The Best Painting Companies in Middlesex County NJ Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Painting contractors in Middlesex County NJ bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the painters that have exceeded the minimum New Jersey regulatory standard. They are the ones proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for value and reliability, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who use only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as house painters or commercial painters in Middlesex County NJ.
Updated November 04, 2016
The Best Painting Companies in Middlesex County NJ Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of New Jersey requires only that painting contractors in Middlesex County NJ be registered with the state in order to do residential painting, for which there is no test or exam required.
So the state registration for house painters is no indication that any particular painting company in Middlesex County NJ is even competenent, is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all house painters and commercial painters in Middlesex County NJ who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified state registration, worker's comp and liability insurance, only employees legal to work in the U.S., sufficient time in business, best business practices, and more.
Things To Look For with Painters in Middlesex County NJ
Preparation Work Should Be Done By The Painter
Preparing the surface that's to be painted (prep work) is critical because a poorly prepared surface won't hold paint properly no matter how good the paint is or how well it's applied. The best painting companies in Middlesex County NJ will do thorough prep work. Preparing the surface can include pressure washing, possibly with a product that kills fungus and mildew, hand scraping surfaces, sanding, filling holes with caulk or epoxy filler, treating rusty nails, and removing wood rot. And prep work is labor time so the cheap painters in Middlesex County NJ often promote cut-rate pricing because unknown to you, they're not preparing the surface like they should, and this can mean the paint begins to flake and chip within months, or comes off the next time your home or building is power washed.
Price quotes from painting companies in Middlesex County can differ and one reason might be the paint they're planning to use because paint costs can vary widely from $12 to $45 per gallon. And it's not just about the brand. Every brand, even the best ones, have starter grades that aren't meant to last as long. In fact, the starter grade of a high quality brand will not perform as well as a higher grade paint within a less expensive brand. These cheap paints can fade noticably in as little as a few months.
The best painting companies in Middlesex County will specify in writing the
3) Product number
Getting that information allows you to see why price quotes might differ. Also, some painting contractors water down the paint in order to use less of it. It's another way that cheap painters in Middlesex County can appear like a bargain when they really aren't. So make sure the written bid includes the number of gallons to be used, and if it seems low compared to someone else, be sure to ask why.
The type of paint to be used also influences price quotes. Flat finish paints may be water based, where semi-gloss can be oil-based or latex-based paints. Oil-based is considered more durable so the job will last longer but latex will hold its sheen better. If you have a preference, make sure the painting company has experience with it, since some new painters have never worked with oil-based paints. Many painting companies in Middlesex County CA have experience working with organic paints, no-VOC and low-VOC paints (Volatile Organic Compounds). These options can cost a little more but some consumers prefer these paints as more environmentally friendly, or better for interior painting since they can have less of a smell with less off-gassing of chemical components. Other options include elastomeric paint, which boasts increased durability and flexibility, and water repellent finishes, which last longer in outdoor environments.
Many painting companies in Middlesex County NJ use only brushes and rollers, insisting that this traditional method means a longer lasting paint job because the paint adheres to the surface more completely, and allows for better detail work. Other painting companies use airless sprayers, a modern method that can cut the time it takes to paint. Some painting contractors might use a combination, starting with airless sprayers and then going over it with brushes and rollers.
Experienced painters in Middlesex County NJ will have seen different designs and color combinations over hundreds of previous painting jobs that they can share with you. They may also know what color combinations are among the latest trends in painting. Some painting companies in Middlesex County provide virtual computer color consultation so you can really see the potential result of your choices. These devices have virtually eliminated the guesswork involved in optimizing your new color scheme.
If you have custom colors done, ask the painting contractors to provide you with a custom color card with actual samples of the paint that was used as a record for the future, including what brand and the exact mix formula. Then if you need touch ups in the future, you'll know the exact match for your existing paint.
The owner of the painting company might claim years of industry experience, but what about the crew who will actually be doing the painting? The best painting companies use experienced, long-term employees and journeyman painters who know how to apply paint in a way that lasts for many years. Cheap painting companies often hire day laborers off the street with dubious levels of experience and whom the painting contractor doesn't even really know.
Faux Painting in Middlesex County NJ (Including Faux Finishing / Decorative Painting in Middlesex County NJ)
Faux painting or faux finishing are terms used for a wide variety of decorative painting techniques. Sometimes the intent is for the painted surface to look like some other material such as marble (faux marble) or wood grain (faux wood). Decorative painters in Middlesex County NJ are also who to call if you're looking for muralists (mural painters). These faux painters in Middlesex County NJ can paint scenic murals, or ones that create an optical illusion (trompe l'oeil) such as painting the illusion of three-dimensional depth on that flat wall or ceiling.
Some painting contractors do offer faux painting services or decorative painting services in addition to their house painting. A company that is decorative painting or faux finish painting only, need not be a full service painting contractor. However, all decorative painters in Middlesex County NJ recommended by The Prime Buyer's Report still needed to show our research staff proof of general liability insurance, and if they have employees, proof of worker's comp insurance as protection for you.
Faux painting is more than just faux finishes and decorative finishes. Decorative painters in Middlesex County NJ can create texturing effects too. Sponge painting (or ‘sponging') is one commonly used method of adding texture to fresh paint.
The cost of faux finishing & decorative painters in Middlesex County NJ varies greatly depending on the skill and experience of the faux painters, the type of faux finish desired and on the complexity of decorative painting effects. Many good decorative painters in Middlesex County NJ will want to see the space to get decorative painting treatment, in order to give you a detailed estimate for the faux finishing or decorative painting you desire.
Some Painters in Middlesex County NJ Are A Much Better Value Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these painters in Middlesex County NJ: . Other painting contractors in Middlesex County NJ who might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask Painters in Middlesex County NJ
When it comes to painting contractors in Middlesex County NJ, ask some questions about the abilities, experience, and methods of the commercial painters or residential painters you're considering spending with.
• How long have the painting contractors been house painters or commercial painters in Middlesex County NJ?
• Can the painting companies give you names and numbers you can call as references? (All painting contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do the painting companies have experience in the same kind of project as yours, such as residential painting versus commercial painting, or interior painters versus exterior painting?
• What are their hours of availability?
• How do the painting contractors determine pricing for residential painting or commercial painting jobs?
• Can the painters vouch that all their employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? (All painting companies bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Do the commercial or residential painting contractors in Middlesex County NJ have active workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All painting companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will the painting contractors provide written estimates and if so, will it detail the exact brand of paint, grade of paint within that brand, number of gallons to be applied, and number of coats to be applied, allowing you to make accurate comparisons among bids? For the same purpose, will it specify how many hours of prep work will be done, what tasks are included in that prep work, i.e. sanding, filling small holes, removing rot, etc.?
• Does the painting contractor provide written warranties for their labor?
• If the existing paint contains lead as is typical with paint applied many years ago, is the painting contractor EPA Lead Safe Certified for safe removal of the old paint and will they be following the required protocols to ensure your safety and avoid causing you legal liabilities from improper removal of lead paint?
• Does the painting contractor perform all phases of the work or do they hire subcontractors to finish the job?
• How long should it take the painting crews to complete the work once they start?
• Are there any measures you should take before the painters show up (moving furniture, covering valuables, patching nail holes, etc.), or will the painting contractors provide such services?
• Does the owner personally hire and train their painting crew and are they long term employees or merely day laborers?
• How and when do the painting contractors clean up the job site?
• Will you have access to your home, office, or commercial property while the painters are working?
When you've selected the most suitable house painting or commercial painting contractor in Middlesex County NJ, make sure they are registered with the state of New Jersey if the painting is residential, since that's required by state law. (All painting companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their state registration verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About Painting Companies in Middlesex County NJ
Trade Organizations Related to Painting in Middlesex County NJ
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
FCA Finishing Contractors Association www.finishingcontractors.org
MPDA Master Painters and Decorators Association www.mpda.net
MPI Master Painters Institute www.mpi.net
NAPP National Alliance of Professional Painters www.thenapp.com
NPCA National Paint and Coatings Association www.paint.org
PDCA Painting and Decorating Contractors of America www.pdca.org
IDAL International Decorative Artisans League www.decorativeartisans.org
SDP Society of Decorative Painters www.decorativepainters.org
Media & Web Resources Relevant to Painting Companies in Middlesex County NJ
The Faux Finisher Magazine
Painting and Wallcovering Magazine
Faux Effects World Magazine
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Painting Contractors in Middlesex County NJ within the following zip codes:
8902, 8901, 8904, 8903, 8818, 8840, 8861, 8817, 8837, 8859, 8816, 8832, 8857, 8884, 8812, 8831, 8855, 8882, 8810, 8830, 8854, 8879, 8536, 8828, 8852, 8872, 8512-2, 8824, 8850, 8871, 8820, 8846, 8863, 7080, 7077, 7067, 7064, 7008, 7001 and 7095
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Painting Companies in Middlesex County NJ within the following cities:
Avenel, Carteret, Colonia, Dunellen, Fords, Highland Park, Iselin, Kendall Park, Metuchen, Middlesex, New Brunswick, Old Bridge, Perth Amboy, Princeton Meadows, Sayreville, South Amboy, South Plainfield, South River, Spotswood, Woodbridge, East Brunswick, Edison, Monroe, North Brunswick, Piscataway and South Brunswick