The Best Construction Companies in Douglas County CO Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
General contractors in Douglas County CO bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the construction companies that have met a higher standard than the minimum state, county, or city regulatory standard. They are those proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, carry liability insurance for your protection, who use only employees verified legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as residential or commercial builders in Douglas County CO, including new custom home builders.
Updated February 13, 2019
The Best Construction Companies in Douglas County CO Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Colorado doesn't require any state license of residential or commercial general contractors in Douglas County CO, instead leaving it up to the cities, and for unincorporated areas, the county as to whether or not the industry is regulated, so there is no state standard for competency for new home builders or commercial general contractors in Douglas County CO.
But even a city or county license, if required, is no guarantee that any particular general contractor in Douglas County CO is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all residential or commercial construction companies in Douglas County CO who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified county or city license (where applicable), verified liablity and workers comp insurance for your protection, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Not all general contractors in Douglas County CO can be equally experienced in every specialized area of construction. For instance some general contractors might be decent custom home builders but are not sufficiently experienced specifically as green builders in Douglas County CO for eco-friendly construction or LEED Certified homes or buildings.
So find general contractors in Douglas County CO based on the specific type of work you need done. Some general contractors specialize as custom home builders in Douglas County CO, as design/build contractors, as commercial contractors or as municipal construction companies. Regardless of the particular construction services you need, there are general contractors in Douglas County CO who can perform the kind of construction you want done.
Some General Contractors in Douglas County CO Are Better Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these general building contractors in Douglas County CO: .
Other construction firms, home builders and general contractors in Douglas County CO that might still be in business include: .
Questions To Ask General Contractors in Douglas County CO
Step 1: Describe The Construction Work to the General Contractors in Douglas County CO
When you talk with general contractors in Douglas County, explain what type of construction you need. Be consistent so each of the construction companies can submit an estimate based on the same information.
Step 2: Ask Questions and Take Notes
Before you create a list of possible general contractors for your construction project, ask them some important questions about their technical abilities, experience, and the specifics of your construction project. When the general contractors ask you questions, take notes on their concerns. They may reveal some aspects of the construction that are new to you.
Ask the general contractors the following questions about their experience, abilities, and methods:
• How long have they been builders in Douglas County CO specifically?
• How many other projects have they done that are like yours? (Custom home building versus commercial building versus green builders in Douglas County CO, etc.)
• Will the general contractor give you names and numbers of customers that you can call as references? (All general contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had customers references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How long will it take them to prepare a written bid once they conduct the estimate?
• Will they show you proof of workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All general contractors in Douglas County CO bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will the general contractor prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All builders in Douglas County CO bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire legally documented workers.)
• How do they determine pricing? For example is it T&M (time and materials) or a flat price and how are cost overruns handled?
• Will they give you a written contract that details the exact brands of products, model numbers, materials and amounts to be used? Neglecting to show those in writing is a way that seemingly cheap contractors unrealistically underbid others to get your project. Either you're getting poor materials that look bad or will fail. or you request better materials once the job is underway and the cost goes up accordingly.
• What type of written guarantee does each of the construction companies provide and what are the terms?
• Will construction permits be needed? If so, will the general contractors be responsible for getting those or do they leave that to you? Failure to get permits is another way cheap contractors in Douglas County are able to underbid legitimate ones. Unfortunately unpermitted work can stop you from selling the property and even make you liable you to big fines and repair costs to get it to code.
• Will they be bringing in subcontractors for your project and if so, what are those company names?
• How often and when will they clean up the work site?
When you've chosen the best contractors in Douglas County CO for your specific needs, make sure they are licensed by your city or county if that is required by law, since the state of Colorado doesn't require any state license for general contractors. (All general contractors in Douglas County CO bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had a city or county contracdtor license (if required by law) verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About General Contractors in Douglas County CO
Associations & Regulatory Agencies Related to General Contractors in Douglas County CO
ABC Associated Builders and Contractors www.abc.org
Associated Builders and Contractors Connecticut Chapter www.ctabc.org
AGCCT Associated General Contractors of Connecticut www.ctconstruction.org/agcct/
ASA American Subcontractors Association www.assaonline.com
CCIA Connecticut Construction Industries Association www,ctconstruction.org
HBACT Home Builders Association of Connecticut www.hbact.com
Connecticut Home Builders Association www.ct.gov/dcp/cwp/view.asp?q=430570
Associations & Regulatory Agencies Related to Green Builders in Douglas County CO
ASE Alliance to Save Energywww.ase.org
AWEA American Wind Energy Associationwww.awea.org
Build It Green www.builditgreen.org
BMRA Building Materials Reuse Association www.buildreuse.org
CGF Community Greenhouse Foundation www.communitygreenhouse.org
CMRA Construction Materials Recycling Association www.cdrecycling.org
GBA The Green Building Alliance www.gballiance.com
GG Global Green USA www.globalgreen.org
NABCEP North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners www.nabcep.org
NPPR National Pollution Prevention Roundtable www.p2.org
NSUS The Natural Step www.naturalstep.org
PPRC Pollution Prevention Resource Center www.pprc.org
SBIC Sustainable Buildings Industry Council www.sbicouncil.org
SEC Sustainable Energy Coalition www.sustainableenergycoalition.org
USGBC United States Green Building Council www.usgbc.org
Media &Web Resources Relevant to General Building Contractors Douglas County CO
Building Design and Construction
Connecticut Builder Magazine
Environmental Design and Construction Magazine
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
New Old House
Old House Journal
This Old House
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 General Contractors in Douglas County CO within the following zip codes:
80129, 80163, 80104, 80126-2, 80138, 80124-2, 80135, 80118, 80134, 80116, 80131, 80109, 80130 and 80108
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Construction Companies in Douglas County CO within the following cities:
Acres Green, Castle Pines, Castle Pines North, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Meridian, Parker, Perry Park, Roxborough Park, Stonegate, Pinery, Carriage Club, Cottonwood, Heritage Hills and Castle Pines Village