. They may also know what color combinations are among the latest trends in painting. Some painting companies in Madera County provide virtual computer color consultation so you can really see the potential result of your choices. These devices have virtually eliminated the guesswork involved in optimizing your new color scheme.
If you have custom colors done, ask the painting contractors to provide you with a custom color card with actual samples of the paint that was used as a record for the future, including what brand and the exact mix formula. Then if you need touch ups in the future, you'll know the exact match for your existing paint.
The owner of the painting company might claim years of industry experience, but what about the crew who will actually be doing the painting? The best painting companies use experienced, long-term employees and journeyman painters who know how to apply paint in a way that lasts for many years. Cheap painting companies often hire day laborers off the street with dubious levels of experience and whom the painting contractor doesn't even really know.
Faux Painting in Madera County CA (Including Faux Finishing / Decorative Painting in Madera County CA)
Faux painting or faux finishing are terms used for a wide variety of decorative painting techniques. Sometimes the intent is for the painted surface to look like some other material such as marble (faux marble) or wood grain (faux wood). Decorative painters in Madera County CA are also who to call if you're looking for muralists (mural painters). These faux painters in Madera County CA can paint scenic murals, or ones that create an optical illusion (trompe l'oeil) such as painting the illusion of three-dimensional depth on that flat wall or ceiling.
Some painting contractors do offer faux painting services or decorative painting services in addition to their house painting. A company that is decorative painting or faux finish painting only, need not be a full service painting contractor. However, all decorative painters in Madera County CA recommended by The Prime Buyer's Report still needed to show our research staff proof of general liability insurance, and if they have employees, proof of worker's comp insurance as protection for you.
Faux painting is more than just faux finishes and decorative finishes. Decorative painters in Madera County CA can create texturing effects too. Sponge painting (or ‘sponging') is one commonly used method of adding texture to fresh paint.
The cost of faux finishing & decorative painters in Madera County CA varies greatly depending on the skill and experience of the faux painters, the type of faux finish desired and on the complexity of decorative painting effects. Many good decorative painters in Madera County will want to see the space to get decorative painting treatment, in order to give you a detailed estimate for the faux finishing or decorative painting you desire.
Some Painters in Madera County Are A Much Better Value Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these painters in Madera County CA: . Other painting contractors in Madera County CA who might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask Painters in Madera County CA Before Hiring
When it comes to hiring local painting contractors in Madera County CA, ask the following questions about their methods and experience before hiring:
• How long have the painting companies been doing business as interior or exterior painters in Madera County?
• How many other jobs have the painting contractors completed in Madera County specifically? (This is key because different places have varied sunlight exposure and moisture, which can determine choices in paint types, amounts, or application methods and experience in your area specifically means they might be familiar with these variations and how to adjust for them.)
• Will the Madera County painters give you names and numbers of previous customers you can call for references? (All painting contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How much experience do the Madera County painting services have in the same kind of project as yours, such as same size of job, interiors versus exterior painting, residential versus commercial painting?
• Will the local painting contractors give a written cost estimate which fully details the exact paint brand, paint grade within that brand, number of gallons and number of coats you will be getting, letting you to make true comparisons among estimates? For the same purpose, will it detail how many labor hours of surface prep will be done before painting and what tasks that includes, such as filling small holes, removing rot, sanding, etc.?
• What paint application method will the Madera County painters be using: brushers and rollers or sprayers, and why?
• If the existing paint contains lead, are the painting contractors EPA Lead Safe Certified to remove the old paint and will they be following the legal protocols to guarantee safety and avoid causing you liability?
• Do they give a written guarantee on their work, (aside from any manufacturer guarantees) and if so, what does it cover and for how long?
• Do they do all of the work with their employees or do they hire subcontractors or anything? If so, what are the names of those subcontractors so you can research them?
• How long should it take to finish the painting once they begin?
• Can they show you that all employees sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All painting companies bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Are there things you need to do before the painters start (moving furniture, covering valuables, patching nail holes, etc.), or will they do all of that?
• Will you have access to your space while they are working?
• How often and when do they clean up the job site?
• Is the person you're dealing with before signing the contract (and who might be making you promises) the same person performing or overseeing the project, or will the job be handed off to another person and if so, who?
• Will the written contract detail the number of coats, the number of hours to be spent doing surface preparation, the amount of paint to be used, the brand, the grade, and the product number?
• Will they provide you proof of active workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All painting companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
When you've identified the best painters in Madera County CA for your own needs, verify they have a state license. (All painting contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About Painting Companies in Madera County CA
Trade Organizations Related to Painting in Madera County CA
American Coatings Association www.paint.org
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
CSLB Contractors State Licensing Board www.cslb.ca.gov
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs www.dca.ca.gov
FCA Finishing Contractors Association www.finishingcontractors.org
MPDA Master Painters and Decorators Association www.mpda.net
MPI Master Painters Institute www.mpi.net
NAPP National Alliance of Professional Painters www.thenapp.com
NPCA National Paint and Coatings Association www.paint.org
PDCA Painting and Decorating Contractors of America www.pdca.org
IDAL International Decorative Artisans League www.decorativeartisans.org
SDP Society of Decorative Painters www.decorativepainters.org
Media & Web Resources Relevant to Painting Companies in Madera County CA
The Faux Finisher Magazine
Painting and Wallcovering Magazine
Faux Effects World Magazine
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Painting Contractors in Madera County CA within the following zip codes:
95306, 93638, 93637, 93636, 93626, 93669, 93614, 93653, 93610, 93644, 93604, 93643, 93601 and 93639
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Painting Companies in Madera County CA within the following cities:
Ahwahnee, Bonadelle Ranchos-Madera Ranchos, Chowchilla, Coarsegold, Fairmead, Madera Acres, Madera, Oakhurst, Parksdale, Parkwood and Yosemite Lakes