The Best Interior Designers in Staten Island NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Spend With
Interior designers in Staten Island NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are those interior designers that have exceeded the minimum New York regulatory standard. They are the ones proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for ability and value, and for whom our staff has called previous clients to verify high satisfaction with them for interior design in Staten Island NY, including residential and commercial interior designers.
Updated December 05, 2018
Staten Island, NY 10304
Staten Island, NY 10306
Staten Island, NY 10307
Staten Island, NY 10308
Staten Island, NY 10312
Staten Island, NY 10314
The Best Interior Designers in Staten Island NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Spend With
Interior designers in Staten Island NY are not required to be licensed by the State of New York, so there is no state standard for competency. Those interior designers who wish to be able to say they are Certified Interior Designers must get that designation from New York state by showing a minimum combined amount of education and previous experience, and passing the NCIDQ exam (National Council of Interior Design Qualification).
But that is no guarantee that any particular interior designer in Staten Island NY is doing business ethically, providing value, or satisfying clients.
This makes it all the more significant that all interior designers in Staten Island NY that bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous clients to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, best business practices, sufficient length of time in business, and more.
What's the difference between Interior Designers and Interior Decorators?
There is a difference between the terms interior designer and interior decorator. Interior designers design functional spaces with an understanding of the likes, wants, and behavior of the people who will be using it. Interior decorators are those who furnish a space taking the aesthetics into account such as fabrics, color, etc. Interior decorating is part of what interior designers do, but interior designers are also equipped to recommend structural changes such as the removal or addition of walls, doorways, windows etc., though they don't conduct those changes themselves unless they also hold a state contractors registration. The barrier to entry to become an interior designer is usually much greater than to be an interior decorator and interior designers usually can demonstrate college or design school degrees, and industry accreditations.
While there is no state license or other legal standard for interior designers, there is a designation of Registered Interior Designer which is applied for and earned by passing an exam.
What is the value to finding an interior designer?
In the digital age, there is a growing number of online computer imaging tools that let the average consumer see and compare different choices in colors, fabrics, materials, fixtures and more. But there are also lots of medical websites that list symptoms, yet we all agree that a real diagnosis and solution should come from an actual doctor and we wouldn't undertake a certain course of treatment and the expense for it based only on something we saw online. Similarly, interior designers provide value that computer imaging tools can't. They have spent years learning, living and breathing design, material properties, and judging performance after installation for previous clients. For example, a consumer can pick among colors and finishes of a coffee table online, but a designer will be able to also consider the consumer's lifestyle based on previous experience such as knowing that if they have children, a particular shiny finish will be hard to keep clean of fingerprints. Or there's more to fabric selection than just color and texture. Perhaps flame retardant qualities should be a priority in a house of smokers, or new carpets not made with off-gassing chemicals for a house of the chemically sensitive client or just those who are super health conscious. Interior designers have run across these problems and found solutions before for previous clients.
Interior Designers Save You Money
Technology allows consumers to do more and more design elements themselves that previously they would have hired a designer for. This might let a consumer believe that they are saving money by not hiring an interior designer, yet interior designers save you money. For example, while a consumer can use a retailer's website to mix and match color and fabric choices on a couch, a designer will know of many more options available than the consumer can possibly know, thus they are able to provide greater satisfaction in the long run and items that perform better. So it costs you more to try to go it alone when you end up dissatisfied in just a few years and spend all over again to replace items because you didn't like it as much as you could have, or due to poor performance, or with a home remodel that could have provided a bigger resale price with a designer's input, reaping tens of thousands of dollars more upon the sale.
Interior designers often get steep discounts on furnishings not available to the consumer due to special manufacturer relationships or greater purchasing volume.
Home Staging in Staten Island NY
Some interior designers and interior decorators have a specialty of staging a home for sale. They use their years of previous experience combined with their knowledge of the latest trends in colors and fashions to get a higher price and a quicker sale.
Some Interior Designers in Staten Island NY Are Much Better than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these interior designers in Staten Island NY: Mini Mansion Interiors Staten Island NY, Sean Psomas Interior Designer Staten Island NY, Finishing Touch Interiors LLC Staten Island NY, Design Force Interiors Inc Staten Island NY, DNA Design Group Staten Island NY, Golden Key Interiors Inc Staten Island NY, Polo M.A. Inc Boonton NJ, Lori-Girl Creations Huntington Station NY. Others doing interior design in Staten Island NY who might still be in business include: Nouveau Riche Interiors Inc Staten Island NY, American & Intl Design Staten Island NY.
Questions To Ask Interior Designers in Staten Island NY
When choosing which Staten Island interior designer to hire in Staten Island NY and your area, ask the right questions about their experience, education, range of services, and credentials:
• How long have the local interior designers been in business and providing interior designs and interior decorating services?
• How many interior design projects have they done specifically in Staten Island NY?
• What is their experience doing projects similar to the one you have planned? (Such as size of home, value of home, residential interior designers versus commercial interior designers, etc.)
• Can the local interior designers give you names and numbers of clients you can call as references? Can they give you references that had similar work done as the interior design services you're considering so you can get feedback about what you can expect during the process? (All interior designers in Staten Island NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have already had their client references called by our research staff.)
• Do the interior design companies charge for estimates? If so, how is that amount calculated?
• If they charge for interior design estimates, will they apply that fee to your final bill if you decide to hire them for decorating services?
• What is the hourly rate of the local interior designers, and will they be able to give you an estimate of the finished project total cost? (This is important because cheap interior designers in Staten Island and the surrounding areas may only appear to be less expensive by quoting a lower hourly rate and then taking much longer to complete the project, ending up being more costly than an experienced interior designer with a slightly higher hourly rate.)
• Do the interior decorating companies have a particular specialty you should know about?
• Regardless of their specialties, are they familiar with your preferred style and can they work with you to create the home of your dreams?
• Can the interior design firms show you proof of active liability insurance and, if sending employees to your property, workers comp insurance for your protection? (All interior designers in Staten Island NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have had proof of insurance verified by our research staff.)
• Do the professional interior designers use interior design software that will help you visualize your space as you make choices?
• What school(s) did the interior designer go to, and what degrees do they hold? Do they have additional training or certification that pertains to interior design and interior decoration?
• How many clients do the Staten Island interior design firms typically handle at one time? What does this mean in terms of their availability to you?
• Who will be your point of contact at the interior design company on an ongoing basis, the owner or an employee?
• If the interior designers recommend structural changes to your home or office building, do they have a state contractor's registration to do the work themselves? If not, will you or the interior designer be responsible for hiring and managing a contractor? If it's the designer, what is the name of that outside contractor they propose using?
• Do the interior designers have special relationships with distributors or manufacturers?
• What kinds of samples do the interior designers have available for you to see and feel?
• How will the interior decorators show you examples of their previous interior design projects?
When you've chosen the best interior designers in Staten Island for your needs, make sure they have a good complaint record by checking local agencies and consumer agencies. (All interior designers in Staten Island NY bearing the Prime Buyer's Report Top Ten symbol have had their complaint status checked by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report.)
Resources About Interior Designers in Staten Island NY
The following is a list of trade publications, consumer publications, and associations related to interior designers in Staten Island:
Regulatory Bodies & Trade Associations Related to Interior Designers in Staten Island NY
ASID (American Society of Interior Designers)
ASID New York Chapter (American Society of Interior Designers New York Chapter)
AIGA New York (The Professional Association for Design)
IIDA (International Interior Design Association)
IIDA New York Chapter
AIDP (Association of Interior Design Professionals)
IDS (Interior Design Society)
CID (Certified Interior Decorators)
IFI (International Federation of Interior Designers)
IDEC (Interior Design Educators Council)
NCIDQ (National Council for Interior Design Qualification)
AAHID (American Academy of Healthcare Interior Designers)
CSD (Chartered Society of Designers)
CIDA (Council for Interior Design Accreditation)
OBD (Organization of Black Designers)
New York City Interior Design Society
New York Chapter | International Furnishings and Design Association
Publications Relevant to Interior Design Services in Staten Island NY
Interior Design Magazine
Luxe Interiors + Design Magazine
Home Design Magazine
Healthcare Design Magazine
Interior Design and Contemporary Homes Magazine
Style At Home
Workspace Design Magazine
Design for Living
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Interior Designers in Staten Island NY within the following zip codes:
14469, 12746, 11104-2, 10308, 10307, 10306, 10314, 10305, 10313, 10312, 10311, 10310, 10309, 10304, 10303, 10302 and 10301
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Interior Designers in Staten Island NY within the following cities:
Arden Heights, Arrochar, Bloomfield, Bull's Head, Castleton Corner, Dongan Hills, Elm Park, Eltingville, Emerson Hill, Grand City, Graniteville, Grant City, Great Kills, Heartland Village, Huguenot, Mariners Harbor, Midland Beach, New Dorp, New Springville, Oakwood Beach, Park Hill, Port Richmond, Richmond Town, Rosebank, Rossville, St George, Stapleton, Staten Island, Sunnyside, Todt Hill, Tompkinsville, Tottenville, Westerleigh and Woodrow