The Best Remodelers in Manhattan NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Remodeling contractors in Manhattan bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are ones who have met a higher standard than the New York City minimum standard. They are those proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who have agreed to hire only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as home remodelers, addition builders, commercial remodeling contractors or for home repairs in Manhattan NY, including historic preservation contractors, historic building renovating, apartment building lobby remodeling, ADA compliance (handicap access remodeling), retail remodeling contractors such as store remodelers, restaurant remodelers, and exterior remodelers.
Updated September 19, 2019
New York, NY 10001
New York, NY 10002
New York, NY 10028
New York, NY 10031
New York, NY 10128
The Best Remodelers in Manhattan NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
New York state does not require any state license of remodeling contractors in Manhattan so there is no state standard for competency. New York City requires residential remodeling contractors in Manhattan to have a New York City Home Improvement Contractor license, which requires passing an exam with 21 correct answers out of 30, though the exam is not one for trade skill or knowledge. Commercial remodeling contractors require no such license, including those performing historic building preservation and renovation, ADA compliance (handicap access remodelers and retrofitting), retail store remodelers, or restaurant remodelers.
So even the NYC license for home improvement companies is no guarantee that any particular remodeling contractor in Manhattan is competent, doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all commercial or home remodelers in Manhattan who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified city license (residential remodelers only), proof of liability insurance for your protection, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Signs of the Best Remodelers in Manhattan:
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE WITH REMODELS
A remodeling project, whether home improvement or commercial remodeling, is often more complex than building from scratch. First, the remodeling contractor has to work within the limitations or peculiarities of the existing structure. Second, it's common for surprises to come up during the remodel, because some things can't be known until walls or ceilings are opened, floors taken up, etc. exposing hidden factors. The best remodeling contractors in Manhattan NY are those with the experience to forsee these possibilities and the honesty to explain them to you at the outset, particularly, how it can affect the final cost of the remodel.
Respect and consideration for the customer are also hallmarks of good remodeling contractors since remodels often require work done while the customer is working or living in the space. For this reason, communicating their expected work schedule to you all along the way, keeping to it, or giving you notice on occasions where they can't, are all characteristics of the best remodeling contractors. Some remodelers in Manhattan will even bring portable toilets for the use of the crew to avoid their use of your washroom (or your bushes). A customer living on site during a home remodeling proejct should expect some inconvience during the project, but again, respectful remodeling contractors will keep the potential inconvience to the minimum possible.
Attention to keeping the work site as neat as possible throughout, and cleaning thoroughly at the end of each day, like vacuuming dust and putting materials away, are behaviors that set some remodeling contractors far above the rest and result in much higher customer satisfaction with the finished project.
Home remodelers should know their crew well and be able to vouch for them as trustworthy especially when that crew has access to your home or family.
Of course attention to detail is important for quality work, but detail is critical right from the beginning with the cost proposal they prepare for you. Such a bid should detail the exact brands, fixtures, types of materials and amounts of each. If not, the bid might be quoting only the cheapest options so that later when you find out once the project is underway and you request better substitutions, the cost goes up. So good remodelers will go over those options with you before submitting a written proposal, and include your specific choices, and their costs, in the written bid.
Home Remodelers in Manhattan NY Add Value
Remodeling contractors in Manhattan perform many aspects of home repair or specialized home remodeling. A straightforward way to add value to your home is to remodel areas where dated technology and style are most glaring.
Not only are home improvement companies in Manhattan NY able to make an existing space appear larger, they can also create space by shifting square footage to one room from another or by doing a home addition. Finishing a basement is a great way to get extra living space without a home addition, or perhaps a wine cellar.
Other home remodeling contractors specialize in just certain aspects of home improvement like carports and patio covers, sunrooms and screen rooms in Manhattan. But even contractors building patio covers or sun rooms in Manhattan must be state-registered contractors.
Whether it's a big family room with a new fireplace or a new guest room, office, granny unit, garage, sunroom, patio cover, patio enclosure, screen room, carport, wine cellar, second story addition, or even a complete reconstruction of an older house, use the above list of home remodeling companies in Manhattan proven through independent research as safer, more reliable, and who provide more value.
Added Value From Basement Finishing by Basement Remodelers in Manhattan NY
Many homeowners have gotten additional value and a higher quality of life from their home with basement finishing in Manhattan NY done by experienced basement remodeling contractors. It's an immediate increase in living space often for less cost than a home addition. But the basement remodelers in Manhattan NY must be experienced with the specifics to basement finishing, such as moisture control, checking floor joists, proper and safe ventilation, and what it will take to get a basement remodeling project to conform to local building codes for a space that is often starts as non-conforming. The best basement remodeling contractors in Manhattan NY will be able to show you previous finished basement remodeling projects.
Commercial Remodeling Contractors in Manhattan Must Be Experienced
The experience and skill set needed as home remodeling contractors is very different from commercial remodelers in Manhattan to perform as store remodeling contractors and other retail remodelers, restaurant remodeling, multi-residential remodeling contractors, or other large commercial remodeling projects which require managing more personnel and needing greater financial resources, as well as better understanding the particulars as commercial remodelers in Manhattan and New York City.
Increased Popularity of Patio Enclosures, Sunrooms & Patio Covers in Manhattan NY
Changes to more comfortably enjoy your outdoor space or to bring facets of the outdoors to an inside space are increasing in popularity. Patio cover companies and sunroom contractors in Manhattan are frequent choice.
A sunroom, sun lounge, sun porch or sun parlor is a portion of the home provding enjoyment of the sun and the view while avoiding adverse weather such as wind and rain. They also go by the terms patio room, solarium, conservatory, patio enclosure or Florida room. Some are designed with the view as the priority, others are intended to collect sunlight for light and warmth.
Patio enclosures and patio covers are another option. Patio cover companies build a roof with supports to cover a patio. Patio covers provide protection from rain and shade. If such an area is also surrounded by screens, it may be referred to as a screen room.
Some Remodeling Contractors in Manhattan NY Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these residential and commercial remodeling contractors in Manhattan: KJ Remodeling of NY Corp New York NY, Pinnacle Home Improvement New York NY, New York Remodeling Solutions New York NY, GDC Home Improvement New York NY, RB Home Improvements New York NY, Abbey's Kitchens Baths & Interiors LLC Short Hills NJ, Four Star Construction & General Contractors LLC Woodcliff Lake NJ. Other home remodeling contractors in Manhattan NY that might still be in business include: Genco Lee Renovation Inc New York NY, XL Renovations Inc New York NY, Five Points Remodeling LLC New York NY, Knockout Renovation Service Inc New York NY.
Questions to Ask Remodelers in Manhattan
When hiring residential or commercial remodelers in Manhattan NY, ask these questions about their abilities, experience, and methods:
• How long have they been doing business specifically as remodeling contractors in Manhattan NY?
• Will they show you examples of remodels they've completed that are similar to what you want done?
• Will the remodeling contractors give you names and numbers of previous clients you can call as references? (All remodeling contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customers references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do they have experience with the exact kind of remodeling you want? The expertise needed as interior residential remodelers is very different from that necessary for retail remodeling contractors, restaurant remodelers, or multi-unit residential remodeling.
• In the case of retail remodeling such as store remodeling or restaurant remodeling or even even multi-unit residential remodeling, how many other projects have they done in any of the boroughs of New York City that are the same scope, size, and complexity? What was the outcome of each, and how did the final cost compare to the original budget, and how did the actual completion date compare to the original due date?
• Will they give a written bid with complete detail on the exact fixtures, items, and brands including product numbers, types of material and amount of material to be used? (This is critical because cheap remodeling contractors often only appear lower cost because they intentionally quote for only the lowest cost items, knowing that later you will probably want upgrades once you see them, which will the make the final cost much higher than their unrealistically low cost estimate.)
• Can they forsee any aspects that are unknown until the project is underway, such as what's under floors, inside ceilings, behind walls, that could change the cost of the project, and by how much specifically in each case? (Some home remodelers only seem cheap because they don't tell you about these possible unknowns, either due to lack of experience to anticipate them, or purposely to look like the low bidder in order to get your business).
• Is the individual who is doing the estimate (and making promises to you) the same one who will be doing the remodeling or overseeing the project? Or instead, will you be handed off to a different person in the company and if so, who?
• Will the remodeler give you a written contract to sign?
• How soon after the contract is signed will they begin?
• What is the project timeframe from contract signing to completion?
• Once the remodeling starts, will they be there every day until done , or is it possible they will be absent for days at a time to do work for other customers? If so, will this alter the estimated completion date?
• Can they prove to you that all their employees are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All remodelers in Manhattan bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Will they give any written guarantees on their workmanship besides manufacturers warranties on products used, and if so, for what time period and what in included?
• Is a permit required by your city for the remodeling you intend? If so, will the remodeling be getting those permits or do they leave that up to you?
• Will they be using only actual employees of their company, or instead do they bring in subcontractors? If so, what are the names of those subcontractors so you can research those?
• If they do use subcontractors, will you pay those subcontractors directly, or does the remodeling contractor do that? If the remodeling company, will they collect and give you a lien release from each subcontractor as assurance for you that those subcontractors will not file a lien on your property for any claims against the remodeler, such as if they are not paid on time?
• If you will be using the space while it is being remodeled, such as living in your house during a home remodel, how often and when do they clean up throughout the project?
• What methods or equipment do they use to keep the remodeling as clean as possible while you're using the space, for example air filters, dust barriers etc?
• How often will they communicate to you their expected schedule and by what method?
• Will they show you copies of their liability insurance and workers' compensation insurance? (All remodelers in Manhattan NY bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
When you've chosen the best remodeling contractors in Manhattan NY for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed by New York City as Home Improvement Contractors if the project is residential remodeling. Commercial remodeling contractors in Manhattan need no such license. (All home remodeling companies in Manhattan NY bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their NYC Home Improvement Contractor license verified (only if residential), by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About Remodeling Contractors Manhattan
The following is a list of regulatory agencies, publications, and trade associations related to residential or commercial remodeling contractors in Manhattan NY
ASA American Subcontractors Association www.assaonline.com
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
CAGNY Contractors' Association of Greater New York www.cagnyonline.com
NARI National Association of the Remodeling Industry www.nari.org
NARI NYC National Association of the Remodeling Industry New York City www.nari-ny.org
Retail Contractors Association www.retailcontractors.org
BRANNY Remodelers Association of New York www.branny.org
Media & Web Resources Relevant To Remodelers in Manhattan NY
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
New Old House
Old House Journal
This Old House
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Remodeling Contractors in Manhattan NY within the following zip codes:
10009, 10018, 10026, 10034, 10044, 10105, 10118, 10151, 10165, 10173, 10270, 10007, 10017, 10025, 10033, 10041, 10104, 10116, 10150, 10163, 10172, 10199, 10285, 10006, 10016, 10024, 10032, 10040, 10103, 10113, 10128, 10162, 10171, 10185, 10282, 10005, 10014, 10023, 10031, 10039, 10080, 10112, 10123, 10158, 10170, 10178, 10281, 10004, 10013, 10022, 10030, 10038, 10075, 10111, 10122, 10155, 10169, 10177, 10280, 10003, 10012, 10021, 10029, 10037, 10069, 10110, 10121, 10154, 10168, 10176, 10279, 10002, 10011, 10020, 10028, 10036, 10065, 10107, 10120, 10153, 10167, 10175, 10278, 10001, 10010, 10019, 10027, 10035, 10055, 10106, 10119, 10152, 10166, 10174 and 10271
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Remodelers in Manhattan NY within the following cities or neighborhoods:
Uptown Manhattan, Downtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, West Side, East Side, Inwood, Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, Manhattanville, Morningside Heights, Harlem, East Harlem, Upper East Side, Lenox Hill, Yorkville, Upper West Side, Manhattan Valley, Turtle Bay, Midtown West, Hell's Kitchen, Murray Hill, Kips Bay, Gashouse District, Peter Cooper Village, Chelsea, Flatiron District, Gramercy Park, Stuyvesant Town, Union Square, Waterside Plaza, Alphabet City, East Village, Greenwich Village, NoHo, West Village, Lower East Side, SoHo, Nolita, Little Italy, Chinatown, Cooperative Village, Two Bridges, TriBeCa, Civic Center, Battery Park City, Bellevue, Hamilton Grange, Wall Street and Roosevelt Island