The Best Remodelers in Washington County PA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Remodeling contractors in Washington County PA bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are the commercial or home remodelers who have exceeded the minimum Pennsylvania state standard. They are those proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for competency and value, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who have agreed to hire only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as commercial or home remodelers in Washington County PA, including home improvement companies and home repair services.
Updated November 04, 2016
The Best Remodelers in Washington County PA Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
Remodeling contractors in Washington County PA are not required to have any state license and they must merely be registered with the state of Pennsylvania as Home Improvement Contractors for any work over $500. Not even that mere registration is required to perform as commercial remodelers. So there is no state enforced standard for competency among remodeling companies.
Obviously then, state registration for home improvement companies is no guarantee that any particular commercial remodeler or home improvement company in Washington County PA is even competent, is doing business ethically, providing lasting value, or satisfying their customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all commercial or home remodelers in Washington County PA who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as research phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, proof of liability insurance and workers comp insurance for your protection, good complaint record, verified state registration (for residential home improvement only), only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Questions to Ask Remodelers in Washington County PA
When hiring commercial or home remodelers in Washington County PA, ask these questions about their abilities, experience, and methods before hiring:
• How long have they been doing business specifically as remodeling contractors in Washington County PA?
• Will they show you examples of remodels they've completed that are similar to what you want done?
• Will the remodeling contractors give you names and numbers of previous clients you can call as references? (All remodeling contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their customers references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Do they have experience with the exact kind of remodeling you want? The expertise needed to build a patio cover or sunroom is different than that needed for a home addition, which in turn is different than a second story addition.
• Will they give a written bid with complete detail on the exact fixtures, items, and brands including product numbers, types of material and amount of material to be used? (This is critical because cheap remodeling contractors often only appear lower cost because they intentionally quote for only the lowest cost items, knowing that later you will probably want upgrades once you see them, which will the make the final cost much higher than their unrealistically low cost estimate.)
• Can they forsee any aspects that are unknown until the project is underway, such as what's under floors, inside ceilings, behind walls, that could change the cost of the project, and by how much specifically in each case? (Some home remodelers only seem cheap because they don't tell you about these possible unknowns, either due to lack of experience to anticipate them, or purposely to look like the low bidder in order to get your business).
• Is the individual who is doing the estimate (and making promises to you) the same one who will be doing the remodeling or overseeing the project? Or instead, will you be handed off to a different person in the company and if so, who?
• Will the remodeler give you a written contract to sign?
• How soon after the contract is signed will they begin?
• What is the project timeframe from contract signing to completion?
• Once the remodeling starts, will they be there every day until done , or is it possible they will be absent for days at a time to do work for other customers? If so, will this alter the estimated completion date?
• Can they prove to you that all their employees are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All remodelers in Washington County bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Will they give any written guarantees on their workmanship besides manufacturers warranties on products used, and if so, for what time period and what in included?
• Is a permit required by your city for the remodeling you intend? If so, will the remodeling be getting those permits or do they leave that up to you?
• Will they be using only actual employees of their company, or instead do they bring in subcontractors? If so, what are the names of those subcontractors so you can research those?
• If they do use subcontractors, will you pay those subcontractors directly, or does the remodeling contractor do that? If the remodeling company, will they collect and give you a lien release from each subcontractor as assurance for you that those subcontractors will not file a lien on your property for any claims against the remodeler, such as if they are not paid on time?
• If you will be using the space while it is being remodeled, such as living in your house during a home remodel, how often and when do they clean up throughout the project?
• What methods or equipment do they use to keep the remodeling as clean as possible while you're using the space, for example air filters, dust barriers etc?
• How often will they communicate to you their expected schedule and by what method?
• Will they show you copies of their liability insurance and workers' compensation insurance? (All remodelers in Washington County PA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
When you've chosen the best remodeling contractors in Washington County PA for your specific needs, make sure they are registered with the state of Pennsylvania as Home Improvement Contractors if the project is home remodeling. (All residential remodeling companies in Washington County PA bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their state Home Improvement Contractor registration verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Resources About Remodeling Contractors Washington County PA
Licensing & Trade Associatioins Related to Remodelers in Washington County PA
ABC Associated Builders and Contractors (http://www.abc.org/)
ASA American Subcontractors Association (http://www.assaonline.com/)
BBB Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.com)
NARI National Association of the Remodeling Industry (http://www.nari.org/)
NARI of Central PA www.nariofcentralpa.org
Media & Web Resources for Remodelers in Washington County PA
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
New Old House
Old House Journal
This Old House
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Remodeling Contractors in Washington County PA within the following zip codes:
15342, 15367, 15427, 15340, 15363, 15423, 15333, 15361, 15419, 15332, 15360, 15412, 15350, 15378, 15483, 15348, 15377, 15477, 15347, 15376, 15434, 15345, 15368, 15432, 15067, 15323, 15063, 15322, 15060, 15321, 15057, 15317, 15055, 15314, 15331, 15313, 15330, 15312, 15329, 15301, 15324, 15033, 15022, 15021, 15019, 15004, 15054, 15053 and 15038
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Remodelers in Washington County PA within the following cities:
Monongahela, Washington, California, Canonsburg, Charleroi, Donora, Canton Township, Carroll Township, Cecil Township, Chartiers Township, Fallowfield Township, North Franklin Township, North Strabane Township, Peters Township, Smith Township, South Strabane Township, Union Township and McMurray