The Best Transmission Shops in Rochester NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Spend With
Transmission shops in Rochester bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are those transmission repair services that have exceeded the minumum New York state regulatory standard. They are the transmission shops proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for value and honesty, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them or transmissions in Rochester, including new transmissions, transmission repair, clutch repair, transmission rebuilds, and more.
Updated November 04, 2016
The Best Transmission Shops in Rochester NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Spend With
New York state requires only that transmission repair shops in Rochester NY be registered with the state, with no exam or test of knowledge required and no on site inspection of the transmission shop, so there is no state standard for competency among transmission repair services in Rochester.
So obviously the state registration for transmission repair is no guarantee that any particular transmission shop in Rochester NY is competent, doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all services for transmission repair in Rochester NY that bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, verified state registration, good complaint record, verified liability insurance, sufficient time in business, best business practices, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Transmission Repair, Transmission Rebuild, Transmission Remanufacture
Transmission repair is used as a generic term but it properly means doing a limited amount of repair to your transmission to get it working again, if such is even possible with a bench repair, fixing or replacing a minimum number of parts inside your transmission.
Transmission remanufacture, or transmission rebuild is a more extensive process that replaces all the components inside with new ones. But since there's no textbook or legal definition for transmission rebuilt versus mere "repair", some transmission shops will quote you a price for a "transmission rebuild" when in fact they are doing a much less extensive mere repair, and it's often why some transmission shops seem so much cheaper than the others who give you an honest quote for a true rebuild requiring more new parts and more labor.
Beware of Cheap Diagnosis of the Transmission Problem
Some transmission shops will quote you a dirt-cheap price to look at it and diagnose your problem. But be aware that it can be a gimmick. Once your car is up on the lift and your transmission taken apart, they will quote you an unnecessarily high price to fix it. But if you decline the repair, such as if you want to have it done elsewhere, you are now hit with a charge to put your transmission back together and back into your vehicle. So if you are at the mere diagnosis stage, before you leap at a cheap quote for transmission problem diagnosis, find out what happens if you decline their repair quote in terms of the charge to put it back in your car.
Transmission Repair Warranty
Quality transmission repairs or transmission rebuilds will come with warranties and not all transmission shops offer the same ones, so find out in advance how many miles or months it's for and exactly what it covers.
If you travel, also take into account if that transmission shop's warranty is honored by shops in another area where a breakdown might occur. The most obvious instance of knowing the warranty work can be performed by other shops is in the case of national or regional franchises like Mr Transmission, Cottman Transmission, AAMCO Transmissions, Gibraltar Transmissions, Lee Myles Transmission and others. But some indepedent transmission shops join regional or national networks of other independent operators expressly so that their warranties will be honored outside their local area.
Some Transmission Shops in Rochester NY Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these transmission shops in Rochester NY: . Other services for new transmissions or repair of transmissions in Rochester NY that might still be in business include: .
The Best Transmissions Shops in Rochester NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Spend With
Question To Ask Transmission Shops in Rochester NY
Ask these questions about experience, pricing, methods, and terms of transmission shops in Rochester NY:
· How long have the transmission centers been doing transmission repairs in Rochester NY?
· How often do the transmission repair mechanics work on your kind of car?
• Will the transmission shop give you names and numbers of previous customers you can call as references? (All transmission shops in Rochester NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol have already had their customers called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
· Do they charge an inspection fee before you agree to any transmission repair?
• Will they need to put your car up on the lift and do some disassembly in order to diagnose the problem and give you a quote? If so, how much mroe will they charge you to put it back together if you decide not to authorize a repair? (This is one way that cheap transmission services in Rochester only seem so, with a low initial quote to diagnose, but then extoring you for a large sum of money to put it back together if you don't do the repair.)
• If the transmission shop quotes you for a "transmission rebuild", will they specify every single item being replaced in the transmission? (This is another way that cheap transmission repair services in Rochester only seem so, by falsely calling it a "transmission rebuild" when really it is only a relatively minor bench repair.)
• Does the transmission shop do all the work in-house or do they send any transmission work out to another shop, and if so, what is the name so you can research their reputation?
• Will they show you proof of active liability insurance to reimburse you in the event of any accidental damage to your vehicle while it's in the care? (All transmission shops in Rochester NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol have already had their proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do the transmission repair specialists use original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts, other new parts, or used or refurbished parts?
· Will work performed by the transmission repair shops affect your manufacturer's warranty?
· Will the transmission repair centers provide a written, itemized estimate for transmission repair?
· Will the transmission mechanics provide a written contract for transmission repair?
· What process do the transmission repair mechanics go through to price transmission work?
· What type of warranty do they give on your repair and can you see a written copy?
· How long should it take to complete?
· Do they provide courtesy cars?
· If the repair work involves a damaged transmission component, what was the failure?
· What action would the transmission specialists take if this had happened to their own car?
• Will they let you have all claimed damaged or worn transmission parts that need replacement?
Once you've found the best transmission shop in Rochester NY for your specific needs, make sure they are registered with the state since it's required by law. (All transmission shops in Rochester NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol have already had their state registration verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Research on Transmission Repair in Rochester NY
Common Transmission Repair Terms
Automatic Transmission - An automatic transmission shifts itself. A fluid coupling or torque converter instead of a manually operated clutch connects the transmission to the engine. Newer automatic transmission vehicles use electronic controls to regulate shifting and torque converter lockup.
Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) - A special kind of oil used in automatic transmissions. There are several types: Dexron II, Dexron III, Type F, Mercon, Mercon V, Chrysler 7176 and several varieties of Chrysler ATF-Plus. All of these automatic transmission fluid types are are friction-modified lubricants except Type F. Dexron II, Dexron III, Mercon and Mercon V have similar additives. You should only use the automatic transmission fluid specified by your vehicle manufacturer. If you use the wrong automatic transmission fluid, you can cause transmission problems. Read your user's manual if you do not know what type of ATF your transmission calls for. Some dipsticks list the type of automatic transmission fluid required. Some universal ATF fluids are available that meet requirements for many friction-modified vehicles. Newer automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron III and Mercon V last longer than past types of automatic transmission fluid, but they can still oxidize if your transmission runs too hot. Towing is especially hard on automatic transmission fluid unless your transmission is equipped with an oil cooler. It is recommended you change your older vehicle's transmission fluid around every 30,000 miles. Newer vehicles have different automatic transmission fluid change recommendations. See your owner's manual for details.
Clutch - A pedal or lever that engages or disengages the rotating shaft and driving mechanism in manual transmission vehicles.
Clutch Pedal - The pedal to the left of the brake pedal on manual transmission vehicles. Pushing down the clutch pedal enables the driver to change gears.
Differential - A special gearbox designed to spilt and deliver the torque into two outputs that turn at different speeds. Axel differentials are designed to split torque evenly; however, when a center differential is used between the front axles and rear axles in four-wheel-drive systems, it can allocate torque unevenly.
Drive Train - The system that connects the transmission to the drive axles.
Manual Transmission - A transmission in which the driver changes gears using a hand-operated gearshift and a foot-operated clutch. Also known as a "standard transmission".
Transmission - Transmission is the gearbox that multiplies engine torque through gear reduction and torque conversion. Most manual transmission vehicles have four or five speeds, with the highest gear being either a 1:1 drive ratio or an overdrive ratio that is less than 1:1. Automatic transmissions multiply the engine torque as it passes through the fluid coupling, also called the torque converter, then through different gear ratios. Vehicles with manual transmissions usually have better fuel economy than cars with automatic transmissions because of slippage that frequently occurs in automatic transmission torque converters. Manual transmissions are usually easy to maintain, except for the clutch, which can break or malfunction if adjusted incorrectly or treated roughly. With automatics, the leading mechanical problem is fluid breakdown that results from overheating. You can avoid transmission failure with transmission fluid changes and filter changes every 24,000 miles.
Resources About Transmission Repair in Rochester NY
Licensing & Industry Associations Regarding Transmission Repair in Rochester NY
AAA American Automobile Association www.aaa.com
AAIA Automotive Aftermarket Industry Associationwww.aftermarket.org
AASP Alliance Of Automotive Service Providers www.autoserviceproviders.com
AIAG Automotive Industry Action Group www.aiag.org
APAA Automotive Parts & Accessories Association www.apaa.org
APRA Automotive Parts Remanufactures Association www.apra.org
ASA Automotive Service Association www.asashop.org
ATRA Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association www.atra.com
ATSG Automatic Transmission Service Group atsg.biz
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
CAPA Certified Auto Parts Association www.capacertified.org
MPTA Mechanical Power Transmission Association www.mpta.org
PTDA Power Transmission Distrs Association www.ptda.org
Media Related to Transmission Repair in Rochester NY
Car and Driver
Popular Hot Rodding
Road & Track
Sport Compact Car
Turbo & High Tech Performance
US Auto News
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for TOP 10 Transmission Shops in Rochester NY within the following zip codes:
14467, 14526, 14603, 14611, 14619, 14642, 14464, 14515, 14602, 14610, 14618, 14626, 14450, 14514, 14586, 14609, 14617, 14625, 14445, 14511, 14580, 14608, 14616, 14624, 14428, 14508, 14559, 14607, 14615, 14623, 14420, 14506, 14546, 14606, 14614, 14622, 14410, 14472, 14543, 14605, 14613, 14621, 14468, 14534, 14604, 14612, 14620 and 14692
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Transmission Repair in Rochester NY within the following cities:
Brighton, Brockport, Chili, Churchville, Clarkson, East Rochester, Fairport, Gates, Greece, Hamlin, Henrietta, Hilton, Honeoye Falls, Irondequoit, Mendon, Ogden, Parma, Penfield, Perinton, Pittsford, Riga, Rochester, Rush, Scottsville, Spencerport, Sweden, Webster, Wheatland and North Gates