The Best Waterproofing Contractors in Austin TX Are the Ones Proven Safe to Hire
Waterproofing contractors in Austin TX bearing The Prime Buyer's Report TOP 10 symbol are ones proven by our independent research to have passed the TOP 10 requirements for value and ability, carry liability insurance as protection for you the customer, who use only employees legal to work in the U.S., and for whom our staff has called previous customers to verify high satisfaction with them as waterproofers in Austin TX, including basement waterproofing, crawl space waterproofing, french drain installers, and more.
Updated September 11, 2018
The Best Waterproofing Contractors in Austin TX Are the Ones Proven Safe to Hire
The state of Texas does not require any state license for waterproofing contractors in Austin TX so there is no state standard of competency among waterproofing companies. Similarly, there is no requirement that they first show the state proof of liability and workers comp insurance, and both are critical to you. If the waterproofing contractors don't have it and accidental damage occurs to your property, or an employee of theirs is hurt on your property, you can be on the hook for the cost.
So there's no guarantee that any particular waterproofing contractor in Austin TX is even competent, is doing business honestly, delivering value, or satisfying customers.
This makes it all the more significant that all contractors for waterproofing in Austin TX who bear The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have been cleared by our research staff as passing all the requirements for Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 status such as survey phone calls to previous customers to verify high satisfaction, good complaint record, verified worker's comp and liability insurance, only employees legal to work in the U.S., and more.
Waterproofing is most effective when done at the time of construction because concrete itself is not watertight on its own. One approach is the application of waterproof membranes of various materials like bitumen, silicate, or polymer sheets that act as a barrier between the building and the water. A more recent approach uses additives to the concrete itself, known as integral waterproofing systems. There are two types of integral systems to give concrete a waterproof quality: hydrophilic which replaces the water in the concrete with crystals, and hydrophobic which uses fatty acids to block pores within the concrete, preventing water passage.
But the need for waterproofing contractors in Austin TX often involves solving water leaks, water seepage, and flooding in existing structures, especially cellars, basements, and crawl spaces.
Basement Waterproofing in Austin TX
There are two categories of basement flooding. One is surface water entering the basement from the walls, including windows, wall cracks, pipe penetrations leaks, or basement wall seepage. The other category is groundwater in the basement through the floor slab, or the cove joint which is where the basement floor and walls meet. This kind of water seepage is referred to as hydrostatic pressure. Good waterproofing contractors will start by determining if the flooding is through the walls or through the floor (hydrostatic pressure) or both.
Basement Flooding from the Walls
Basement water problems are rarely solved by applying waterproof compounds to the interior walls since those interior coatings will degrade over time or can't handle the pressure of water already penetrating the wall. Cellar dewatering or basement waterproofing is properly done on the exterior, so that water never accumulates around the foundation. This may include grading the soil to keep water at least 15 feet away, installing a drywell if a downhill slope to the foundation is unavoidable, extending gutter downspouts further away from the walls, and correcting window wells that accumulate water.
Basement Flooding from the Floor Slab (Hydrostatic Pressure)
The amount of ground water can increase with rainfall, causing hydrostatic pressure that pushes water through the cellar floor. The most common solution is installing a drainage system which includes a drainage pipe, gravel or drainage stone, concrete to cover the gravel, and a discharge system consisting of a sump basin and sump pump. Proper installation of a basement drainage system will prevent seepage by removing water before it rises to the level of the basement floor and divert it to a sump well recessed in the floor where a sump pump discharges it elsewhere. Basement drainage systems are usually installed along the interior part of the foundation and can be retrofitted into homes when exterior drainage systems fail or don't exist.
Sump pumps ideally should include a battery back-up to prevent failure during power blackouts since storms can be the common source of both rainfall and power outages.
Crawl Space Waterproofing in Austin TX
Originally it was believed that moisture control of crawl spaces was achieved by venting the crawl space to the outside. More recent experience indicates that crawl space venting leads to moisture problems like mold, rot and insects because the moisture level of crawl spaces fluctuates with the outside humidity, while a closed crawl space remains dry.
For existing crawl spaces, waterproofing a crawl space includes fixing water entry problems, closing off the wall vents, installing a full ground moisture barrier (lining the ground with plastic) inside the crawl space. The crawl space should not be closed off if there is unresolved water entry or if furnaces or water heaters are supplied with air from the crawl space. If the hot water heater relief line and drain pan terminate in the crawl space, piping should be added to run these lines to outdoors to prevent overflow from flooding the crawl space.
Installing a crawl space drain will prevent plumbing leaks and water spills from creating standing water on top of the ground moisture barrier (such as ground lining polyethylene). Moldy crawl space air can be prevented from entering the house by sealing floor holes and duct leaks. Closing the crawl space from outdoors includes sealing wall vent openings with rigid foam and sealing with caulk, expanding foam, or mastic, sealing all wall penetrations for electrical and plumbing, and adjusting the crawl space door or access panel for a tight fit.
Sealing a crawl space can reduce moisture levels such that hardwood flooring above it may shrink and show gaps while some previously buckled by moisture have flattened out. Some waterproofing companies may recommend permanently installing a dehumidifier inside crawl spaces.
Full Service Waterproofing Versus One-Size-Fits-All
Many waterproofing contractors offer only one kind of solution, or their own patented system. If your own research or an independent inspection has already determined that's exactly the kind of waterproofing you need, then it can make sense to hire that company.
But if you have not determined yet the exact cause of the problem and the right approach, then a company that sells only one kind of waterproofing might not be the best option. Some waterproofing contractors are full service, meaning they provide multiple options and approaches and can recommend one based on an inspection of your property and determination of the exact causes of water seepage or water leaks in your case.
And remember, cheap waterproofing has not saved you any money when it fails to work, so think long term, and look for written guarantees, which can be anywhere from several years, decades, or a lifetime warranty for waterproofing services and waterproofing materials.
Some Waterproofing Contractors in Austin TX Are A Better Value Than Others
The Prime Buyer's Report lists these local contractors for waterproofing in Austin TX: . Other local waterproofing companies in Austin TX that might still be in business include: .
Questions to Ask Waterproofing Contractors in Austin TX
When it comes to waterproofing in Austin TX, ask them these questions about the abilities, experience, and credentials of local waterproofing contractors:
• How long have the waterproofing companies been waterproofing homes and businesses in Austin TX specifically? (Different areas can have unique soil conditions, water table, and rainfall issues that it helps to be experienced with.)
• Do the local waterproofing companies provide only one type of waterproofing services? What types do they provide?
• In the case of basement waterproofing, do the Austin waterproofing companies do exterior work or only interior? If they do basement drain systems, are they above the footing (might be less effective) or sub-floor (below the slab)?
• How many other waterproofing jobs have the local waterproofing companies done of the exact type you're seeking (sub floor interior drains and sump pumps, soil grading, liquid sealants, basement waterproofing, crawlspace waterproofing, etc). Different types of waterproofing requires different skills, tools, and experience.
• Can the Austin TX waterproofing company give you names and numbers you can call as references? (All waterproofing contractors bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had customer references called by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• How do the waterproofing contractors determine pricing for waterproofing materials and services?
• Will the waterproofers be performing every stage of the work, or do they use subcontractors?
• Is there a written guarantee for waterproofing services? If so, for how many years, and what are the terms? In the case of a promoted lifetime guarantee, what is the assurance that the guarantee can be made good if the contractor goes out of business? Is a lifetime guarantee on waterproofing services transferable if you sell your home or the building you had waterproofed?
• Can the Austin waterproofing contractor vouch that all employees sent to your property are legal to work in the U.S.? (All waterproofing companies in Austin TX bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have signed an agreement to only hire documented workers.)
• Do the local waterproofing companies have active workers' compensation and general liability insurance? (All waterproofing contractors in Austin TX bearing The Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had proof of insurance verified by our research staff so you don't have to.)
• What inspection work will each waterproofing company do before preparing an estimate?
• How long will the waterproofing services take? Does the local waterproofing company give any guarantee of completion by your deadline?
• How well do the waterproofing companies in Austin know their crews? Do they personally hire and train their crews, or do they hire them on a project-by-project basis?
When you've chosen the best waterproofing contractors in Austin TX for your needs, make sure they have a good complaint record, especially since there is no state regulatory oversight of waterproofing companies and no state license required of them. (All waterproofing companies in Austin TX bearing the Prime Buyer's Report-TOP 10 symbol have already had their good complaint records verified by our research staff.)
Resources About Waterproofing in Austin TX
The following is a list of trade associations and publications related to waterproofing contractors.
Regulatory Bodies & Trade Associations for Waterproofing in Austin TX
Basement Health Association
The Waterproofing Contractors Association
SWRI (Sealant Waterproofing and Restoration Institute)
LRWA (Liquid Roofing & Waterproofing Association)
SWA (Sealant and Waterproofing Association)
NAWSRC (National Association of Waterproofing and Structural Repair Contractors)
Publications for Waterproofing Companies in Austin TX
Clear Water Repellent Manual
Architectural Roofing & Waterproofing Magazine
If you are looking for weatherproofing or waterproofing, The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Waterproofing Contractors in Austin TX within the following zip codes:
78660, 78708, 78717, 78725, 78733, 78742, 78751, 78759, 78767, 78654, 78705, 78716, 78724, 78732, 78741, 78750, 78758, 78766, 78653, 78704, 78715, 78723, 78731, 78739, 78749, 78757, 78765, 78652, 78703, 78714, 78722, 78730, 78738, 78748, 78756, 78764, 78645, 78702, 78713, 78721, 78729, 78737, 78747, 78755, 78763, 78641, 78701, 78712, 78720, 78728, 78736, 78746, 78754, 78762, 78621, 78691, 78711, 78719, 78727, 78735, 78745, 78753, 78761, 78617, 78669, 78709, 78718, 78726, 78734, 78744, 78752, 78760, 78768 and 78610
The Prime Buyer's Report provides information for the TOP 10 Waterproofing in Austin TX within the following cities:
Austin, Barton Creek, Bee Cave, Briarcliff, Elgin, Garfield, Hornsby Bend, Hudson Bend, Jonestown, Lago Vista, Lakeway, Lost Creek, Manchaca, Manor, Pflugerville, Point Venture, Rollingwood, Shady Hollow, Sunset Valley, Hills, Wells Branch, West Lake Hills, Windemere, Anderson Mill, Onion Creek, Del Valle and McNeil