How to Find the Best Foundation Contractors in San Francisco CA
Foundation contractors in San Francisco pour new foundations, do foundation repair, inspection, and foundation stabilization to address a sinking foundation, sinking slab, bowed or buckled foundations, foundation jacking, foundation replacement, or even simple foundation cracks.
The following research by The Prime Buyer's Report identifies the best foundation contractors in San Francisco and issues related to hiring them. Companies bearing the Top Ten certification mark have been proven to be licensed, insured, and have met customer service expectations, among other requirements.
Read on for more information about and tips for hiring local foundation contractors in San Francisco CA and your area.
Updated December 05, 2018
San Francisco, CA 94116
San Francisco, CA 94124
San Francisco, CA 94124
How to Find the Best Foundation Contractors in San Francisco CA
Foundation contractors for new foundations or foundation repair in San Francisco need to be state licensed as protection for consumers. However, there is no one specific contractors license for foundation work in California.
Instead, foundation pouring and foundation repair is performed by contractors under a variety of different license classifications such as the A license or C-8 license. When it comes to foundation jacking or injecting concrete for foundation stabilization, there is a specialty D30 license for these purposes, but that foundation work is still often done under other license categories like those cited above.
Foundation contractors in San Francisco CA are not required by law to have general liability insurance; however, all foundation contractors bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten designation have general liability insurance coverage which reimburses clients in the event of any damages.
Top Ten companies also have passed all other requirements for certification as Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten, such as reference phone calls with previous clients, hiring only documented workers, verified state license and workers' comp insurance, clean complaint record, and more.
What You Need to Know About Foundation Repair in San Francisco CA
Methods of foundation stabilization include plate anchors or drilling helical piers into a deeper layer of more stable earth when foundations rest directly on loose soil or limestone, which are soft and contribute to foundation sinking, buckling, and cracking. Helical piers are suitable for lighter structures, like most homes. Steel piers may be used in the same manner for heavier structures like commercial buildings, hospitals, multi-level apartment buildings, and other tall or heavy buildings.
The need for radical foundation stabilization or foundation sinking repair measures might be avoided with preventative repairs of small problems immediately such as when you first notice foundation cracks or cracks in the walls or floors of your home. These could be the result of foundation settling, but they could be the sign of a larger problem that will cost less to repair now rather than later. A foundation inspection should be performed immediately by a qualified foundation inspection service.
Foundation Contractors in San Francisco CA Resolve a Number of Foundation Problems
Many homeowners are familiar with the more common problems associated with foundations, including foundation cracking and settling. In these instances, a local foundation contractor that specializes in foundation repair can perform procedures to fix the problem, such as slabjacking (drilling holes in the foundation and filling them with polyurethane, epoxy, or other mixed fills), which is usually cheaper than replacing an entire slab.
But there are more complicated issues that can be caused by changes in the environment or poor original workmanship.
The best foundation contractors in San Francisco can remedy those potentially hazardous problems as well. Certain events, including landslides and earthquakes, may call for more intensive foundation repairs, such as house re-leveling, seismic retrofitting, shoring and hillside work on the property, or complete replacement of a failing foundation by pouring a new foundation.
Heavy storms that are accompanied by excessive water runoff can cause serious damage to foundations, including foundational sinking or sliding and other serious compromises to the structural integrity of the foundation. Good foundation contractors in San Francisco and the surrounding area approach these situations by performing drainage improvement, waterproofing, or house raising.
Because so many foundation problems are the result of poorly compacted fill dirt, local foundation contractors undertaking house foundation repair must use a variety of methods to approach the real problems that lie beneath the building foundations. Often schooled in soil engineering, the best foundation contractors in San Francisco deal with problematic fill by installing pier and grade beams, soil nailing, soil anchoring, and new underpinning. They can densify and strengthen the foundation soils to hinder permeation and prevent future settling of the slabs of the foundation. Some of the specialization of foundation repair is directly related to methods of remediation and mastery of the equipment required.
Good foundation contractors in San Francisco are able to do limited access drilling and pumping, stabilization, and perform the shoring work for new or existing homes and underground garages. When it comes to the longevity of a foundation, the best protection is usually through preventive maintenance. Before you find yourself in a dire situation, have an experienced foundation contractor improve the moisture resistance and durability of your concrete foundation.
Foam Insulation for Existing and New Foundations
For a warmer basement, concrete foundations can be insulated by lining the outside of the foundation with rigid foam insulation panels. To get the desired results, a foundation contractor should cover all of the foundation that's above ground level and exposed to the cold outside air. They should also cover it down to six feet or more below ground level because cold soil pressing against the foundation also makes basements cold, and the colder the local climate, the deeper below ground the frost depth extends to, from which foundations need to be insulated.
Some foundation insulation panels have drainage panels allowing water to pass quickly. When covering the exposed part of the foundation above ground level, use flashing at the top of the panels to prevent water from getting behind the panels. It easiest for foundation contractors to install this foundation insulation at the time the foundation is already fully exposed, such as when it's first built, or been excavated for major repairs or renovations. But the annual energy savings or greater comfort may be worth having a foundation contractor excavate around your foundation simply to install the insulation panels.
Some Foundation Contractors in San Francisco CA Are Safer to Hire Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these foundation contractors in San Francisco CA: Bruce Construction San Bruno CA, Birmingham Construction Group San Francisco CA, Associated Builders San Francisco CA, Artcore Construction Inc San Francisco CA, Mares & Dow Construction Concord CA. Other foundation contractors in San Francisco CA that might still be in business include: Ken Kelton Construction San Francisco CA, Lewis M Merlo Inc San Francisco CA, Bay Concrete Construction Co San Francisco CA.
Questions To Ask Foundation Contractors for Foundation Building & Repair
When it comes to foundation repair services, foundation pouring, or foundation inspections by licensed foundation contractors in San Francisco CA, ask these questions about the contractors' abilities, experience, and credentials.
• How long have the local foundation contractors been servicing San Francisco?
• How many other foundation projects have the foundation installation companies done specifically in San Francisco? This can be an indicator of how familiar they are with your local agencies, soil conditions, water table, weather, and other factors that can impact your new foundation.
• Can the local foundation companies give you customer names and numbers you can call as references? (All foundation contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already had customer references called by our research staff.)
• Do the San Francisco foundation companies have experience with the your type of foundation project, such as foundation repairs, foundation jacking, new foundations, or foundation stabilization services?
• How do the foundation companies determine pricing?
• Can the foundation contractor prove that all their employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? This protects you, your property, and workers. (All foundation companies bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Do the local foundation contractors you're considering have active workers' compensation and liability insurance to protect you? (All foundation companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have had proof of insurance verified by our research staff.)
• In preparation for a written bid for your evaluation, what process will the San Francisco new foundation companies use to do a thorough assessment of the site, including soil conditions, local agencies, and more?
• Do the foundation companies you're considering hiring provide written warranties for their labor beyond the one-year warranty mandated by the state of California?
• How will the local foundation contractors handle cost overruns due to inadequate planning? Do they guarantee to absorb any such costs, or will they expect you to?
• Does the foundation company give any kind of guarantee of completion by your deadline date?
• How well do the foundation contractors know their crews? Do they personally hire and train their employees, or do they bring them in from the outside on a project-by-project basis? If they hire subcontractors, can they guarantee that those companies are licensed, insured, and will not take out a lien on your property?
• How often and when do the foundation contractors in San Francisco and San Francisco plan to clean up your job site?
• If the foundation repair or installation project is residential, will you have access to your home or the worksite during the project?
Once you've chosen the best foundation company in San Francisco CA for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed in good standing with the state license necessary to legally perform the work. (All foundation companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have had their licenses verified by our research staff.)
Resources About New Foundations and Foundation Repairs in San Francisco CA
The following is a list of associations, agencies, and publications relevant to foundation contractors in San Francisco CA:
Associations & Licensing Regarding Foundation Work in San Francisco CA
AUCA American Underground Construction Association www.auca.org
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
CFA Concrete Foundations Association www.cfawalls.com
DCA California Department of Consumer Affairs www.dca.ca.gov
DFI Deep Foundations Institute www.dfi.org
Diamond Certified www.diamondcertified.org
FRA Foundation Repair Association www.foundationrepair.org
NAWSRC National Association of Waterproofing and Structural Repair Contractors www.nawsrc.org
Pile Driving Contractors Association www.piledrivers.org
Media & Web Resources
Foundation Magazine www.foundationmag.com
Pile Driver Magazine www.piledrivers.org/publications/
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten local Foundation Contractors in San Francisco CA within the following zip codes:
94164, 94158, 94170, 94140, 94159, 94169, 94126, 94157, 94168, 94125, 94147, 94167, 94120, 94146, 94166, 94119, 94188, 94142, 94165, 94101, 94172, 94141, 94127, 94109, 94116, 94124, 94108, 94134, 94115, 94123, 94107, 94133, 94114, 94122, 94105, 94132, 94112, 94121, 94104, 94131, 94111, 94118, 94130, 94110, 94117, 94129, 94103 and 94102
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the Top Ten Foundation Companies in San Francisco CA for foundation repairs and new foundation installation services within the following cities:
Presidio, San Francisco, Bernal Heights, Cow Hollow, Diamond Heights, Duboce Triangle, Eureka Valley, Fisherman's Wharf, Haight-Ashbury, Hayes Valley, Inner Sunset, Japantown, Laurel Heights, Marina District, Mission District, Nob Hill, Noe Valley, North Beach, Pacific Heights, The Presidio, Rincon Hill, Russian Hill, Sea Cliff, Sunset District, Telegraph Hill, Treasure Island, Twin Peaks, Western Addition, Outer Sunset and Union Square