The Best Interior Designers in Monterey County CA Are the Ones Verified As Safe To Hire
Interior designers in Monterey County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol are those local interior designers who have been proven by our independent research to have passed the Top Ten requirements for ability and value, and for whom our staff has called previous clients to verify high satisfaction with them for interior design services in Monterey County CA, including residential and commercial interior designs.
Updated December 05, 2018
The Best Interior Designers in Monterey County CA Are the Ones Verified As Safe To Hire
The state of California does not require interior designers in Monterey County CA to be licensed by the state, so there is no state standard for competency in interior design.
This makes it all the more significant that all interior designers in Monterey County CA that bear The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten status, such as survey phone calls to previous clients to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, best business practices, sufficient length of time in business, and more.
What's the difference between Interior Designers and Interior Decorators?
There is a difference between interior designers and interior decorators. Interior designers design functional spaces with an understanding of the likes, wants, and behaviors of the people who will be using it. Interior decorators are professionals who furnish a space taking the aesthetics into account such as fabrics, color, etc.
It's easy to get them confused. In fact, interior decorating is part of what interior designers do, but interior designers are also equipped to recommend structural changes such as the removal or addition of walls, doorways, windows, and other facets of buildings. Although they don't conduct those changes themselves unless they also hold a state contractors registration. The barrier to entry to become an interior designer is usually much greater than to be an interior decorator, and interior designers usually can demonstrate college or design school degrees, and industry accreditation.
While there is no state license or other legal standard for interior designers, there is a designation of Registered Interior Designer which is applied for and earned by passing an exam.
What is the Value in Finding and Hiring a Local Interior Designer?
In the digital age, there are a growing number of online computer imaging tools that let the average consumer see and compare different choices in colors, fabrics, materials, fixtures and more. But there are also lots of medical websites that list symptoms, yet we all agree that a real diagnosis and solution should come from an actual doctor and we wouldn't undertake a certain course of treatment based only on something we saw online.
Similarly, interior designers provide value that computer imaging tools can't. They have spent years learning, living, and breathing design, material properties, and judging performance after installation for previous clients.
For example, a consumer can pick among colors and finishes of a coffee table online, but a designer will be able to also consider the consumer's lifestyle based on previous experience, such as knowing that if they have children, a shiny finish will be hard to keep clean of fingerprints. Likewise, there's more to fabric selection than simply color and texture. Perhaps flame retardant qualities should be a priority in a house, or new carpets not made with off-gassing chemicals should be chosen for the house of a chemically sensitive client or those who are health conscious.
Good local interior designers in Monterey County have run across these problems and found solutions before for previous clients, so they can be a great resource for you in planning the layout, flow, and appearance of your home or business.
Interior Designers Save You Money
Technology allows consumers to do more design elements themselves that previously may have required a designer. This might let a consumer believe that they are saving money by not hiring an interior designer, yet interior designers can save you money.
For example, while consumers can use a retailer's website to mix and match color and fabric choices on a couch, a good interior designer will know of many more options available than the consumer can possibly know, thus they are able to provide better products and greater satisfaction in the long run.
In addition, local interior designers in Monterey County and the rest of Monterey County often get steep discounts on furnishings not available to consumers due to special manufacturer relationships or greater purchasing volume. This can further keep the cost of your interior design low, giving you more bang for your buck and a better end result.
So it may well cost you more to go it alone, and you may find that you're dissatisfied in just a few years and want to spend all over again to replace items that you didn't like as much as you could have or that held up poorly. Or you may end up frustrated with a home remodel that could have provided a bigger resale price with a designer's input, reaping tens of thousands of dollars more upon the sale.
Home Staging Services in Monterey County CA
Some interior designers and interior decorators also specialize in staging homes for sale in Monterey County and throughout Monterey County. They use their years of experience combined with their knowledge of the latest trends in colors and fashions to get a higher price and a quicker sale for homes, condos, apartments, commercial buildings, office suites, and other buildings that are for sale.
Qualified Interior Designers in Monterey County CA Are Better than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these interior designers in Monterey County CA: . Others doing interior design in Monterey County CA who might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask Interior Designers in Monterey County CA
When choosing which Monterey County interior designer to hire in Monterey County CA and your area, ask the right questions about their experience, education, range of services, and credentials:
• How long have the local interior designers been in business and providing interior designs and interior decorating services?
• How many interior design projects have they done specifically in Monterey County CA?
• What is their experience doing projects similar to the one you have planned? (Such as size of home, value of home, residential interior designers versus commercial interior designers, etc.)
• Can the local interior designers give you names and numbers of clients you can call as references? Can they give you references that had similar work done as the interior design services you're considering so you can get feedback about what you can expect during the process? (All interior designers in Monterey County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already had their client references called by our research staff.)
• Do the interior design companies charge for estimates? If so, how is that amount calculated?
• If they charge for interior design estimates, will they apply that fee to your final bill if you decide to hire them for decorating services?
• What is the hourly rate of the local interior designers, and will they be able to give you an estimate of the finished project total cost? (This is important because cheap interior designers in Monterey County and the surrounding areas may only appear to be less expensive by quoting a lower hourly rate and then taking much longer to complete the project, ending up being more costly than an experienced interior designer with a slightly higher hourly rate.)
• Do the interior decorating companies have a particular specialty you should know about?
• Regardless of their specialties, are they familiar with your preferred style and can they work with you to create the home of your dreams?
• Can the interior design firms show you proof of active liability insurance and, if sending employees to your property, workers comp insurance for your protection? (All interior designers in Monterey County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have had proof of insurance verified by our research staff.)
• Do the professional interior designers use interior design software that will help you visualize your space as you make choices?
• What school(s) did the interior designer go to, and what degrees do they hold? Do they have additional training or certification that pertains to interior design and interior decoration?
• How many clients do the Monterey County interior design firms typically handle at one time? What does this mean in terms of their availability to you?
• Who will be your point of contact at the interior design company on an ongoing basis, the owner or an employee?
• If the interior designers recommend structural changes to your home or office building, do they have a state contractor's registration to do the work themselves? If not, will you or the interior designer be responsible for hiring and managing a contractor? If it's the designer, what is the name of that outside contractor they propose using?
• Do the interior designers have special relationships with distributors or manufacturers?
• What kinds of samples do the interior designers have available for you to see and feel?
• How will the interior decorators show you examples of their previous interior design projects?
When you've chosen the best interior designers in Monterey County for your needs, make sure they have a good complaint record by checking local agencies and consumer agencies. (All interior designers in Monterey County CA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have had their complaint status checked by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
Resources About Interior Designers in Monterey County CA
The following is a list of trade publications, consumer publications, and associations related to interior designers in Monterey County and home interior decoration services:
Regulatory Bodies & Trade Associations Related to Interior Designers in Monterey County
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs
State Attorney General
ASID (American Society of Interior Designers)
IIDA (International Interior Design Association)
AIDP (Association of Interior Design Professionals)
IDS (Interior Design Society)
CID (Certified Interior Decorators)
IFI (International Federation of Interior Designers)
IDEC (Interior Design Educators Council)
NCIDQ (National Council for Interior Design Qualification)
AAHID (American Academy of Healthcare Interior Designers)
CSD (Chartered Society of Designers)
CIDA (Council for Interior Design Accreditation)
OBD (Organization of Black Designers)
Publications Relevant to Interior Design Services in Monterey County
Interior Design Magazine
Luxe Interiors + Design Magazine
Home Design Magazine
Healthcare Design Magazine
Interior Design and Contemporary Homes Magazine
California Home + Design
Style At Home
California Home and Design
Workspace Design Magazine
Design for Living
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Interior Designers in Monterey County within the following zip codes:
93921, 93932, 93960, 93902, 93920, 93930, 93955, 93901, 93915, 93927, 93953, 93912, 93926, 93950, 95076, 93908, 93925, 93944, 95039, 93907, 93924, 93942, 95012, 93906, 93923, 93940, 95004, 93922, 93933, 93962, 93905, 93450 and 93426
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Interior Decorators and Interior Designers in Monterey County within the following cities:
Aromas, Boronda, Carmel Valley Village, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Castroville, Chualar, Del Monte Forest, Del Rey Oaks, Elkhorn, Gonzales, Greenfield, King City, Las Lomas, Marina, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pajaro, Pine Canyon, Prunedale, Salinas, Seaside, Soledad, Spreckels, Big Sur, Carmel Valley, Toro Park and Carmel Highlands