How to Find the Best Civil Engineers in Marin County
When you are preparing for a new construction project, hiring good civil engineers in Marin County is a necessary step. Civil engineers in Marin County assess environmental impact and conforming to government regulations. Civil engineers can assess each community's regulations and restrictions and help you navigate through them.
The following research by The Prime Buyer's Report identifies the best civil engineers in Marin County and issues related to hiring them.
Updated December 06, 2016
How to Find the Best Civil Engineers in Marin County
Land surveyors and civil engineers in Marin County CA are required to be licensed by the State of California , such as with the C license for civil engineers or the L license for land surveyors, based on passing an exam, degrees, and documentation of previous work experience.
Civil engineers or land surveyors in Marin County CA are not required to show proof of worker's comp insurance to the state board in order to get their license, but having such insurance is critical for you as a client because if their employee is injured on your property and the engineering firm doesn't have worker's comp, you could be liable to pay for the injuries and your own insurance may not cover that cost.
Civil engineers in Marin County CA are not required by law to have liability insurance either; however, all civil engineers and land surveyors bearing The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 designation have liability insurance coverage which reimburses their client in the event of any damages or mistakes, in addition to passing all other requirements for certification as Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls with previous customers, hiring only employees legal to work in the U.S., verified license and workers' comp insurance, clean complaint record, and more.
Civil Engineers in Marin County CA Perform Numerous Services
Civil engineering is a broad classification of professional practices. For this reason, most civil engineers specialize in a specific subset of the industry, such as structural engineers, land surveyors, transportation engineers, or geotechnical engineers. It's crucial to successful evaluation and design of your project that the civil engineer you hire can adequately provide for your particular consultation or planning.
All civil engineers in Marin County CA that have been licensed by the State of California are required to be able to provide consultation and structural design for foundations, roads, airports, tunnels, dams, site planning, permit processing, commercial buildings, residential buildings, drainage and sewage systems, masonry walls, retaining walls, bridges, improvements for subdivisions, structural beams and trusses, and general structural design requirements. With such a plethora of proficiency, a detailed interview is necessary to hire the right engineer for the project.
If you're undertaking a new construction project, you can enlist a local engineer to perform initial land planning and construction staking, alta and hydro surveying, area flood level studies and land surveying for plot delineation or boundary disputes. Civil engineers who limit their focus to building design might specialize in winery design, resort design, estate design, and subdivision design. Their knowledge of structural improvements allows them to conduct damage assessments, real estate inspections, investigative engineering, and seismic retrofitting for dams and water supply systems.
Civil engineers that specialize in land planning and geomorphological studies in particular can perform perc tests, grading plans, GPS surveys, soil analysis, topographic map drawing, pond design, and erosion control design. All civil engineers in Marin County CA are required to adhere to and uphold local building codes. Some might have accreditations through the ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) or the ANSI (American National Standards Institute).
Structural Engineers in Marin County CA
Structural engineering is a specialty within civil engineering. Structural engineers in Marin County CA create drawings and specifications, perform calculations, review the work of other engineers, write reports and evaluations, and observe construction sites. The best structural engineers in Marin County CA are specialists in the field of engineering dealing with the analysis and design of structures that support or resist loads.
Civil Engineers in Marin County CA Consult on Many Projects
As stated previously, civil engineering is a broad field and professionals within often confine themselves to a particular niche, such as structural engineering as one example. Even within their particular industry subset, civil engineers will exclusively perform one of the phases of engineering design. Many civil engineers in Marin County CA prefer to consult on the initial planning aspect of the process. They may offer environmental planning, construction planning, structural planning, water resource planning, geotechnical planning (with the proper licensure), or fire protection system planning.
Those civil engineers in Marin County CA who focus their skills on design span the field. They work with transportation design, hydraulic design, construction design, and even swimming pool design. Planning or design civil engineers in Marin County CA can consult on almost any building project, and, at times, will follow through to the construction phase.
Some Civil Engineers in Marin County Are Much Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these civil engineers in Marin County: J L Engineering San Rafael CA, Meridian Surveying Engineering San Rafael CA, Nute Engineering: Civil & Sanitary Engineers San Rafael CA, Ballard & Watkins Construction San Anselmo CA, Allco Engineering Inc San Rafael CA, Wrysinski Ray Civil Engineer Novato CA, Schwartz I L Associates Inc Novato CA, White & Prescott Civil Engineers Novato CA, Gannett Fleming Inc Mill Valley CA, Pheif Engineering Mill Valley CA. Other civil engineers in San Rafael CA who might still be in business include: Beattie Edward B Sausalito CA, Olson Kenneth M Mill Valley CA.
Questions to Ask Civil Engineers in Marin County CA
Step 1: Describe Work to the Marin County CA Civil Engineers
Be prepared to explain what you'll need from your civil engineer. Elaborate on your reasons for the consultation, whether the changes are the result of a natural disaster, the type of property you need consulting for, and how much you are willing to spend. Be consistent in the way that you present the information so each civil engineer can generate an equally informed evaluation and estimate.
Step 2: Ask Questions of the Civil or Structural Engineers in Marin County CA & Take Thorough Notes
You'll want to be sure that your consulting civil engineer is not only proficient in his field, but a fair businessman as well. This list of questions can be used to glean this information from your candidate interview and eventually determine the civil engineer you prefer to work with. Record the conversation for easy reference and comparison later.
• How long have the engineers been licensed civil engineers and licensed structural engineers in Marin County CA? (Long experience with the specific local area suggests better familiarity with local soil and weather conditions, as well as local codes and permit requirements.)
• Do the engineers have experience in the type of work you've described such as land surveyors versus land planning services?
• Will the engineers give you names and numbers of previous clients who you can call as references? (All civil engineers in Marin County CA that bear The Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already had their clients called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How long do the civil engineers expect it to take to complete the engineering process?
• Will the structural engineers provide a written, itemized estimate for the engineering work?
• Will they show you proof of their liability insurance and workers comp insurance? (All civil engineers in Marin County CA that bear The Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already had their proof of insurance by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Are there alternatives or modifications to the civil engineering project that could make it more attractive or bring the costs down?
• During the course of the structural engineering work, what might cause the charges to increase?
• Can they show you that all the employees they send to you are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All civil engineers in Marin County CA that bear The Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Will the structural engineers in the Marin County CA provide a warranty for their engineering plans or designs?
• Will permits be needed for the civil engineering work? If so, who will be responsible for getting them, you or the engineers?
• Do the structural or civil engineers in Marin County CA do the engineering work themselves, or do they use a team of technicians working under them?
• Will the local civil engineering firms in Marin County CA provide a written contract for the engineering work?
• What is the engineers' projected price? Does that include the fees for filing permits?
• Can the civil and structural engineers advise through the construction phase?
• Will they show you proof of their California state license, which is required by law? (All civil engineers in Marin County CA that bear The Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already had their state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
After you've identified the best civil engineeers in Marin County CA for your specific needs, make sure they have a good complaint record. (All civil engineers in Marin County CA that bear The Prime Buyer's Report - TOP 10 symbol have already had their good complaint record verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About Civil Engineers in Marin County CA
Associations & Licensing Relevant to Civil Engineers in Marin County CA
AAWRE American Academy of Water Resource Engineers www.aawre.org
ACSM American Congress on Surveying and Mapping www.acsm.net
ANSI American National Standards Institute www.ansi.org
APWA American Public Works Association www.apwa.net
ASCE American Society of Civil Engineers www.asce.org
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
CBPELS California Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors www.dca.ca.gov/pels
GLIS Geographic and Land Information Society www.glismo.org
NABIE National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers www.nabie.org
NSPE National Society of Professional Engineers www.nspe.org
Media & Web Resources Relevant to Civil Engineering Services in Marin County CA
California Builder and Engineer
Civil Engineering Magazine
Consulting-Specifying Engineer Magazine
Engineering News Record
Environmental Science and Engineer Magazine
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Civil Engineers in Marin County CA within the following zip codes.
94976, 94973, 94977, 94979, 94971, 94938, 94957, 94966, 94914, 94950, 94913, 94933, 94948, 94912, 94978, 94915, 94964, 94929, 94942, 94963, 94937, 94946, 94949, 94970, 94904, 94941, 94901, 94930, 94940, 94974, 94925, 94903, 94960, 94924, 94965, 94956, 94945, 94939, 94947 and 94920
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Civil Engineering in Marin County CA within the following cities.
Bel Marin Keys, Belvedere, Belvedere Tiburon, Black Point, Bolinas, Corte Madera, Dogtown, Fairfax, Greenbrae, Ignacio, Inverness, Kent Woodlands, Kentfield, Larkspur, Marin City, Marinwood, Marshall, Mill Valley, Muir Beach, Muir Woods, Nicasio, Novato, Point Reyes Station, San Anselmo, San Marin, San Quentin, San Rafael, Santa Venetia, Sausalito, Stinson Beach, Strawberry Point, Tamal, Tamalpais Valley, Terra Linda, Tiburon, Dillon Beach, Forest Knolls, Lagunitas, Mission Rafael, Olema, Ross, San Geronimo, Tomales, Woodacre, Almonte, Lucas Valley and Sleepy Hollow