The Best Roofers in Essex County MA MA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Roofing contractors in Essex County MA MA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are ones who have met a higher standard than the minimum Massachusetts state standard. They are those proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for ability and value, have liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who use only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as roofers in Essex County MA MA for new roofing, re-roofing, or roofing repair including shingle roofing, shake roofing, metal roofing, tile roofing and more.
Updated November 04, 2016
The Best Roofers in Essex County MA MA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of Massachusetts requires residential roofing contractors in Essex County MA MA to be registered by the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation (OCABR). Commercial roofers are not required to be registered at all. Residential roofers doing work over $500 must have the state registration of HIC. A holder of the HIC registration is not required to pass any kind of examination as to competency or knowledge. If the work is extensive enough to involve the building's structural elements, then a license known as a CLS is necessary, for which passing an exam is required but it is not one specific to ability or knowlege as roofers.
But even in the case of the CLS license, that is no guarantee that any particular roofing contractor in Essex County MA MA is doing business ethically, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all roofing companies in Essex County MA MA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as research phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, proof of liability insurance and workers comp insurance for your protection, good complaint record, verified state license (for residential roofing), only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Roofing Contractors in Essex County MA MA Perform Numerous Services
Roofing contractors install new roofs, but their experience with certain tasks and materials can vary. for instance, pitched roofs require a greater level of skill to install or repair. Most roofing companies in Essex County MA MA also perform regular roof maintenance or roof repairs, including foam recoats and shake roof conversions. Some roofing contractors in Essex County MA MA do emergency roofing repairs in the event of a roof leak, often with 24 hour availability.
In addition to installation and roof repair for roof coatings and coverings, some roofers install downspouts and gutters (even seamless gutters). Some of the best roofing contractors in Essex County MA use manufacturer certified technicians to install, repair or refurbish your roof, so you can expect a greater level of workmanship and better manufacturer warranties on their work.
In addition to new roofing, roofing companies can fix a leaky roof, replace roof shingles, or repair broken slate roofs.
The Best Roofing Contractors in Essex County MA MA Offer Multiple Roofing Materials
There is such a wide variety of roofing materials and styles and each roofing material has its own benefits. Choices include shake roofs or imitation shake roofs, wood shingle roofs, cedar shingle roofs, clay tile roofs, slate roofs or even concrete tile roofs.
There are roofing companies in Essex County MA MA who specialize in metal roofs. They can fix or recoat steel roofing, steel roof shingles, stone coated steel roofing, aluminum roofing, insulated aluminum roofing, corrugated metal roofing, copper roofing, or zinc roofing. Some local roofing contractors can rejuvenate an aging roof and take preventative measures to avoid future roof problems. They might use adhesive methods or modified bitumen to lay down new fire resistant roofing, or may apply elastomeric coatings or polyurethane foam for protection against the elements. In addition to basic roof coverings, some roofing contractors apply hot tar, tar and gravel, or install custom roof edging.
There are also some new products available for the eco-minded homeowner. Instead of wooden roof shingles, roofers might substitute composite roofing or energy efficient roofing. Some roofers in Essex County MA MA even have access to ventilation products to insert into your preexisting roof.
There are three main roof types based on their slope or pitch: High Slope, Low Slope, and Flat.
High Slope Roof: Over five inches of vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
Low Slope Roof: Two inches to five inches of vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
Flat Roof: Less than two inches vertical rise for every 12 horizontal inches
The components of a roofing system are: Structural Support, Roof Sheathing, Underlayment, Flashing, and Roofing Material.
Structural Support: Rafters, trusses or joists that support the roofing system.
Roof Sheathing: What immediately covers the structural support. This is most commonly plywood or OSB (Oriented Strand Board).
Underlayment: A moisture barrier immediately on top of the roof sheathing. Sometimes called roof felt.
Flashing: Where the roof surface meets vertical surfaces (like a chimney) or at valleys created where adjoining roof sections of different angles meet, a metallic flashing is installed.
Roofing Material: The topmost layer of the roof which you can see, such as shingles, tile, etc.
Asphalt Shingles, or alternatively, Fiberlass Shingles
Rolled Roofing / Built Up Roofing: Used for flat roofs or very low slope roofs.
Foam Roofing / Polyurethane Roofing: Used for flat roofs as an alternative to Rolled Roofing or Built Up Roofing
Tar & Gravel
Reflective Lightweight Rocks
Clay Tile / Concrete Tile
Ice and Water Shields for Roofing
A roofing ice and water shield looks very similar to the traditional felt paper used to line roofs but is higher performance. Felt paper stops most leaks where water gets under the tiles or shingles but sometimes still lets leaks form by letting water through where one sheet of felt paper overlaps another or where nails have created holes in the felt paper.
The ice and water shield roofing material is made of a rubberized asphalt with a sticky backing that seals overlaps unlike felt paper, and forms a seal around nails when it is penetrated. Roofers in Essex County MA MA can cover your entire roof with the ice and water shield, or apply it only where leaks frequently happen. The roofing contractors can also bend the ice and water shield to create a leak-proof barrier around anything that penetrates a roof, such as vents, chimneys, and skylights, then use standard roof flashings to cover the ice and water shield sub-flashing.
Some Roofers in Essex County MA Are Safer To Spend With Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these roofing contractors in Essex County MA MA: Andover Roofers LLC Andover MA, Letoile Roofing Co Inc Haverhill MA, Progressive Roofing Inc Haverhill MA, Weathertight Roofing North Andover MA, Thomas Burke Roofing & Gutters Lynnfield MA, J&M Roofing Salisbury MA, US Roofing Peabody MA. Other roofing contractors in Essex County MA MA who might still be in business include: Lambert Roofing Co Haverhill MA.
Questions To Ask Roofing Companies in Essex County MA MA
When choosing which roofer to hire, ask the right questions about their experience, range of services, credentials, and methods and materials.
• How long have they been in business as roofers in Essex County MA? This indicates how well they know the local city ordinances, codes, and permit requirements for your area.
• How many roofs have they done specifically in Essex County MA? This indicates how well they know the performance of different materials and installation methods in your particular climate, rainfall and wind patterns.
• How many roofs have they done of the same type as yours, i.e. same materials: clay tile versus asphalt shingle, same type: flat versus high slope, and same scope: repair only versus tear-off and reroof versus new roofing, etc.
• Can the roofing company give you customer names and numbers you can call as references? (All roofing contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customer references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
· What is the projected time frame for completion of the new roof installation or roof repair?
• Does the roofing contractor have active workers' compensation and general liability insurance for your protection? (All roofers in Essex County MA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How will the roofing companies calculate pricing for new roofs or roof repairs?
• Will they provide a written estimate that specifices the exact amount of material to be used, including sizes, brand names, product numbers etc? (This is key because the cheapest roofing companies often only seem cheaper because they are quoting inferior materials or low quality brands compared to other roofers.)
• Will the roofing contractors provide a written contract?
• Will permits be needed? If so, will they be responsible for getting them or will that be up to you?
• Can the roofing contractor prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All roofing companies in Essex County MA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• How often and when do they clean up?
• What is the manufacturer's warranty on the roofing system or material the contractor is suggesting?
• What kind of warranties and guarantees on their labor do they offer besides the manufacturer warranty on the roofing materials, and can you see a copy?
• Do they offer multiple types of roofing materials and brands, or are they restricted to quoting one manufacturer?
• For new roofing or re-roofing, does their quote include replacing the flashings around chimneys and vents? Not doing so is one way that cheap roofing companies merely appear cheap.
• What type of wood will be used on your roof and in what thickness? For example, using cheap plywood made from pine which is suseptible to warping is another way cheap roofers merely appear cheaper, as opposed to using plywood made from stronger Douglas fir.
• Will they being using nails (proper) or instead using staples (cheaper and faster for them but lacks holding power and can invalidate a manufacturer's warranty)?
When you've chosen the best roofing contractor in Essex County MA MA for your specific needs, make sure they have a license as a contractor from the state of Massachusetts which is required by law if the roofing is residential. (All roofing companies in Essex County MA MA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their Massachusetts state license verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Good Roofing Companies in Essex County MA MA Use Good Roofing Brands
Good roofers in Essex County MA MA use the best roofing materials. Some companies purchase these materials at discounted rates and then pass the savings on to you. Other roofers are able to qualify you for a manufacturer's warranty on their labor by being pre-approved by some brand manufacturers. Some of the better roofing brands include: Energy Star Cool Roofing Systems, CertainTeed Roofing, Firestone Building Products, Atlas Roofing Corp., GenFlex Roofing Systems, Recon Building Products, Award Metals, Dura-Loc Roofing Systems, , Elk Building Products, Hardishake, PABCO, Tamko Roofing Products, Gardner-Gibson Materials, DECRA Roofing Systems, Stone Metal Products, GAF Materials, Eagle Roofing Products and Air Vent.
Resources About Roofing Companies in Essex County MA MA
Licensing & Trade Associations Related to Roofers in Essex County MA MA
BBB Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
NRCA National Roofing Contractors Association www.nrca.net
NERCA North East Roofing Contractors Association www.nerca.org
SRCA Slate Roofing Contractors Association www.slateroofers.org
TRI Tile Roofing Institute www.tileroofing.org
OCABR Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-prot-and-bus-lic/license-type/csl/construction-supervisor-license.html
Media & Web Resources for Roofing in Essex County MA MA
Professional Roofing Magazine www.professionalroofing.net
Roofing RSI Magazine
Roofing Contractor Magazine www.roofingcontractor.com
Traditional Roofing Magazine www.traditionalroofing.com
Roofing Magazine www.roofingmagazine.com
Metal Roofing Magazine constructionmagnet.com/metal-roofing-magazine
Spray Foam Roofing Magazine sprayfoammagazine.com
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Roofing Contractors in Essex County MA MA within the following zip codes:
1903, 1915, 1937, 1952, 1983, 1902, 1913, 1936, 1951, 1982, 1901, 1910, 1931, 1950, 1971, 1885, 1908, 1930, 1949, 1970, 1860, 1907, 1929, 1945, 1969, 1906, 1923, 1944, 1966, 1905, 1922, 1940, 1961, 1985, 1904, 1921, 1938, 1960, 1984, 1830, 1842, 1810, 1841, 1840, 1835, 1834, 1833, 1845, 1832, 1844, 1831 and 1843
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Roofers in Essex County MA MA within the following cities:
Amesbury Town, Beverly, Danvers, Gloucester, Haverhill, Lawrence, Lynn, Lynnfield, Marblehead, Methuen Town, Nahant, Newburyport, Peabody, Salem, Saugus, Swampscott, Andover, Boxford, Essex, Georgetown, Groveland, Hamilton, Ipswich, Merrimac, Middleton, Newbury, North Andover, Rockport, Rowley, Salisbury, Topsfield, Wenham and West Newbury