How To Find the Best Financial Planners in San Mateo County CA
Investment advisors or financial planners in San Mateo County CA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are those who have exceeded the minimum California state and federal standards. They are the ones that have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, and for whom our staff has called previous clients to verify high satisfaction with them as investment advisors or financial planners in San Mateo County CA, including for retirement planning, estate planning, cash flow management or risk management.
Updated January 16, 2018
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Portola Valley, CA 94028
San Mateo, CA 94403
San Mateo, CA 94403
Redwood City, CA 94065
Burlingame, CA 94010
How To Find the Best Financial Planners in San Mateo County CA
The state of California does not require a state license of financial planners in San Mateo County CA, while investment advisors may require a registration with the state or the SEC if they are performing as brokers of investments (financial products).
But even that registration is no guarantee that any particular investment advisor in San Mateo County CA is competent, doing business ethically, providing value, or satisfying clients.
This makes it all the more significant that all investment advisors and financial planners in San Mateo County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff, and have passed all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous clients to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified state registration (if doing investment product sales), sufficient time in business, best business practices, and more.
Financial planners assess your overall life circumstances and short term and long term financial goals to formulate a written financial plan to reach them, and then give ongoing advice on decisions that can affect them.
Many financial planners are also investment advisors. Investment advisors give advice about buying and trading securities such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds and often are the broker/dealers of those securities. Some of these investment advisers will manage for you your entire portfolio of securities. Not all investment advisors do financial planning however which is a more comprehensive management of all your financial goals and the items and decisions that affect them. Because financial planners are not necessarily selling or brokering financial products to you, they don't have to be registered with the state or federal government. Investment advisers, or financial planners that also perform as investment advisors do have to be registered. Those who manage more than $100 million in client assets must register with the SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission). Those who manage less must register with the state securities agency in their state.
Some financial planners and investment advisors are limited in their recommendations to a narrow range of investment products, including ones that aren't securities, meaning their advice may be influenced by commissions they're paid by the investment product company. So before you hire a financial planner or investment adviser ask them what limitations there are on their advice or products, what outside compensation they might be getting for brokering those financial products and how they are paid overall, including fees to you, and what their services include and don't include.
Financial planners and investment advisors are usually paid in one or more of the following ways:
• A fixed fee
• A commission on the securities they sell
• An hourly rate for the time they spend for you
• A percentage of the value of the assets they manage for you
Each of the above compensation methods have possible positives and negatives depending on your situation so ask the financial planner or investment advisor to explain the differences to you and to make a case for why their specific method of compensation is beneficial.
Some Financial Planners in San Mateo County CA Are Much Better than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these investment advisors or financial planners in San Mateo County CA: Hurley Wealth Management Group Burlingame CA, Next Step Wealth Redwood City CA, Vantage Wealth Management, LLC San Mateo CA, SGC Financial San Mateo CA, Foresight Financial Planning Menlo Park CA, Westridge Wealth Strategies Portola Valley CA, Peter B Diaz CPA & Associates Redwood City CA. Other financial planners in San Mateo County CA that might still be in business include: Navigation Group, Inc Redwood City CA.
Questions to Ask Investment Advisors or Financial Planners in San Mateo County CA
When it comes to finding investment advisors or financial planners in San Mateo County, as these questions about their abilities, background, experience and credentials:
• Do the financial planners have a minimum requirement for the net worth of clients they agree to take on, and if so what is it?
• Have they done financial planning for clients with situations similar to yours (such as individual vs business, single vs married, raising children, retirement focused, high net worth vs middle class, etc.), and if so, how many and with what outcome?
• Will they show you their ADV form which shows if they've had problems with regulators or clients? (All financial planners and investment advisors in San Mateo County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Reportâ”€TOP 10 symbol have already had their ADV form verified by our research staff as free of such problems.)
• Will they show you proof of professional liability insurance (such as E&O insurance) which protects you from financial loss in the event of their error? (All financial planners and investment advisors in San Mateo County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Reportâ”€TOP 10 symbol have already shown proof of liability insurance.)
• Will they provide you with client names and numbers you can call as references? (All financial planners and investment advisors in San Mateo County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Reportâ”€TOP 10 symbol have already had their client references called by our researchers so you don't have to.)
• How long have they been financial planners or investment advisers in San Mateo County CA?
• What is their employment history prior to becoming a financial planner or investment adviser?
• How do they get paid, by whom, and how is it calculated?
• What do and don't their services include? (Many investment advisers do not do overall financial planning, and they might not manage your entire investment portfolio.)
• What method will they use to formulate an overall financial plan for you (if financial planners) or before they recommend specific investments (if investment advisors) and how much time will they spend with you doing so?
• Who at their firm will be your regular point of contact and what is their experience compared to the principal or partner?
• What credentials do they hold and what was required to earn them? Examples include CFP (Certified Financial Planner) and CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst).
When you've chosen the best financial planners in San Mateo County for your specific needs, make sure they are registered by the SEC or the state if they broker financial products. (All financial planners and investment advisors in San Mateo County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Reportâ”€TOP 10 symbol have already had their registration verified by our researchers so you don't have to.)
Resources About Investment Advisors & Financial Planners in San Mateo County CA
The following is a list of trade associations and publications related to financial planning & investing.
Associations & Licensing for Investing & Financial Planning in San Mateo County CA
CFA Institute (Chartered Financial Analyst)
CFP Board of Standards (Certified Financial Planners)
NAPFA (National Association of Personal Financial Advisor)
NAIFA (National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors)
AFCPE (Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education)
FPA (Financial Planning Association)
NAIPFA (National Association of Independent Public Finance Advisors)
AAAFA (Association of African American Financial Advisors)
IAA (Investment Adviser Association)
NAAIM (National Association of Active Investment Managers)
SROIIA (Self-Regulatory Organization for Independent Investment Advisers)
NOIP (National Organization of Investment Professionals)
NASD (National Association of Securities Dealers)
NASAA (North American Securities Administrators Association)
MFA (Managed Funds Association)
CFBTA (Commodity Floor Brokers and Trade Association)
ICAA (Investment Counsel Association of America)
STA (Security Traders Association)
AIMSE (Association of Investment Sales Executives)
Publications for Investment & Financial Planners in San Mateo County CA
Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine
Business Finance Magazine
Pensions & Investments
Trusts and Estates
If you are looking for investment or financial planning services The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Financial Planners in San Mateo County CA within the following zip codes:
94064, 94037, 94026, 94018, 94017, 94016, 94011, 94083, 94010, 94028, 94066, 94403, 94015, 94025, 94065, 94402, 94005, 94021, 94063, 94401, 94002, 94020, 94061, 94074, 94027, 94019, 94060, 94128, 94404, 94044, 94070, 94062, 94038, 94098, 94014, 94030, 94096 and 94080
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Financial Planners in San Mateo County CA within the following cities:
Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Broadmoor Village, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, Emerald Hills, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, La Honda, Loma Mar, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Moss Beach, Pacifica, Palomar Park, Pescadero, Portola Valley, Princeton by the Sea, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Gregorio, San Mateo, Sharp Park, South SF, West Menlo Park, Woodside, El Granada and Montara