How to Get the Best Retaining Walls in Contra Costa County CA
Retaining walls are built to contain a higher level of ground or prevent down-slope movement of soil. This means a retaining wall can be anything from a three-foot garden wall to a large wall to hold back an entire hillside. Retaining walls can be made of many different materials, including wood, redwood, pressure treated wood, timber, log, steel beam, brick, cement, cinder block, stone, cabrion cages, and more. A retaining wall needs to function properly to prevent collapsing, but for many homeowners, visual appeal is also important.
The following research by The Prime Buyer's Report lists the best retaining wall contractors in Contra Costa County CA and the issues related to hiring them.
Updated November 04, 2016
How to Get the Best Retaining Walls in Contra Costa County CA
Retaining wall contractors in Contra Costa County build different types of new retaining walls such as gravity walls, piling walls, cantilever walls and anchored walls, and they do so with a variety of materials and aesthetic design choices such as redwood, timber, pressure treated wood, log, steel, rebar, cabrion, cement, stone, tiered retaining walls, and more. Most local retaining wall builders will also perform retaining wall repair.
In California, there is no single license classification for retaining walls specifically, but a contractor's license is necessary and the exact license classification the contractor performs under is often determined by the specific materials that company uses or the size and complexity of the retaining walls they build. The fact that there is not a single license classification for the building of a retaining wall is all the more reason to choose only a contractor proven experienced as retaining wall builders in Contra Costa County CA.
If the local retaining wall contractor has employees, they are required to have workers' compensation insurance for the protection of their employees and customers. If an employee of theirs were to be injured on your property and the company doesn't have that coverage, the injured employee could file suit against your property insurance, resulting in higher premiums for you or even outright cancellation, or a suit against you if your own insurance won't cover it.
Companies for the building of a retaining wall in Contra Costa County are not legally required to have general liability insurance, however all retaining wall contractors bearing The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 designation have general liability insurance coverage, which reimburses customers in the event of any damages, in addition to passing all other requirements for certification as Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10, such as research phone calls to previous clients, hiring only documented workers, verified license and workers' comp insurance, clean complaint record, and more.
Types of Retaining Walls
Four common types of retaining walls are gravity, cantilever, piling, and anchored.
A gravity retaining wall is the simplest type of retaining wall, which relies on its own weight to hold the earth piled against it.
Compared to gravity retaining walls, cantilever retaining walls add a lever arm at the base, extending below the earth being held back, so the weight and pressure of that pile of earth acts as an opposing force to the lateral pressure of that same earth.
Piling retaining walls extend long piles far below ground so that the new retaining wall is fixed by the soil on both sides. If the material of which the piles are made can resist the bending forces of the earth piled against it, this wall can take high loads.
An anchored retaining wall is one where cables are driven into the rock or soil the wall is meant to retain, fixed by expanding anchors. An anchored wall can be combined with the other types of retaining walls.
Retaining Wall Materials
Retaining walls are made in a variety of materials and aesthetic design choices including wood, redwood, stone, rocks, timbers, steel I-beam, steel rebar, logs, soldier pile, cinder blocks, pressure treated wood, cabrion cages, and more.
Some Contractors for Retaining Wall in Contra Costa County Are A Better Value Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these contractors for new retaining walls in Contra Costa County CA: AcuStruct, Inc. Concord CA, Lebec, Inc Brentwood CA, Ward Construction Inc Richmond CA, FDRW Inc Brentwood CA, All Access Richmond CA, Mares & Dow Construction Concord CA, Douglas M Butler Landscaping Walnut Creek CA, JD Gardening & Landscape Richmond CA. Other local companies that install or repair retaining walls in Walnut Creek CA that might still be in business include: Cowan & Thompson Martinez CA, Tib's European Quality Concord CA.
Questions to Ask Retaining Wall Contractors in Walnut Creek CA
When it comes to building a retaining wall in Contra Costa County CA, ask these questions about the abilities, experience, and credentials of the contractors you're considering hiring:
• How many other retaining walls have they done specifically in Contra Costa County, indicating how familiar or not they are with your local building ordinances, soil conditions, and rainfall.
• Can the retaining wall builder give you names and numbers of previous customers who you can call as references? (All retaining wall builders bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report so you don't have to.)
• Do the retaining wall contractors have experience in the same kind of project as yours, such as the exact type of retaining wall (piling, gravity,anchored, or cantilever), the same size retaining wall (or larger), and using the exact same kind of material (wood, steel I-beams, cement, stone, etc)?
• What formula do they use to determine pricing?
• Will the retaining wall contractors provide written estimates and if so, will it detail the exact type of material to be used including the amount of material, its dimensions, composition, and if applicable, the brand name, allowing you to make accurate comparisons among bids?
• What permits for the retaining wall are required for your area of Contra Costa County? Will they be pulling the necessary permits or do they expect you to do that? If they will, is that cost included in their price quote or is it extra and by how much? Be aware that unpermitted work can prevent you from selling the property and even subject you to hefty fines and repair fees to get it to code.
• Can the company demonstrate that all their employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? (All retaining wall contractors bearing The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Can they show you proof of active workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All retaining wall companies bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• In preparation for a written bid for your evaluation, what process will they undertake to do a thorough assessment of the site, including soil conditions, local building codes, and more?
• Will they provide a written warranty for their labor beyond the 1 year warranty mandated by the state of California?
• How will they handle cost overruns due to inadequate planning and will this be specified in the written contract? Do they guarantee to absorb any such costs or will they expect you to?
• Do they give any kind of guarantee of completion by your deadline date?
• How well do the retaining wall contractors know their crews? Do they personally hire and train their crews, or do they bring them in from the outside on a project-by-project basis?
• How often and when do they clean up your job site?
• If the retaining wall is residential, will you have access to your property during the project?
When you've chosen the most suitable contractor for your exact kind of retaining wall in Contra Costa County CA make sure they are licensed with a state contractor's license. (All retaining wall contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had their license verified by research staff at The Prime Buyer's Report so you don't have to.)
Resources About Retaining Walls in Contra Costa County
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Contractors for Retaining Walls in Contra Costa County CA within the following zip codes:
94516, 94575, 94511, 94570, 94548, 94820, 94528, 94808, 94527, 94807, 94524, 94802, 94522, 94569, 94513, 94523, 94596, 94850, 94506, 94521, 94549, 94805, 94565, 94519, 94806, 94804, 94598, 94531, 94518, 94547, 94564, 94597, 94509, 94520, 94803, 94563, 94595, 94507, 94517, 94530, 94561, 94583, 94514, 94526, 94801, 94582, 94553, 94525, 94556 and 94572
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Retaining Wall Contractors in Contra Costa County within the following cities:
Alamo, Antioch, Bay Point, Blackhawk, Brentwood, Briones, Byron, Clayton, Clyde, Concord, Crockett, Danville, Discovery Bay, El Cerrito, El Sobrante, Hercules, Hilltop Mall, Lafayette, Martinez, Moraga, N Richmond, North Richmond, Oakley, Orinda, Pacheco, Pinole, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Point Richmond, Port Chicago, Richmond, Rodeo, San Pablo, San Ramon, Tara Hills, Walnut Creek, West Pittsburg, Knightsen, Diablo, Canyon, Bethel Island, Port Costa, Cowell, Kensington, Kensington, Los Medanos, Maltby, Rheem Valley, Vine Hill and Walnut Heights CA