The Best Landscape Companies in Chicago IL Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Landscape companies in Chicago IL bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the landscapers proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who hire only documented workers, and for whom our staff have called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as landscape contractors or landscape designers in Chicago IL.
Updated February 12, 2019
The Best Landscape Companies in Chicago IL Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Illinois does not require landscape contractors in Chicago IL to have any state license, so there is no state test for competency in landscaping or irrigation systems.
Since there is no state license, there is no requirement that landscapers in Chicago IL first show proof of worker's comp insurance or liability insurance before performing landscaping, and both are critical to you.
If an employee of theirs were injured on your property and the landscape contractors don't have workers' comp, you will be held liable. Similarly if any accidental damage occurs to your property and the landscape services have no liability insurance, you will be on the hook for it.
So there is no guarantee that any particular landscape company in Chicago IL is even competent, is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all landscape designers and landscape companies in Chicago IL bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as having passed all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified worker's comp and liability insurance, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Landscape Companies in Chicago IL Perform Numerous Landscaping Services
Landscape contractors, landscape designers, and landscape architects are equipped to perform a variety of techniques to convert your drab yard into your ideal outdoor environment, whether it's a small garden design or a business park. If you need a complete landscape renovation, they'll start that landscape renovation process by removing and disposing existing vegetation, pests, and weeds.
Because a beautiful garden requires thorough maintenance, landscapers can build certain features into the infrastructure of the landscape that make it easier for future care. They'll can improve the foundation and water efficiency of the yard by installing lawn irrigation and drainage systems, installing sprinkler systems, grading the plot, and laying down new sod.
After the initial landscape work is completed, the best landscapers in Chicago IL will begin to sculpt the design of your choice. Some can work with many themes, creating Japanese gardens, deer resistant gardens, Feng Shui designs, xeriscapes, permaculture designs, or eco friendly landscaping designs.
Once the decorative process begins, some landscapers in Chicago IL can construct and install trellises, gazebos, or arbors to give the area some texture. They may also be able to do hardscaping like walkways and other hardscape features. When it comes time to bring your yard back to life, landscapers can plant nearly any flora you prefer, includingIllinois native plants and grasses, olive specimens, junipers, berry vines, or fruits and vegetables.
Good landscapers in Chicago usually supply the basics as well, like groundcover, flowerbeds, shrubs and trees. Other structural enhancements include stone hardscapes, terraces, lighting, firepits, outdoor kitchens, and barbecues. Some landscape contractors can also build a number of water features, including koi ponds, fountains, ponds, or waterfalls.
Landscapers even design and install systems to maintain your new water features or make your new garden design eco-friendly. Low moisture plants, drip irrigation, French drains, pond filtration systems, and water-wise irrigation systems can reduce your water bill and keep your yard looking good at the same time.
Some local landscapers in Chicago IL can arrange for future landscape maintenance services as well, with follow-up visits that include rototilling, seeding, pruning, weed control, fertilization, erosion care, and arbor care. The best landscapers are versed in all aspects of landscaping in the local climate, so you can trust in their landscape designs and expert advice for your next landscaping project.
Even if your outdoor environment has never been landscaped or the landscape design was done by another landscaping company, some local landscape contractors in Chicago are also willing to perform ongoing landscape maintenance services that include garden care, lawn care, grass cutting and more.
Synthetic Grass & Artificial Lawns in Chicago IL
Many local landscape firms can install synthetic grass in Chicago, often referred to as artificial turf, synthetic grass, artificial lawns or fake grass as an alternative to real sod. Uses for artificial grass include putting greens, bocce courts, playgrounds, sports fields, or other high traffic areas.
Artificial lawns do still require some maintenance for the removal of organic debris, but maintenance costs are often still lower for artificial grass due to the lack of weeding and mowing service needed and water conservation. Some types of synthetic grass in Chicago get hot with direct exposure to the sun, so the appropriateness of synthetic lawns in Chicago depend on the site, the intended use, and exact material the artificial grass is made from.
Ask to make sure the landscape company you choose for artificial lawn installation already has lots of experience with synthetic grass and the issues that are specific to it. Also a company that can offer more than one type of artificial lawn gives you the advantage of options for cost and the material it's made from rather than be pushed into one kind of synthetic turf simply because the company only sells or knows how to install one type of artificial grass.
Synthetic grass and artificial lawns have varied lifespans so look at the manufacturer's warranty. Most artificial turf is warranted to hold its color and integrity for six years or more. Common brands of artificial grass in Chicago include Pregra Artificial Grass, SYNLawn, AstroTurf, FieldTurf, ForeverLawn, ProGreen, SmartGrass, Synthetic Turf International.
Some Landscaping Contractors & Landscape Designers in Chicago IL Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these landscaping companies and landscape designers in Chicago IL: .
Other landscapers in Chicago IL that might still be in business include: .
Questions to Ask Landscape Companies in Chicago IL
When interviewing landscape companies in Chicago IL, ask these questions about their abilities, previous experience, and credentials before hiring:
• How long have they been doing landscaping in Chicago IL? (Different geographic regions have unique weather and soil conditions that determine choices in plants, drainage, lawn sprinklers and irrigation systems. Plenty of experience specifically in Chicago shows knowledge of these local conditions.)
• How many landscape projects have they completed similar to yours in terms of size and specific elements (water features, outdoor kitchen, lawn sprinkler installation, etc.) residential versus commercial, drought-tolerant plants, etc.?
• Can the landscape contractor or designer give you names and numbers of clients that you can call for references? (All landscape companies in Chicago IL bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their client references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will they give you the cost estimate in writing, with full itemized detail, including the amounts of each material to be used, product brand names, and product numbers? (This is key because cheap landscape companies in Chicago often only seem cheap by using low quality brands or less material that other companies).
• What are the manufacturer warranties on the material to be used?
• Do they provide a written guarantee for their labor, aside from manufacturer warranties, and for how long?
• What is their policy regarding repair or replacement of plants that die after installation and for how long?
• Will Chicago or your city require a permit for the project, and if so, will the landscape company get the permits as part of their cost estimate, or is it an extra cost, or do they leave getting that permit up to you?
• Can they vouch that all their employees are legal to work in the U.S.? (All landscape companies in Chicago IL bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Do they use only their own employees, or do they hire subcontractors? If so, what are the names of those companies so that you can research them too?
• Will they show you proof of active workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All landscape companies in Chicago IL bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)