The Best Construction Companies in Westchester County NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
General contractors in Westchester County NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are construction companies that have exceeded the minimum New York state regulatory standard.
They are the ones proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for value and reliability, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who have agreed to hire only documented employees, and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as as residential or commercial builders in Westchester County NY, including new custom home builders.
Updated February 13, 2019
Armonk, NY 10504
Larchmont, NY 10538
Scarsdale, NY 10583
Yonkers, NY 10704
Yonkers, NY 10710
The Best Construction Companies in Westchester County NY Are the Ones Proven Safe To Hire
The state of New York requires only that residential general contractors in Westchester County NY be registered with the state as new home builders in order to do residential construction, with no test or exam as to ability or knowledge, so there is no state standard for competency and reliability among custom home builders and other residential construction companies.
There is no such registration required of commercial general contractors, such as builders of office buildings, medical buildings, malls and other retail construction.
So obviously even the state registration for new home builders is no guarantee that any particular general contractor in Westchester County NY is competent, doing business ethically, providing value, or satisfying their customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all residential or commercial construction companies in Westchester County NY who bear The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified state registration (for home builders), verified worker's comp and liability insurance, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Questions To Ask General Contractors in Westchester County NY
Step 1: Describe The Construction Work to the General Contractors in Westchester County NY
When you talk with general contractors in Westchester County, explain what type of construction you need. Be consistent so each of the construction companies can submit an estimate based on the same information.
Step 2: Ask Questions and Take Notes
Before you create a list of possible general contractors for your construction project, ask them some important questions about their technical abilities, experience, and the specifics of your construction project. When the local general contractors ask you questions, take notes on their concerns. They may reveal some aspects of the construction that are new to you.
You may want to ask the local general contractors you're considering the following questions about their experience, abilities, and methods:
• How long have they been general construction builders in Westchester County NY?
• How many other projects have they done that are like yours? (Custom home building versus commercial building, construction project management, etc.)
• Will the Westchester County general contractors give you names and numbers of previous and current customers that you can call as references? (All general contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had customer references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How long will it take them to prepare a written bid once they conduct the estimate?
• Will they show you proof of workers' compensation and liability insurance? (All general contractors in Westchester County NY bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• Will the general contractors prove that all their workers sent to your property are legally allowed to work in the U.S.? (All general builders in Westchester County NY bearing The Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already signed an agreement to only hire legally documented workers.)
• How do the local general contractors determine pricing? For example is it T&M (time and materials) or a flat price? How are cost overruns handled? How are change orders handled?
• Will they give you a written contract that details the exact brands of products, model numbers, materials, and amounts to be used? Neglecting to show those in writing is a way that some seemingly cheap contractors unrealistically underbid others to get your project. Either you're getting poor materials that look bad or will fail or you have to request better materials once the job is underway and the cost goes up accordingly.
• What type of written guarantee does each of the construction companies provide and what are the terms?
• Will construction permits be needed? If so, will the general contractors be responsible for getting those or do they leave that to you? Failure to get permits is another way cheap contractors in Westchester County are able to underbid legitimate ones. Unfortunately unpermitted work can stop you from selling the property and even make you liable to big fines and repair costs to get the work to code.
• Will the general contractors be bringing in subcontractors for your project? If so, what are those companies' names? Will the Westchester County general contractors ensure that the subcontractors are licensed, covered by their own or the general contractors' liability and workers' compensation insurance, skilled, and legally allowed to do the work in question?
• How often and when will they clean up the work site?
When you've chosen the best contractors in Westchester County NY for your specific needs, make sure they are registered with the state of New York. (All general contractors in Westchester County bearing the Prime Buyer's Report—TOP 10 symbol have already had their state registration status as New Home Builders verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
Tips About General Contractors and Construction Companies in Westchester County NY
Have A Plan For Evaluating Local General Contractors and Builders
There are good commercial builders and home builders in Westchester County NY. Feel free to have more than one conversation with local general contractors before moving forward, and prepare beforehand what you want to cover each time. You'll be happier with the end result when you make the time to properly outline your job and carefully match a local builder to your needs.
Write a Description of the Job for the Builders
Write up a paragraph or two (depending on the intricacy of the job) about the project specifics before contacting local construction companies in Westchester County NY.
Since each general contractor will see the same written specifics, you'll be sure that you are comparing responses on an equal basis.
Then you can better judge which construction company gave you the best answers to your consistent description.
Don't Decide Based on Price Alone
It's okay to get a few estimates for comparison. But remember, price should not be your only determining factor. Cheap contractors in Westchester County NY are usually not the best ones, and a cheap bid often turns out to be the most expensive in the long run due to cost overruns, or poor work that has to be fixed or redone by someone else. Instead, ask local general contractors to give you specifics about materials (brand and grade, if possible), numbers of items, finish products, and other details that will help you see all of the quality and value they're building into your project.
Get Details in Writing
Ask the local general building contractors in Westchester County to give you all details in writing to prevent conflicts later. Ask the general contractors to provide you with a written description of the construction work, pricing, and a time frame for completion.
They should also be willing to give you written warranties and detail in writing any verbal commitments they've made. Don't be afraid to ask about adding items to the bid or contract; good general contractors should want to provide you with all of the specifics you need to make a good decision and to protect both your interests and theirs.
Maintain Great Communication During the Construction Work
Communication is an often overlooked skill with general contractors. But to maintain a successful working relationship, both parties must make keep one another informed. If you have doubt about how the project is going, don't jump to conclusions. Instead, call and ask the builder about your concerns. There may be a reasonable explanation for changes or delays.
Commitment In Advance to do a Walk-Through Upon Completion
After the project is finished, return to the agreement you signed and walk through the site with the most senior staff member available at the Westchester County construction company to compare the results to the particulars in the contract. Bring up any items that differ from what was agreed to.
Resources About General Contractors in Westchester County NY
Associations & Licensing for General Contractors in Westchester County NY
ABC Associated Builders and Contractors www.abc.org
ACCNJ Associated Contractors of New Jersey www.accnj.org
ABCNJC Associated Builders & Contractors of New Jersey www.abcnjc.org
ASA American Subcontractors Association www.assaonline.com
BCANJ Building Contractors Association of NJ www.bcanj.com
BCASJ Building Contractors Association of South Jersey www.bcasj.com
BLSJ Builders Legue of South Jersey www.blsj.com
Metropolitan Builders & Contractors Association of NJ www.metrobca.org
NAHB National Association of Home Builders www.nahb.org
NJAA New Jersey Apartment Association www.njaa.com
NJBA New Jersey Builders Association www.njba.org
NJSA New Jersey Subcontractors Association www.njsubcontractors.org
SBACNJ Shore Builders Association of Central NJ www.shorebuilders.org
General Building Contractors Media &Web Resources
Building Design and Construction
Environmental Design and Construction Magazine
Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine
Home & Design
New Old House
Old House Journal
This Old House
Western Interiors and Design
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 General Contractors in Westchester County NY within the following zip codes:
10538, 10552, 10576, 10591, 10604, 10705, 10803, 10536, 10550, 10573, 10590, 10603, 10704, 10802, 10535, 10549, 10570, 10589, 10601, 10703, 10801, 10533, 10548, 10567, 10588, 10598, 10702, 10710, 10532, 10547, 10566, 10583, 10597, 10701, 10709, 10530, 10546, 10562, 10580, 10596, 10607, 10708, 10528, 10543, 10560, 10578, 10595, 10606, 10707, 10805, 10527, 10540, 10553, 10577, 10594, 10605, 10706, 10804, 10511, 10526, 10510, 10523, 10507, 10522, 10506, 10520, 10505, 10519, 10504, 10518, 10502, 10517, 10501 and 10514
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Construction Companies in Westchester County NY within the following cities:
Dobbs Ferry, Harrison, Jefferson Valley-Yorktown, Mount Kisco, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Peekskill, Port Chester, Scarsdale, Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, White Plains, Yonkers, Bedford, Cortlandt, Eastchester, Greenburgh, Lewisboro, Mamaroneck, Mount Pleasant, New Castle, North Castle, Ossining, Pelham, Rye, Somers, Yorktown and Highlands