The Best Movers in Manhattan NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Movers in Manhattan NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol are those moving companies that have exceeded the minimum New York state regulatory standard.
They are those proven by our independent research to have passed the Top Ten requirements for reliability and value, carry liability insurance as protection for customers, hire only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as movers and storage facility providers in Manhattan NY.
Read on for more information about finding and vetting good movers and storage facilities, including interstate movers, intrastate movers, corporate movers, office movers, in-state movers, residential moving companies, and storage services.
Updated February 06, 2019
The Best Movers in Manhattan NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of New York requires that intrastate movers in Manhattan NY be licensed with the New York Commissioner of Transportation. Storage facilities in Manhattan NY have no such license requirement.
But even the New York state license for movers is no guarantee that any particular moving company in Manhattan NY is doing business ethically, providing real value, and satisfying customers.
This makes it significant that all moving companies in Manhattan NY that bear The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten status, involving survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, verified state license, good complaint record, verified liability and workers' comp insurance for customer protection, hiring only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
It is all too common for unethical movers to increase the price drastically from their original estimate once the property is on their truck and held hostage until they receive payment.
Many moving price disputes can be avoided in many cases by doing the following:
- Asking for all charges that might apply beyond simply the hourly rate such as possible fees for stairs, "long carries" (a longer than normal distance from the truck to the actual premises) and packing materials.
- Asking what kind of packing materials are used and in what amount. Unethical movers will use an unnecessary amount of plastic wrap, or cardboard "protection" wrapped around your items and then charge an exorbitant amount for them. Legitimate movers will not wrap your furniture in cardboard for which they charge you, but instead will use moving blankets which cost you nothing since they get reused.
- Giving movers a complete inventory in writing of all your items, including number of boxes and the sizes of those boxes. The moving quote you get from that will be more accurate than a moving company's ballpark estimate based merely on a number of rooms. Even better is to have the moving company make a preliminary visit to your premises and take their own inventory in order to derive a quote.
Storage Companies and Movers in Manhattan NY Perform Numerous Services
Whether you're moving around the corner or overseas, using a moving company or storage company to haul your belongings is much easier than doing it yourself. Good movers and moving companies can give you a preliminary consultation for free and personalize a moving management system to move entire offices, corporations, residences, trade shows, and exhibits. Offered moving distances range anywhere from local, to interstate to international.
If you suddenly find yourself under severe time constraints, many local movers and packers can accommodate last minute moves. If you have particularly fragile items, such as pianos, art, electronics, or antiques, some movers are capable of taking the necessary precautions to move them safely. If you're planning to relocate, nearly some moving companies in NY NY can pack and ship your belongings for you.
Quite a few moving companies also offer the option of temporary storage or self-storage. If you're unable to find a replacement dwelling immediately after the sale of your property or the termination of your lease, you can take advantage of these storage services. Local movers and storage facilities can safely stow household goods, commercial goods, and furniture for short-term storage or long-term storage.
Some moving companies can store particularly valuable items in climate-controlled vaults that are monitored 24 hours a day by security personnel. Some moving and storage companies in Manhattan NY can store important records, for which they have a bar-coded system of management. And some moving and storage companies offer the amazingly convenient option of mobile modular storage or portable storage. If you use this service, professionally trained movers will provide a warehouse crate to store your belongings, haul the crate to a storage facility, and actually deliver it to your door when you require it.
So if you're worried about adding unnecessary hassle to your already stressful move, don't be. Using a moving and storage company will save time and energy and, perhaps more importantly, your back.
Movers in Manhattan NY Can Supply Needed Packing Materials
One of the perks of hiring someone to conduct your move is the freedom from packing. Some movers in Manhattan NY also provide packing services, so they supply all needed moving supplies and storage materials and secure your belongings for you.
Instead of squishing overfilled, aging boxes in the bed of a truck, good household movers will wrap pack and seal your valuables, pad them with bubble wrap, foam, or packing paper, and safely load them into sanitized, temperature regulated moving trucks.
They guard frames and art with edge protectors, neatly pack clothes into wardrobe boxes, and stow mirrors and other flat glass in mirror packs. Movers can keep your mattress clean with mattress covers and prevent in-transit damage with moving blankets and padding. In some instances you can use the provided packing materials to box up your belongings yourself, but professional movers are required to take great care. It's usually worth your while to take advantage of all of the moving services they offer.
Senior Movers in Manhattan NY
Some companies specialize as senior movers in Manhattan (moving for seniors) or senior relocation services in Manhattan NY which do more than simply move for the seniors but possibly also come up with downsizing plans, dispose of unwanted items through auction, estate sale, or consignment, packing and unpacking services, and preparation of the home to be sold.
Such moving for seniors and senior citizens in Manhattan NY are sometimes known as senior move management services and they even have an industry association known as the NASMM (National Association of Senior Move Managers).
Some Moving and Storage Companies in Manhattan NY Are Better Than Others
Even when the owner of a moving company in Manhattan NY has years of experience, the workers sent to do your moving might have little to none, and widely different levels of training and varying ethical and professional standards they're being held to by their employer.
And many moving companies have expertise such as moving for offices versus moving a home, moving in-state with smaller trucks and simpler coordination, versus moving interstate with large trucks, (possibly more than one loading of your goods) and greater logistical complexity in timing out-of-state delivery to suit your needs.
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these storage and moving companies in Manhattan: .
Other self-storage centers and movers in Manhattan NY that might still be in business include: .
Ask These Questions of Movers in Manhattan NY
Step 1: Describe Your Plan to the Movers in Manhattan NY
When you call different moving companies, explain the details of your move. Do you need international moving services or local moving services? Report the type and size of the dwelling and mention any items that will need special care. Also, give the departing and destination addresses and the dates you wish to be moved. Also, decide if you require full service movers or moving companies who will both pack and move your belongings.
If you plan on storing any items, specify the amount of items to be stored and the projected length of time you will need to store them. Decide if you need special kinds of storage, such as self-storage, storage containers, climate controlled storage, storage units, mini storage or portable storage.
From this information, moving company representatives and movers can calculate an estimate, which may or may not be binding. Binding estimates generally expire after 60 days (on average), so ask the moving companies in Manhattan NY about their terms ahead of time.
Step 2: Ask the Movers and Storage Companies Questions & Take Notes
You'll need to know some things about moving companies or storage facilities before you use their services. The sample questions below address several items of concern.
• How long have the moving companies and storage facilities been in business? (All moving companies in Manhattan NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have had sufficient time in business verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Are the movers or storage companies' estimates binding? If so, how long are they guaranteed?
• What items are not allowed to be transported?
• Will they give yoiu names and phone numbers of previous customers you can call as references. (All moving companies in Manhattan NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have had their previous customers called by our research staff verifying high customer satisfaction so you don't have to.)
• What is your available recourse and who do you contact if household goods are damaged or lost during the moving process or time in storage?
• Will the movers in Manhattan reassemble any items that were taken apart for the move?
• Will they show you proof that all workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All moving companies in Manhattan NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed a written pledge to only hire legally documented workers.)
• How do the moving companies and storage facilities price their moving and storage services?
• What are the movers' and storage companies' billing procedures?
• How much advance notice should you give the moving companies if you need to ship something?
• Do the local moving companies in Manhattan and your area of Manhattan offer shipment tracking?
• How long will it take the moving company to pack and move your belongings?
• Do the Manhattan movers and storage facilities carry workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All moving companies in Manhattan NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have had liability and workers comp insurance verified by our research staff.)
• Do the movers offer temporary or long term storage?
• Do the storage companies offer self storage, mini storage, portable storage or moving storage space?
• How will the movers and storage facilities protect your household goods from damage and dirt?
• Will they guarantee in writing the price quoted will not be exceeded, similarly that they use moving blankets to protect your goods and not extraneous packing materials to drive up excessive charges?
• Will they show you proof of their New York state license as movers, which is required by law. (All moving companies in Manhattan NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Once you've chosen the best movers in Manhattan NY for your specific needs, make they have a good complaint record. (All moving companies in Manhattan NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their good complaint record verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Tips For Dealing With Movers in Manhattan NY
The following are tips for dealing with intrastate movers in Manhattan NY.
- Make sure the movers are licensed by the New York state Commissioner of Transportation. For verification call (518) 457-6512, or e-mail email@example.com. When checking on a mover provide their exact name, and if available, NYDOT number.
- Get a more accurate estimate from the movers by having them do a physical inspection of your home and goods.
- Insist the mover provide you with a Summary of Information booklet, which describes your rights as a shipper.
- Before anything is moved, make sure the Manhattan mover has given you an Order for Service with a dollar amount of how much you will have to pay at delivery in order for the moving contractor to deliver all of you goods. This is the price for moving you should expect to pay, not the verbal or even written estimate amount.
- Read everything that you sign, and make sure to keep a copy of each document.
- Make an inventory of all your household goods and include the number of boxes and condition of your furniture.
- Make sure you understand the liability of the mover. Have the mover explain his or her liability and how you can purchase additional coverage.
- Schedule your departure and arrival with enough flexibility to allow for possible delays.
- Advise the mover of telephone numbers and/or addresses where you can be reached en route, or at destination.
- File a written claim with the mover for loss and/or damage.
- Don't believe that any verbal or written estimate given by a local mover in Manhattan will be the actual cost of your move. The actual price of the move to which they are obligated is the cost which appears in the written Order for Service.
- Don't expect the mover to provide free packing supplies such as boxes, cartons and barrels. Should you hire the Manhattan mover to provide packing services, then bubble wrap, tape, and similar packing materials are considered tools of the trade and are included in the packing fee.
- Don't expect the mover to provide services free of charge, such as clean-up services, disconnection and reinstallation of appliances, fixtures.
- Make arrangements to have at the time of delivery, in cash or certified check, the amount shown on the Order for Service.
- Don't sign anything that you haven't read first and then been given your copy of the document.
Research on Moving Companies in Manhattan NY
Associations & Licensing For Movers and Storage in Manhattan NY
AMSA American Moving and Storage Association www.moving.org
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
FMSCA Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration www.fmcsa.dot.gov
HGFAA Household Goods Forwarders Association of America www.hhgfaa.org
IOMA International Office Moving Institute www.officemoves.com
New York State Department of Transportation www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/osss/truck/moving
New York State Movers & Warehouseman's Association www.newyorkstatemovers.com
NAMA North American Movers Association www.namovers.com
SAFER Safety and Electronics Record System www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov
Trucking Association of New York www.nytrucks.org
US DOT United States Department of Transportation www.dot.gov
Media & Web Publications Relevant To Storage Facilities and Professional Movers in Manhattan NY
Homes and Land Magazine
If you are looking for storage space for temporary storage or full service moving and long term storage or self storage, The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten local moving companies and storage companies in Manhattan NY within the following zip codes:
10004, 10013, 10022, 10030, 10038, 10075, 10111, 10122, 10155, 10169, 10177, 10280, 10003, 10012, 10021, 10029, 10037, 10069, 10110, 10121, 10154, 10168, 10176, 10279, 10002, 10011, 10020, 10028, 10036, 10065, 10107, 10120, 10153, 10167, 10175, 10278, 10001, 10010, 10019, 10027, 10035, 10055, 10106, 10119, 10152, 10166, 10174, 10271, 10009, 10018, 10026, 10034, 10044, 10105, 10118, 10151, 10165, 10173, 10270, 10007, 10017, 10025, 10033, 10041, 10104, 10116, 10150, 10163, 10172, 10199, 10285, 10006, 10016, 10024, 10032, 10040, 10103, 10113, 10128, 10162, 10171, 10185, 10282, 10005, 10014, 10023, 10031, 10039, 10080, 10112, 10123, 10158, 10170, 10178 and 10281
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten professional movers and local storage companies in Manhattan NY within the following cities:
Uptown Manhattan, Downtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, West Side, East Side, Inwood, Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, Manhattanville, Morningside Heights, Harlem, East Harlem, Upper East Side, Lenox Hill, Yorkville, Upper West Side, Manhattan Valley, Turtle Bay, Midtown West, Hell's Kitchen, Murray Hill, Kips Bay, Gashouse District, Peter Cooper Village, Chelsea, Flatiron District, Gramercy Park, Stuyvesant Town, Union Square, Waterside Plaza, Alphabet City, East Village, Greenwich Village, NoHo, West Village, Lower East Side, SoHo, Nolita, Little Italy, Chinatown, Cooperative Village, Two Bridges, TriBeCa, Civic Center, Battery Park City, Bellevue, Hamilton Grange, Wall Street and Roosevelt Island