The Best Tax Preparers in San Mateo County CA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Tax return preparers in San Mateo County CA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have exceeded the minimum California regulatory requirement. They are the income tax preparers proven by our independent research to have passed the Top Ten requirements for value and ability, carry liability insurance as protection for you the client, and for whom our staff has called previous clients to verify high satisfaction with them for tax prep in San Mateo County CA, including tax filing, tax rebates, corporate tax returns, and more.
Updated January 29, 2019
The Best Tax Preparers in San Mateo County CA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of California requires that tax return preparers in San Mateo County CA to either be CTEC Registered, or a CPA, or an EA (Enrolled Agent). Enrolled agents in San Mateo County CA are tax professionals who have been tested and approved by the IRS to represent tax payers to the IRS and are automatically licensed to prepare tax returns for all 50 states.
But CTEC registration or enrolled agent status are no guarantee that any particular tax preparer in San Mateo County CA is doing business ethically, providing value, or satisfying clients.
This makes it all the more significant that all tax return preparers in San Mateo County CA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten status, such as survey phone calls to previous clients to verify high satisfaction with their tax return preparation services, verified liability insurance, verified registration, best business practices, good complaint record, sufficient length of time in business, and more.
Numerous Services Performed By Tax Return Preparers in San Mateo County CA
Tax preparation can be performed by CTEC Registered Tax Preparers (CRTPs), Enrolled Agents (EAs), and CPAs. They can also advise you on tax related issues. EAs (Enrolled Agents) are tax preparers that have passed the special enrollment examination given by the IRS.
They can prepare out of state returns, individual income taxes, corporate tax returns, non-profit tax returns, partnership tax returns, sales statements, tax audit representation, and sales tax representation. If the need arises for litigation support, EAs are also qualified to provide IRS representation.
Some tax return preparers in San Mateo County CA are certified QuickBooks Pro advisers, and they can teach you how to use the program and set it up on your home system for simple records transfers. Many tax professionals, including EAs, offer free initial tax consultation or provide free electronic filling. And if you need extensions with deadlines later in the year than April 15th, good tax return preparers give service all year round.
Some Tax Return Preparers in San Mateo County CA Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these tax preparers in San Mateo County: Peter B Diaz CPA & Associates Redwood City CA, Padgett Business Services Woodside CA, Business Management Services West Menlo Park CA, Edens Patrick Redwood City CA, Klaus Jane E San Mateo CA, Vorsatz Frank San Mateo CA, Reliable Tax Service South San Francisco CA, E & F Income Tax Daly City CA. Other tax preparers in San Mateo County CA that might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask Tax Return Preparers in San Mateo County CA
When it comes time to hire good local tax preparers in Redwood City, CA or your area, ask these questions about their abilities, experience, and credentials.
• How long have the tax return agents been in the business? (All tax preparers bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have been in business for at least a year or in the industry for over five years.)
• What computer programs do the San Mateo County tax preparation services use for record keeping?
• What are the service rates for tax preparation services in and around San Mateo County CA? Do the tax preparers have a rate chart available?
• What tax preparer certifications do the tax prep professionals you're considering hold?
• Are the local tax preparers willing to give you the name and numbers of some clients you can call as references? (All tax return preparers bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already had their client references called by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
• Do the San Mateo County tax preparers you're interviewing generally deal with tax preparation for businesses or for individuals?
• Do the local tax preparers specialize in income tax preparation, federal tax preparation or state tax preparation?
• What can the tax preparation services tell you regarding capital gains taxes, estate taxes or tax planning advice that's specific to your needs?
• What are the hours of operation at the tax preparation firms in case you need to reach them? Do they have extended hours during peak tax prep season and regular hours during the rest of the year? Or are they only open during tax time?
• Will the San Mateo County tax firms show you proof of liability insurance (such as Errors & Omissions) that protects you from paying fines in the event of a mistake? (All tax return preparers bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already shown proof of liability insurance to research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
• Do the local tax preparers in San Mateo County and your area attend continuing education courses? If so, how often? (This is important to be able to stay on top of the constant changes in the tax code.)
• Do the income tax filers in San Mateo County, including Redwood City and your area, have a privacy statement they can file with your records?
• Will the local tax preparation services store your tax information? If so, for how long?
• Can you see the tax preparers' credentials? (All local tax return preparers bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already had their license or registration verified by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
• Will the tax preparation services provide a written contract for tax prep and tax filing services?
Tips About Tax Return Preparation Services in San Mateo County CA
Take Time Choosing Your Local Tax Return Consultant
You'll want to choose the right tax preparer for your financial profile. This requires talking with several different tax preparers in San Mateo County and your area. Talk with them about their qualifications, ask questions that help you understand their experience and ability to do your tax returns, and look for personal and professional qualities that you like. The local tax prep specialist you choose will be responsible for dealing with your personal or business financial information, so you should feel comfortable with them as a person and as a professional.
Don't rush this process, and don't wait until early April to start your search. Many experts recommend hiring one tax return preparer that you can work with year after year. This gives you someone you trust and that you know you can rely on come tax time, and it also means your tax preparer understands you and your taxes. This can cut down on the amount of billable hours and can help you get a better result.
So take the time you need to find the right San Mateo County tax preparation firm and tax preparer for you in Redwood City CA and your area. You'll be glad you did.
Be Prepared for Your Tax Consultation
Bring all applicable financial records to each interview with local tax preparation experts in San Mateo County and your area. Organize them beforehand—the time spent deciphering receipts and financial paperwork is billable, so you can save money and time by getting organized before you talk with local tax preparers.
Choose an Appropriate Tax Professional
There are several different kinds of financial professionals who offer tax return preparation services. If you have no dependents and expect only a small return, you probably don't need to consult a financial planner or hire a CPA. Conversely, large corporations need financial help from tax preparation professionals who have more experience and legal capabilities. Meanwhile, San Mateo County tax filers who have special circumstances may benefit from tax return filing services that can help them understand capital gains taxes, business taxes, estate taxes, inheritance taxes or tax return planning.
Finding the right tax preparer with the right set of qualifications and skills can help you get the best results and feel more comfortable during the tax preparation services.
Check Credentials for Tax Preparation in San Mateo County CA
Before you sign a contract with any financial professional or tax preparers in Redwood City CA, check their official qualifications. This might be asking any final questions you might have, verifying their license and insurance, or reviewing the notes you took from your interviews with local tax prep firms.
Feeling safe and comfortable with your San Mateo County tax preparation firm and your local tax preparer is very important, so take the time you need and don't rush the process. Building a professional relationship is worth the time you take.
Resources About Tax Return Preparation in Redwood City CA
Regulatory Bodies & Trade Associations Related to Tax Preparers in San Mateo County CA
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
CSEA California Society of Enrolled Agents www.csea.org
CSTC California Society of Tax Consultants www.cstcsociety.org
CTEC California Tax Education Council www.ctec.org
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs www.dca.ca.gov
Diamond Certified www.diamondcertified.org
FTB Franchise Tax Board of California www.ftb.ca.gov
IRS Internal Revenue Service www.irs.gov
NAEA National Association of Enrolled Agents www.naea.org
NATC National Association of Tax Consultants www.natctax.org
NATP National Association of Tax Professionals www.natptax.com
Media Regarding Tax Return Preparers in San Mateo County CA
International Tax Review
Journal of the American Taxation Association
Journal of Property Valuation and Taxation
Journal of State Taxation
Journal of Taxation of Investments
Taxes-The Tax Magazine
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten tax preparers in San Mateo County CA within the following zip codes:
94017, 94016, 94083, 94011, 94064, 94037, 94026, 94018, 94066, 94404, 94401, 94030, 94027, 94065, 94062, 94074, 94028, 94063, 94014, 94128, 94025, 94061, 94010, 94070, 94021, 94080, 94060, 94015, 94098, 94020, 94403, 94044, 94005, 94096, 94019, 94402, 94038 and 94002
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten tax preparation services in San Mateo County CA within the following cities:
Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Broadmoor Village, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, Emerald Hills, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, La Honda, Loma Mar, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Moss Beach, Pacifica, Palomar Park, Pescadero, Portola Valley, Princeton by the Sea, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Gregorio, San Mateo, Sharp Park, South SF, West Menlo Park, Woodside, El Granada and Montara